Are ADV going bust or something?

Gawyn said:
Dracos said:
The odd thing with this I have watched a few ADV R1 DVDs that have only been out a couple of weeks in the US and they all still advertise newtype usa and findanimenetwork.com, so I wonder how long this has been in the pipeline.
Probably not more than a month or two. The DVDs tend to get mastered several months (probably between 2 and 4 depending upon how quickly the publisher wants it/can manage it) ahead of their release. Once it has been mastered it becomes expensive and time consuming to remaster it, which could easily delay a release beyond its intended release date. All thing considered it becomes uneconomical to go back, remaster the DVD, reprint the whole batch and scrap the thousands of DVDs you already had printed (in the UK I understand that ADV print their DVDs 2-3 months before the release date and that probably holds true for ADV US).

Makes sense. I wonder how long before the adverts for PIQ start up then.

Sorry I know this old but a question came to my mind today.

Why did newtype (a magazine published by ADV) have many pages of anime which they didnt license?? it seems stupid to me them advertising anime they did not own.

Im missing somthing here arnt I?

Kireek said:
Why did newtype (a magazine published by ADV) have many pages of anime which they didnt license?? it seems stupid to me them advertising anime they did not own.

I'm not entirely sure. But i thought it was to do with the fact that its just a japanese magazine that they liscenced. They just translated it, i thought.

Though, to be honest, i'm just guessing. I dont know for sure.

Maltos said:
Kireek said:

I'm not entirely sure. But i thought it was to do with the fact that its just a japanese magazine that they liscenced. They just translated it, i thought.

i think that pretty much hit the nail on the head, while most of the content was just tranlated from the japanese content they created new content in the same way shredding light on the other companies products, i thought it was nice seeing them all get along

PIQ was an abortion of a magazine. That's all I'll say on that subject.

ADV however
In short ADV are a cataloge of disasters.

Every second or so big name show they got never got released (Under thier name at least) and they would never open up about the issues they had, and before anyone says, it's way too blasted late for Ledford to stand up and say "We've had a Crappy year".

No ****, Sherlock, I don't need you or your lace to tell me that ADV's been having a crap year.

But I suppose everything was summed up when they lost the rights to Gurren Lagann to Bandai and within a week of them geting the rights they got a TV deal with Manga Ent. In short, what ADV had been trying for Six months, Bandai got done in a fortnight.

Maybe Funimation can show them the right way to handle Keroro gunsou and we can have ADV learn some damn humillity about the subject.

Maltos said:
Kireek said:

I think moreso than anything to do with the translation the magazine's licence was conditional upon them promoting all anime and not just the stuff they had the licence for. I would suspect that is a greater contributing factor since it would otherwise smeer the name of the magazine as a promotional vessel for ADV (I am sure they stated or hinted at that at one point in time.)

Gawyn said:
I think moreso than anything to do with the translation the magazine's licence was conditional upon them promoting all anime and not just the stuff they had the licence for. I would suspect that is a greater contributing factor since it would otherwise smeer the name of the magazine as a promotional vessel for ADV (I am sure they stated or hinted at that at one point in time.)
Exactly, if it was just a big advert for ADV who the hell'd buy it?

Hmm good points, I was just looking at some old issues of newtype you see. Makes me sad its no longer here was a quality magazine. Oh and I had to laugh when they said PIQ is going to be better that newtype first issue wasnt to bad i picked that one up but afterwards........well im glad it died a quick death.

Back