Any English Made Anime?

kitsuchan said:
I think there is a lot of misenterpretation about the term "anime". It's a loanword that means animation, nothing more. It really doesn't refer to something specifically Japanese. So the Japanese use it to refer to all animation, native or otherwise. You could very well use anime when talking about Wallace and Gromit.

Good point,and correct :wink: :wink:

kitsuchan said:
I think there is a lot of misenterpretation about the term "anime". It's a loanword that means animation, nothing more. It really doesn't refer to something specifically Japanese. So the Japanese use it to refer to all animation, native or otherwise. You could very well use anime when talking about Wallace and Gromit.

One problem. We're not Japanese and we speak English, and our dictionary defines it specifically as animation from Japan. The meaning of the word in Japan is completely irrelevant.

I must admit I love correcting this misconception, along with the classic "unlicensed fan subs aren't illegal" line of thinking :)

Yes, but… The dictionary also defines anime as "Japanese movie and television animation, often having a science fiction theme and sometimes including violent or explicitly sexual material". As far as I know, Sazae-san, Minna no Uta and Tonari no Totoro don't have much in the way of "science fiction themes" or "violent or explicitly sexual material". :?

The definition for manga is worse:
A Japanese genre of cartoons, comic books, and animated films, typically having a science-fiction or fantasy theme and sometimes including violent or sexually explicit material.
When it defines manga as a genre, rather than simply as the Japanese word for sequential art, and includes animation in this, how can you have faith in what the dictionary tells you when it comes to relatively new and not fully integrated foreign loan-words such as this?

I acknowledge that when I say "anime", people will presume that I'm referring to Japanese animation. An in the large majority of cases, I am. But I also acknowledge that this is not universal, and for speakers of Japanese, French and probably several other languages, the "animé" abbreviation is not tied so much to the produce of just one country. And so, when I speak to people to people of other languages/cultures (which often happens in the global village we now live in) I keep it in mind that, to be safe of avoiding misinterpretation, I might need to be more specific. ;)

A by the way, I did remember one short film which might count as an "English anime", if ever there was one - Kamiya's Correspondence, which won the anime category of IMAF one or two years ago. It was made by a Japanese person, in the Japanese language, set in Japan, and looks very Japanese, but happens to have been made in Britain - thus making it eligible for the British Animation Awards.

Of course anime is not a global reference to Japanese animation, it's not as though every country speaks the same language. However, in countries where the primary language is English i.e. UK, US and Australia - "anime" is defined as Japanese cartoons. I also think it's being needlessly pretentious to deny that "sometimes" anime includes violence or eroticism.

To this end, I don't think it's possible to create anime in England because that seems to suggest that anime is a style to be aped when in fact, it's a rich medium of animation that takes on multiple styles, the only true way of classing it is to say that it's from Japan.

All this explains why the release schedule of Anime UK News only lists anime and not Teen Titans or Samurai Jack. If you apply such loose definitions to the word, it can be used to describe anything.

Paul said:
All this explains why the release schedule of Anime UK News only lists anime and not Teen Titans or Samurai Jack. If you apply such loose definitions to the word, it can be used to describe anything.

ah and there was me thinking it was cause TT hasn't had a UK release yet ^^

Sakimori said:
Patrick said:
Well, err, pretty much what it says in the subject.

Is there any anime created by a UK company?

Well technically it wouldn't be anime, that title belongs specifically to Japanese animation. Anything like that made here would just be called a cartoon I suppose. And yeah there have been such as "Aaagh! It's the Mr. Hell Show".

I still disagree with that definition myself. Anime is a style rather than a place, but each to their own.

Warmaster said:
Sakimori said:
Patrick said:
Well, err, pretty much what it says in the subject.

Is there any anime created by a UK company?

Well technically it wouldn't be anime, that title belongs specifically to Japanese animation. Anything like that made here would just be called a cartoon I suppose. And yeah there have been such as "Aaagh! It's the Mr. Hell Show".

I still disagree with that definition myself. Anime is a style rather than a place, but each to their own.

Please describe this style.

Back