AnimeCentral; a new anime TV channel coming to the UK?

Mohawk52 said:
shh227 said:
I knew it was going to be somewhere there

If the 199 thing is true then that's a great number.

Animecentral certainly sounds good enough hopefully with the upcoming Animax station this could lead to some growth in the industry.

I hope it can competes with anime network head to head!
All they have to do is switch on the subs for the signs and open and closing song lyrics and they're the winners over AN already. :wink:

PERSONALLY. I like it without Sign Subs and Lyrics. It gives it more of a touch of class than it looking like a DVD has been stuck in and being aired.

Chrono Demon said:
If they gunning for once a week, then whats the rest of the week, repeats. And if not, then some Anime will end pretty quickly, and then get repeated (I don't mind one or two. But if loads, and thats annoying).

Current signs point to them airing one new episode every day, not one episode per week, repeated a total of 21 times per week (3 times a day, 7 times a week)

The reason they currently aren't doing this, is it is currently a test broadcast, making sure that they have no problems prior to launch. It is also mandatory of new channels to have several days testing to get on the Sky EPG.

Arghhh why does it have to not work for me lol
Now i've lost Scuzz too.

Tried switching it off via the mains, taking the card out etc.
Grr gunna have to ring sky and pay a £1.50 a minute on their bloody helpline

Jayme said:
PERSONALLY. I like it without Sign Subs and Lyrics. It gives it more of a touch of class than it looking like a DVD has been stuck in and being aired.
Well that's fine for you then. But business wise it gives it a touch of consideration by giving more info to the casual viewer who isn't so elitist at all thereby keeping him, or her attentive enough to want to come back for more and maybe invite a friend into seeing them as well. :wink:

Mohawk52 said:
Jayme said:
Well that's fine for you then. But business wise it gives it a touch of consideration by giving more info to the casual viewer who isn't so elitist at all thereby keeping him, or her attentive enough to want to come back for more and maybe invite a friend into seeing them as well. :wink:

I was saying my opinion, In that it would be more successful because it wouldn't have a awful DVD typeface floating somewhere around the screen. If it really needed to get translated it would have been translated. An example being, in Bleach, The text comes up without translations but Rukia says what is on the screen therefore A horrible looking piece of text placed somewhere on the screen is un-needed. And on the other side of the coin. Where text needs to be translated as in FullMetal Alchemist's episode titles where they are in English.

Overall, Personally I like the way its being broadcast during the test runs.

Ryo Chan said:
Conan-san said:
J_C_X said:

Animecentral certainly sounds good enough hopefully with the upcoming Animax station this could lead to some growth in the industry.
I'd wish people would stop acting as if Sony would ever do us anything that even halfway constiutes a favor.

and i wish people weren't always so negative, but we can't always get what we want :wink:
At this point, I've resigned to my fate of being dicked aorund by sony, smell the coffie people, we ain't geting animax.

Conan-san said:
Ryo Chan said:
Conan-san said:
J_C_X said:

I'd wish people would stop acting as if Sony would ever do us anything that even halfway constiutes a favor.

and i wish people weren't always so negative, but we can't always get what we want :wink:
At this point, I've resigned to my fate of being dicked aorund by sony, smell the coffie people, we ain't geting animax.

we've hardly been given false info by sony

all they've said is they plan to launch animax in the UK, they gave no timescale of when it will take place, it's just people assuming it will be soon. Even the Funimation channel is still launching in parts of america and it was announced over a year ago

Conan-san said:
Ryo Chan said:
Conan-san said:
J_C_X said:

What are you talking about? What you're saying makes no sense. Sony aren't going to do us any "favours", they're going to bring their channel over here to make money. It is a fact that they're planning on doing it as well for many reasons, such as the fact they're in "advanced discussion" about lots of European countries, and that they're bringing it to most countries around the world at a steady pace. It looks to me like you just hate Sony in every possible way and have no idea about how money works. If every company did us a "favour", they'd all be broke.

You have to remember, starting "animax" in Europe is one thing, bringing it to the UK is another. We tend to have seperate licences for TV rights, and just because they have the TV licence for Europe, doesn't mean they have the TV licence for UK.

Sure, I doubt the distributors are going to stand in their way much, but it is more paperwork that needs doing.

Just had an email from Mark Buchanan:

199 is the magic number... channel number that is!

From September 13th, the Anime Central will be going out on SKY Channel 199 with the following schedule.

21:00 Vision of Escaflowne
21:30 Bleach
22:00 Fullmetal Alchemist
22:30 Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
23:00 Planetes
23:30 Transformers Headmasters
00:00 Vision of Escaflowne
00:30 Bleach
01:00 Fullmetal Alchemist
01:30 Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
02:00 Planetes
02:30 Transformers Headmasters
03:00 Vision of Escaflowne
03:30 Bleach
04:00 Fullmetal Alchemist
04:30 Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
05:00 Planetes
05:30 Transformers Headmasters
06:00 End

www.animecentral.com

So thats confirmation of the channel number from the horses mouth as well, so to speak :)

Rukia sounds older than I expected. Not complaining or anything...just not what I imagined!

...and by the way, was there talk about a Gundam series being on this channel, or did I totally imagine it? o_O

Aaron said:
Rukia sounds older than I expected. Not complaining or anything...just not what I imagined!

...and by the way, was there talk about a Gundam series being on this channel, or did I totally imagine it? o_O
Yes, there are a few series that were announced but are not on that list there. Gundam SEED is one of two that come to mind immediately, the other being S-Cry-Ed. I am sure these will appear further down the line after the run of the initial series line-up has completed.

Anyway, good, we have an EPG number, a date and Headmasters has been shifted to the back of the pack (I feel sorry for Planetes but releaved for Esca. given that it's the second airing of that show over here, I see big things in that show's future.)

Conan-san said:
... I feel sorry for Planetes ...

So do I, but 11 isn't too bad, at least it's not stupid oclock in the morning like Sci-Fi used to do.

Apart from Transformers ( which just sucks fetid, leperous donkey balls ), I think its quite a strong line up, bits of everything and all of them excellent examples of their genre.

I remember when sci-fi used to put stuff like Eva and Excel Saga on at 4 in the morning, though i'm sure that when the channel first started out they shown Robotech after school had finished, and shown anime movies at 10 p.m.

Do you think there may be plans down the pipeline for them to show anime movies? or will it be a solely series channel

BlackWolf said:
I remember when sci-fi used to put stuff like Eva and Excel Saga on at 4 in the morning, though i'm sure that when the channel first started out they shown Robotech after school had finished, and shown anime movies at 10 p.m.

Do you think there may be plans down the pipeline for them to show anime movies? or will it be a solely series channel
There was talk of possibly showing movies although the main plan is for full two-season (26 episode) length or longer series.

For those wondering the reason for the 26 episode thing is mostly due to cost. From what was said, the series creators consider a 13 episode series to be worth the same price as a 26 episode series since the same amount of money was typically spent making it or something along those lines. That, as you can imagine, is not particularly cost-effective. I suspect films would fall somewhere into a similar bracket although possibly not to the same extent (ie would probably cost more than an equivalent length of content but would not cost a whole series for the right to air it.) Besides the economic problem, there is also the issue of scheduling it. A single movie would take up the schedule for upwards of 3 episodes of anime and could vary in length from movie to movie.

Back