Appleseed- Which Version?

BlackWolf

Godhand
Right after a realisation that i didn't have much of Shirow's animated adaptions other then Ghost in the Shell i picked up the second version of his Domimion Tank Police (New Domimion Tank Police). Then i went to search for another one of his works, Appleseed and then i noticed there was two versions again, the 1988 anime movie and the 2004 CGI movie.

So which version of Appleseed is the better adaption? Or are they just the same with different animation techinques?

Note: I'm also looking at his original manga stories that Dark Horse have been translating and putting out, but so far i only have Ghost in the Shell, since the prices of the others is kinda high.

The 1988 OVA is watchable but not particularly memorable. It's just about worth the four quid it goes for these days. I haven't seen either of the CGI movies and so can't compare them.

I've seen both but, like fabric said, the 1988 version wasn't very memmorable... infact I only just remamber watching it myself. On the other hand I really enjoyed the 2004 CGI release (thought it was older). I actually have that on DVD in the steel Box. I enjoyed it for both the story and the animation. The cell shading is cool ^__^

I vote CGI movie mate.

I haven't seen the 1988 version. Stayed clear of it because of bad reviews, which seem to be being proved accurate. The 2004 (and Ex Machina IMO) are both good, but not great. The CG animation is more impressive than the plot on both occasions - but they're action orientated films so don't let that put you off.

Man your getting into Shirow too??

I dunno but im gonna be watching Appleseed CGI within the next week or so; so I'll tell you on msn what I think.

Thanks for the replies guys, i've got the CGI Appleseed on order now :) I may take a look at the anime one later on as long as the price says the same.

Spyro201 said:
Man your getting into Shirow too??

yeah i am :p

Bonus question: The original Dominion Tank Police anime yay or nay?

YAY! It's the better of the two IMO.

It acts as a prequel to the Manga, and is better if you have either already read it, or intend to do so afterwards.

I got the UK version as it only cost me £3 a disc. It is dub only, but it's an old-skool British Manga dub so it actually adds to the entertainment value. :D

BlackWolf said:
Bonus question: The original Dominion Tank Police anime yay or nay?
YAY also. I'm with Ayase. I love Domion but it's not for everyone. Better than NEW DTP because it introduces the chracters rather than just throwing you straight in there.

ayase said:
I got the UK version as it only cost me £3 a disc. It is dub only, but it's an old-skool British Manga dub so it actually adds to the entertainment value. :D
While I do enjoy the old Manga UK dubs (Cyber City's is an absolute classic), I'd rather have the choice between that and the more faithful subtitled version.

EDIT: Off topic, I know, but here's a classic example of Cyber City's somewhat "loose" dub script, which I posted on another forum a while back. I've put the English dialogue in spoiler tags because of the sailor-esque language and Dave might have a coronary. I don't know if Dominion's is anywhere near as bad, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Subtitle script:

Sengoku: Wow, spooky case! They got us looking for vampires now!
Benten: Actually, the vampires of legend were tragic creatures. Eternally young but forever craving human blood.

Dub script:

Sengoku: Hey, Benten, don't crap your pants if you see a vampire!
Benten: Get lost. You wouldn't recognize a God damn vampire if one jumped up and bit you on the end of your ******* dick. So just get off my back.

I'm not a Shirow fan but I did quite like DTP. Preferred New to the original but both earned a spot on my shelf.

R

So how hard is it to get the region one version then these days? Thanks for the feedback in any case :) Also after looking on MAL i just noticed that there was an Appleseed TV series, any one know anything about that?

Whoa, I knew absolutely nothing about Appleseed TV. I'll be sure to catch it when it begins airing in April.

BlackWolf said:
So how hard is it to get the region one version then these days?
Dominion Tank Police? Very difficult. For a reasonable price, anyway.

theunderfiend said:
wha???

Appleseed TV...in april

what channel?

Heard about this, allegedly it was going to be CGI like the new movies. Could go either way though - A TV budget will really restrain what they can do.

Actually i'm not sure if it's still coming out or not now, after some digging it seems there was trouble behind the scenes, and production of it was halted back in june/july :( A shame, sounded like it was going to adapt more of the manga.

Back