Anyone up for a 2015 character battle?

Rui

Karamatsu Boy
Administrator
It's been a few years since the last AUKN Character Battle. I don't know how much demand there would be, but perhaps we could have another?

What do people think?

How about the number of characters involved?

Any special rules or restrictions (banned characters, maximum number of characters per series)?

R

I don't really see any need for banning, have some characters been known to use performance enhancing drugs in previous battles?

I'd certainly be up for this, but don't burden yourself with the responsibility of organising it if you don't have time for it right now Rui.

The old ones adapted the rules over time but the basic idea is that the users nominate a bunch of characters who are then paired up, tournament style, with one another and voted on in a series of regular rounds until the forum's most popular character for the year is crowned. Some people get more into it than others.

Proposed new system (basically designed to remove as much administration as possible because I'm lazy and on a lot of projects):

- Everyone is welcome to nominate 1-5 characters (specifying the series they're from). Not sure what participation will be like so not sure how many to limit people to; if a lot of people play I think it should be a low number so the roster reflects diverse tastes. I guess people can just rank their picks to make it easier to change the rules.
- I think it would be good to limit overall participation to 2 or fewer characters from a single series to avoid the latest flavour of the month titles dominating.
- Rui counts them up. Anyone with more than one vote automatically qualifies. There can be a sudden death blind qualification vote for any instances of a series having too many nominees or to fill the rest of the ranks.
- Not sure what's a good number for the total combatants, I don't want it to get too massive. We can see whether there's a natural cut-off after the nominations.
- Do we want to split it into guys and girls again? Animals of undetermined gender and agender characters can go in either category as needed if anyone nominates any.
- To save admin time finding decent pictures, perhaps the people nominating the characters can also provide a representative official picture of that character and the best ones will be chosen from the pool by the mod in charge.
- It would also help if they write a one-line introduction for that character to help them sell themselves to the audience.
- Anyway, once the lists are ready we'd do the usual thing and post one battle every few days. One vote per person. No cheating.

R

So we nominate a handful of characters, if that character also receives a 2nd nomination from another forum member they qualify, and then it's a series of 1v1 tournament style votes/polls to determine the winner?

Rosencrantz said:
So we nominate a handful of characters, if that character also receives a 2nd nomination from another forum member they qualify, and then it's a series of 1v1 tournament style votes/polls to determine the winner?

Yeah, I think it would be ok to have people who only got one nomination too, but anyone popular enough to receive several nominations clearly deserves to be at the front of the queue (as fun as it is being the only person voting for some obscure character nobody likes ;_; ).

For example (I have no idea what the actual numbers would be and I'm ignoring the gender split complication in this example):

20 people submit 5 nominations each, for a total of 70 unique characters of which 30 received two votes each.

Thus 30 automatically qualify, then if we decide we want around twice as many characters as that in the pool I'll take everyone's second and third nominations too. If fewer people submit nominations or there were a lot of holes from the auto-qualifying characters, I'll keep going down the lists until we have a full roster. If there are too many characters, there will be sudden death nomination fights to determine who should be knocked out.

If there are far too few characters nominated I'll delve into the 2009 character battle and fill the ranks with the most popular veterans. But hopefully we can at least get 20 people making nominations which should give a decent number of candidates.

The last format used initial rounds to wittle everyone down to 8 finalists then they duked it out in 1v1s, so as long as the numbers work out we can balance the number of people in the initial rounds for each gender group and let nature take its course after that.

R (I have no idea what I'm doing, can you tell?)

I'd attempt to take part. Nominating 5 characters I like then nominating a character per vs battle seems easy enough to me. If it turns out I'm understanding it right :p

I would love the character battles coming back again, I really had fun with the previous battles. Nominating 1-5 characters dounds good and so is splitting them into girls and guys again.

Ok, I've decided to give it a try and if it's a disaster we can sweep it under the rug again. A new post will appear soon.

R

I quite like this approach better than what me and Ryo did previously. Last time it was "everyones characters are in!" and while that gave everyones votes a chance, it made it too long, and as such way to unweildy for us. This will at least make things a lot more manageable, which i'm far more welcome to. if you need a hand with it all at any point Rui let me know! i'm free most days now, so i can do whatever when necessary~

Thanks Arbalest, I'll give you lots of boring tasks so you regret that :D

Will make a topic in mod HQ when there's stuff to be done.

R

Just bumping this topic to say a big thank you to everyone who participated in the battle this year and remind all that even though I locked the voting topics there's one here everyone can still post in if needed.

R

A very topical final in the end, given AL's announcement of their upcoming Fullmetal Alchemist release! Great performance from a series getting around to the 15th anniversary of the start of the manga quite soon.

Rui did such a good job that I can't wait to see what she comes up with for next year. ;)

Back