Anyone up for a Gundam Unicorn watch-along?

Yeah sorry I was properly zonked yesterday. I think it's more than living up to my expectations in pretty much all the areas I had high hopes for, and exceeding my expectations in some places I had fears about. Basically it's got all the talky, po faced, meticulously considered hard sci I could have hoped for, in a rich world that feels like it has a real history and weight and has been fleshed out painfully over years. But it really does a good job of explaining that world too, and I've not felt too lost at any point, despite having never seen anything in Gundam aside from a handful of Wing episodes I can barely remember. I always unfairly assumed for some reason that the series was full of nonsensical logic, unnecessary convolutions, and a chronic lack of explanation that all in all made it a chore to watch. There is very little of that to be honest, aside from two or three instances I consider minor offences such as I couldn't fathom just what Princess Zabi was hoping to achieve by talking to that Federation politician, there was no attempt to explain her rational there, it was just like "right I'm off to earth to talk to this guy and err hopefully do something good". And I guess the whole LA+ program thing with it's coordinates and all that was kind of never properly introduced clearly..

But it's a great world. It's incredible how many anime have pilfered and rehashed and recycled the motifs of Gundam, with the whole space colony terrorists vs oppressive earth government thing. I've seen at least several mech anime (though not to completion) with that same backdrop before and a lot of the same themes as Unicorn (which I assume generally recur in most Gundam shows), but I don't think the richness and detail of their worlds can really compare. Yeah the main characters in this aren't anything particularly special nor stand out to me, just perfectly serviceable, and the themes aren't anything new (even to a non gundam veteran, by now) but those themes and motifs are just classic, and they are executed so well in this.

Even though all the references and in jokes in this are lost on me, I can just imagine how satisfying it is to someone already well versed in the world.

anyway, roll on episode 5

Last edited by a moderator:
vashdaman said:
But it really does a good job of explaining that world too, and I've not felt too lost at any point, despite having never seen anything in Gundam aside from a handful of Wing episodes I can barely remember. I always unfairly assumed for some reason that the series was full of nonsensical logic, unnecessary convolutions, and a chronic lack of explanation that all in all made it a chore to watch.

That's pretty much Gundam Wing right there.

I get really frustrated when people say to me 'Oh yeah! I know Gundam!' and proceed to speak authoritatively about it...then it becomes clear that Wing is all they've seen. That show was a pretty good hook to snag new viewers with, and I know a few people who got their first taste of the franchise that way. But there's such a wealth of better material.

REALLY glad you've dipped your toe in, Vashdaman. At the moment, Gundam isn't the easiest of shows to track down for reasonable money anywhere, but I hope you'll keep investigating!

That's more like it! Yeah, the young Gundam protagonists do tend towards a naive idealism that makes them believe they can solve things by appealing to their adversary's humanity... It does occasionally work but most of the time someone ends up either imprisoned or dead. Glad you're enjoying it and look forward to seeing what you make of the last three eps.

Wing's in a different timeline altogether, so I wouldn't worry about that. What you should do after this though is watch the Original MSG movies, then Zeta Gundam. Because you know you want to.

Heck, if we were really feeling masochistic we could have a complete chronological UC Gundam watch-along.

Gemsy-chan said:
Lutga said:
A quick question - I wanted to double check, are the Unicorn BR's region free? As the ones on Amazon seem to be listed as Region A/1? > http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mobile-Suit-Gun ... am+unicorn
Yes they are region free, as I used to watch them on my PS3 and I've watched them on the blu ray player in front room which is B.

Thanks for the info - was confused by the Amazon info and didn't want to make a mistake ordering something that wouldn't work on my player.

Lutga said:
A quick question - I wanted to double check, are the Unicorn BR's region free? As the ones on Amazon seem to be listed as Region A/1? > http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mobile-Suit-Gun ... am+unicorn
I hope your not gonna get that one from amazon at £88 as you can get it half the price from http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/BCXA-827. I've always used unregistered SAL and get it marked as a 'gift' when getting blu ray from cdjapan and i've not been caught once for customs doing that.

Or if you want a UK retailer just email JP Books for an old fashioned mail order http://www.jpbooks.co.uk/ (they're legit and have a physical store in London).

My copy of volume 7 cost £45.50 plus £1.60 p&p that way. No customs risk and next day delivery, much better than Amazon's deal.

R

Thanks - I've never ordered internationally before so the customs thing kind of scares me.

Do you know if JP Books ever has them in-store? The shop's pretty near where I work so I might try popping in to see what they have - the prices seem pretty decent on the site, especially compared to Amazon.

Lutga said:
Thanks - I've never ordered internationally before so the customs thing kind of scares me.

Do you know if JP Books ever has them in-store? The shop's pretty near where I work so I might try popping in to see what they have - the prices seem pretty decent on the site, especially compared to Amazon.

They do, though their stock is tiny so it might be good to email ahead to check unless it's on your route anyway. I think they stock even fewer discs than ever now they've moved to the newer store.

R

Rui said:
Lutga said:

They do, though their stock is tiny so it might be good to email ahead to check unless it's on your route anyway. I think they stock even fewer discs than ever now they've moved to the newer store.

R

Thanks for the tip - popped in this lunchtime and they amazingly had all the volumes in stock, so picked up the set of seven for £220 - definitely cheaper than Amazon!

Lutga said:
Thanks for the tip - popped in this lunchtime and they amazingly had all the volumes in stock, so picked up the set of seven for £220 - definitely cheaper than Amazon!

Great! I hope you enjoy them :D

R

Back