Any English Made Anime?

Patrick

Completely Average High School Student
Well, err, pretty much what it says in the subject.

Is there any anime created by a UK company?

Patrick said:
Well, err, pretty much what it says in the subject.

Is there any anime created by a UK company?

Well technically it wouldn't be anime, that title belongs specifically to Japanese animation. Anything like that made here would just be called a cartoon I suppose. And yeah there have been such as "Aaagh! It's the Mr. Hell Show".

Yea Avatar, Like the Alita Series [That Toonami Show], Was a cross French, US, Canadian Crossover Type Series. It Took inspiration from the drawing styles of anime, very much like Teen titans are doin too

thekendyman said:
Yea Avatar, Like the Alita Series [That Toonami Show], Was a cross French, US, Canadian Crossover Type Series. It Took inspiration from the drawing styles of anime, very much like Teen titans are doin too

Just wondering by the "Alita" series do you mean Code Lyoko,the cartoon with the most extremely annoying and grating opening song EVER.

Outlawstar said:
thekendyman said:

Just wondering by the "Alita" series do you mean Code Lyoko,the cartoon with the most extremely annoying and grating opening song EVER.

correct couldn't remember the name, song was crap but show was half decent

thekendyman said:
It Took inspiration from the drawing styles of anime, very much like Teen titans are doin too
I love how they try to pretend it's anime by making a Japanese version of the OP song. >_<

Apparently Madhouse were going to make an anime based on UK web-comic Natural Born Kitten, but I have no idea if it ever came to anything.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/press-r ... rn-kittens

This site even covered it at the time:
http://www.animeuknews.net/article/22/i ... ns-creator

For American-made anime thingys, I found this:
http://www.up1.co.uk/Details/W0045

It took me a whileto find it, but there is a UK anime studio. They've been around for a year or so, but have yet to have many completed projects. Might be worth keeping an eye on them though:
http://www.chase-london.com/index.html

Oban-Star Racers (Is that the name? I can't remember) Was French/Japan produced wasn't it..?
Does that even count? XD;

Everyone knows or should know this, Anime means Animation in Japanese, but in our terms it means a animation originating from Japan, so therefore you can't get a anime series made in the uk; But however you can get Anime-Influenced shows such as Teen Titans and Avatar.

Jayme said:
Everyone knows or should know this, Anime means Animation in Japanese, but in our terms it means a animation originating from Japan, so therefore you can't get a anime series made in the uk; But however you can get Anime-Influenced shows such as Teen Titans and Avatar.
I meant 'anime styled animation' and assumed everyone would get my meaning without me having to spell it out.

I'm not even sure why, but I'm interested in whether the influence of anime has had an impact in this country.

Anime is too varied to tell whether something has really been influenced by it or not… Things like Teen Titans and Totally Spies are based on around what some people think that anime is, but inescapably American in spirit, in their story structures and character stereotypes.

I could however point you towards to some 'mature', adult-aimed animation which originated in the UK (to varying degrees):
Watership Down
The Thief and the Cobbler
The Secret Adventures of Tom Thumb (released here by Manga!)
Y Mabinogi

Though all of those have been quite forcibly and wrongly aimed at children, just because it's only possible way to make a feature animation here. But in terms of short films, the UK is really something - there's Phil Mulloy's Possession, Suzie Templeton's Peter & the Wolf, Philip Hunt's Ah Pook Is Here, Marc Craste's Pica series, the Brothers Quay and Aardman and many more… We may suck when it comes to cel animation (that's the forte of the Japanese and Canadian) but British, like Czech and Russian stop-motion is famed throughout the world.

I think there is a lot of misenterpretation about the term "anime". It's a loanword that means animation, nothing more. It really doesn't refer to something specifically Japanese. So the Japanese use it to refer to all animation, native or otherwise. You could very well use anime when talking about Wallace and Gromit.

Back