Any recommendations for series without miserable endings?

Tasker

Hunter
Howdie peeps and peepettes. :D

The title pretty much says it all really.

*Mini rant starts here. :wink: *

What is it with the Japanese and their fascination with misery?

I've lost count of how many times an anime series i've watched has gone : Happy - happy - happy - happy - happy - happy - happy - bit sad - why don't you slit your wrists?

It's gotten to the point where I can't decide whether to buy series on DVD or not because of not being sure how they're going to turn out, and to tell the truth it's starting to get on my nipples. :? e.g. - If I buy a series that's advertised like a comedy and start's off as a comedy, I don't want it to end with something depressing like everyone dying. :?

*End of mini rant.*

I'm not even that bothered if they have a few sad parts during the series ( as long as it's not killing off a favourite character, I really hate that :wink: ), but the ending can't be a depressing one.

So basically what i'm looking for is something along the lines of ( to name but a few ), Tench Muyo, Abenobashi, Planetes or Full Metal Panic.

You know what... stuff it, the whole series can be sad as heck if you want, but as long as the ending's a happy one I don't care. :D

Amen, brother (or sister). Know the feeling all too well. There was even a term for it 'Gainax ending'(an ending which has an entirely different mood to the rest of the series).
Looking round my collection, Dia Guard, Macross (saga and plus), Last Exile, Generator Gawl, Heat Guy J, Rahxephon, Infinite Ryvius, Armatige 3, El Hazard, Scrapped Princess and Zero Louise to name a few.

I know just what you need, Grave of the Fireflies ;)

On a more serious note, the best feel good anime I've come across has been Fruits Basket. Very sentimental, funny and touching without the typical corniness associated with much of the shoujo genre.

Hehe, thanks for the suggestions so far. :D

However, I already have these :

Dai-Guard - Although for some reason I still havnt gotten around to watching more than the first disk yet, you just reminded me to go back to it . :D

RahXephon - Hmm, happy ending, well, I suppose in a way it was. :)

Kiddy Grade - Got it, watched it ( several times ), loved it. But i'm gutted that the new second series isn't about Éclair and Lumière. :cry:

Nadesico - Love it to bits, the lack of a second series still irks me no end. :x ( Should also say - I havn't seen the film yet, and don't really want to after some of the things i've read about it. :( )

Paul said:

Oh shush you. :roll:

Tasker said:
Kiddy Grade - Got it, watched it ( several times ), loved it. But i'm gutted that the new second series isn't about Éclair and Lumière. :cry:

ummmm where did you get that info from? the website for it even features eclair and lumiere

anyway, carrying on

D.N.Angel, burnup excess, .hack//sign, negima, petite princess yucie

Midori no Hibi is a good comedy/splash of romance with a nice ending. Also if your into watching fansubs i will recommend Hanbun no Tsuki ga Naboru Sora. One of the best romance/drama animes i have seen the story is fantastic and then ending is so satisfying. will have to finish my review and post it soon.

Ryo Chan said:
ummmm where did you get that info from? the website for it even features eclair and lumiere

Got it from here http://community.funimation.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=17114

... Two new characters appear and form the basis of K-G.2. "Kufi-yu" and Asuku-ru" become the heroines of this work.

Obviously I don't know how true it is, but if it is then i'm a little peeved. :(

Oops back on track. :oops:

Thanks for the ideas, keep 'em coming. :p

I've never tried fansubs to be honest, truth be told I have no idea where to even go to look for them. lol :roll:

As the naked Mexican sat on the lawn once said... ' Grassy ****. ' :D

Definitely going to go back and finish off Dai-Guard ( I still have no idea why I stopped watching it to be honest. :? )

Air Gear This was always on my list of ones to get when it was released over here. :D

Love Hina Being unsure of the mood of the ending and the fact that the opinion on it seemed to be divided down the middle I was always 50/50 about this, but if it's ok, then i'll stick it on my list of ones to try. :)

Fruits Basket For some reason I always had the idea in my head that this series was a bit like Nadesico in that it ended a bit too soon. :?

El Hazzard I used to have some of this on VHS and loved it. I was always peeved that it wasn't released over here on DVD.

There are a few series there that I was already kind of steering toward, a few that i'd forgotten existed and a few that i'd never even contemplated, so thanks for the suggestions. :)

hopeful_monster said:
Amen, brother (or sister). Know the feeling all too well. There was even a term for it 'Gainax ending'(an ending which has an entirely different mood to the rest of the series).
Looking round my collection, Dia Guard, Macross (saga and plus), Last Exile, Generator Gawl, Heat Guy J, Rahxephon, Infinite Ryvius, Armatige 3, El Hazard, Scrapped Princess and Zero Louise to name a few.

Here here! Try Zero no Tsukaima (monster called it Zero Louise). I just finished it the other day and all I can say was that it was wonderfully uplifting and really quite funny.

I'm just so happy that they've announced a second series ^^.

Paul said:

On a more serious note, the best feel good anime I've come across has been Fruits Basket. Very sentimental, funny and touching without the typical corniness associated with much of the shoujo genre.

Grave Of The Fireflies had a SAD ENDING told from the beginning.

Just to take this slightly off topic again. ( sorry :oops: )

Daft question #173

What's the difference between Ah! My goddess and Oh! My goddess?

Tasker said:
What's the difference between Ah! My goddess and Oh! My goddess?

"Ah" or "Oh"?

The original Japanese title is "Aa! Megami-sama!". The problem of how to translate this phrase has led to a great deal of debate and flamewars amongst English-speaking anime fans during the early 1990s. The US-anime import company AnimEigo obtained the OVA rights and entitled them: "Oh My Goddess!". Those who objected felt that the title should be "Ah! My Goddess". References to "Oh my god" and "Oh my goddess" in a number of songs (such as Hottokenai No Sa, Megami-sama tto Oyoubi) only fueled further debate.

Series creator Fujishima was ultimately consulted. His initial reaction was to agree with the "Ah" camp. After the English phrase "Oh my God" was explained to him, he decided that "Oh" would be closer to what he was trying to convey. Yet, when a Japanese fan later pointed out to Fujishima that the Japanese merchandise uses "Ah", Fujishima said that it would be better to keep things consistent.

Oh My Goddess! is the official English title for the manga, which is published by Dark Horse Comics; AnimeEigo later also used Oh My Goddess!. The bilingual release, which was released by Kodansha, uses Ah! My Goddess. Pioneer chose to use Ah! My Goddess in their North American release of the movie; this was possibly due not to any aesthetic considerations, but rather because AnimEigo uses the title Oh My Goddess!.

The 2005 TV series and DVD releases carry the title "Ah! My Goddess".

Taken from wikipedia.... hope it answers your question.... :D http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ah_My_Goddess

Back