Anime UK News Summer 2014 Anime Preview Guide

Rui

Karamatsu Boy
Administrator
The summer anime season isn't far off now and genkinahito has prepared the usual summary of what will be on offer.

The Anime UK News Summer 2014 Anime Preview Guide guide is split into part one and part two due to its length. Which shows will you be checking out?

I want to check out:

Akame ga Kill: Manga is surprisingly dark and gripping with a great cast and very violent action. Can't wait to see how they handle it.

Space Dandy Season 2: The series totally hit its stride and became one of my favourites of the year so far. Can't wait to see what crazy stuff Bones has in store next.

Aldnoah.Zero: Just for the staff involved alone.

Terror of Resonance:It's Shinichiro Watanabe. And Yoko Kanno. Nuff said.

Shirogane no Ishi Argevollen: This is a maybe. Tatsuo Sato is involved so I'll give it a look.

Barakamon: Looks like it could be quite refreshing. Hoping for a Silver Spoon style vibe.

Rail Wars: One read of the concept and I was sold.

Tokyo Ghoul: Nice to have something a bit grimmer on the schedule.

Terror of Resonance - Music by Yoko Kanno.
Sailor Moon Crystal - It's Sailor Moon!! I've been waiting 2 years for this.
Space Dandy Season 2 - Enjoyed the first season.
Sword Art Online 2 - Want to see if they fix the pacing issues.
Aldnoah.Zero - Futuristic "War of the Worlds", hope they show My Cruise how it's done.
Love Stage - A love story with manga, SOLD!

And maybe more...

It's a good season for me.

So many this season, I've gone through two seasons of dry spells to being interested in half of what's airing..

Other than the "big shows" that are already picking up steam and hype that we'll all be checking out, I'm really interested in the following:

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Glasslip
Ao Haru Ride
Barakamon

Thanks for the guides.

Based on your guides -

Likely to watch:
- Akame ga Kill
- Aldnoah.Zero
- Ao Haru Ride
- Tokyo Ghoul

Will be watching:
- Free
- Psycho Pass
- Re Hamatora
- Sailor Moon Crystal
- Sword Art Online 2 (Depending on finishing the first series)
- Terror of Resonance

Now to wait on ANN and RandomC for their guides.

OK, of course it was a good read:

"Atsuko Ishizuka (No Game, No Life, Monster, Mouryuo no Hako – seriously, read Summer of Ubume and watch this) is directing"

Because Genkinahito is just straight up ballin'.

For me its:

Tokyo Ghoul (looking forward to this dark show)
Sword Art Online II (i dont hold high hopes)
Akame ga Kill! (i have been hearing good thigns about this one so and the teaser was good enough to make me want to watch it)
Sengoku Basara: Judge End (just because i've seen the rest and it was fun)
Zankyou no Terror (oh boy this should be awesome)

Will Watch:
Persona 4 Golden the Animation
Free! –Eternal Summer-
Space Dandy Season 2
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal
Black Butler: Book of Circus - Hoping this isn't a disaster like season 2...
Terror of Resonance
Tokyo Ghoul - Looks pretty promising
Aldnoah.Zero - Will give it a go as it's by Gen Urobuchi

Will Try:
Akame ga Kill! - I don't like the character designs, but will be checking it out as it's apparently very violent.
Sword Art Online 2 - Will give it a chance, despite the first season being average.

Will watch: Free!, SAO II, Sailor Moon, Terror of Resonance.

Will try: Black Butler - depends if anyone is able to stream it in the UK. Hoping Animax will do so now that they are working with Funimation. Also will try Knights of Sidonia which will be on Netflix this season.

Looks a fairly decent season.

Persona 4 Golden the Animation
Space Dandy Season 2
Aldnoah.Zero
Sword Art Online 2
Terror of Resonance (Zankyou no Terror)
Hanamonogatari
Tokyo Ghoul

Are the ones that jump out at me but there's a few others I sort of fancy checking out.

Looks like it's going to be quite a big season, need to catch up on the backlog of Spring shows sometime soon. ^^;

Will be watching:

Jinsei - I'm a journalist, so more than anything the idea of the lead character writing for the school newspaper caught my attention fairly quickly.
Free! season 2 - Might wait until this is finished and then go through season 1 and 2 at the same time, but we'll see.
Space Dandy Season 2 - Again, depends on me getting through the second half of season 2, but it is BONES so I'll likely put the effort in to catch up before this starts again.
Black Butler: Book of Circus - Finally following the manga again. I really did enjoy this arc in the manga, so keen to see the anime live up to that.
Aldnoah.Zero - Worth it just to see what Gen is up to this time.
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun - Could be fun, will watch this if it's picked up by Crunchy, might skip otherwise.
Glasslip - Nagi worked out brilliantly for P.A Works and I adored it, so definitely keen to keep an eye on all their original projects now. If nothing else the music will be impressive
Sword Art Online 2
Terror of Resonance - Certainly can't pass up anything Shinichiro has a hand in...
Ao Haru Ride (Blue Spring Ride) - Yep... if it's a romance focused series I can't pass on it unless it's awful.

A couple of other things interested me, but it depends who gets what now really. If Crunchy gets a good deal of the more interesting titles then I'm likely to dip into a lot more than the above, but we shall see

Definitely:
Aldnoah.Zero (Gen Urobuchi!)
Persona 4 The Golden Animation*
Psycho-Pass (might be a good time to finally check it out).
Space Dandy season 2
Sword Art Online II*

Will Try Out:
Blue Spring Ride
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun - sounds like it could be fun.
Glasslip
Invaders of the Rokujyouma!? - Sounds like it could either be brilliant, or a total failure.
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal
Terror of Resonance - Shinichiro Watanabe. Done.

*A website I write for will probably ask me to.

Akame ga Kill looks & sounds interesting

Space Dandy Season 2 mostly enjoyed the first season so will be giving it look

Tokyo Ghoul sounds another interesting show and very dark

Terror of Resonance worth a look from who is behind it

I've finally found the time to look through the guide.

Definites
Akame ga Kill - The manga sounds interesting and has been licensed by Yen Press, so I'll give this a go.
Aldnoah.Zero - Just look at those staff names.
Ao Haru Ride (Blue Spring Ride) - Sounds fairly interesting.
Baby Steps - The only anime I'm currently watching which will continue into the next season.
Free!: Eternal Summer - I watched the first season so I may as well watch the second.
Hanamonogatari - In August. This is my most anticipated anime right now.
Tokyo Ghoul - Just for something different.
Yami Shibai 2 - Again, I've watched the first season so I'll watch the second.
Zankyou no Terror (Terror of Resonance) - Watanabe.

Maybe
Glasslip
Hanayamata
Jinsei
Magimoji Rurumo

I'm going to have problems because there are too many good shows on the horizon.

Obviously going to watch:

Bakumatsu Rock
Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon Crystal
Black Butler: Book of Circus
Free! -Eternal Summer-
Love Stage
Sengoku Basara Judge End

Also really want to watch but in a less overexcited way:

Dramatical Murder
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Hanamonogatari
Nobunaga Concerto
Strange+ 2
Yamishibai 2
Zankyou No Terror

Will probably watch too but it will depend on time and the first episodes:

Aldnoah Zero
Ao Haru Ride
Barakamon
Glasslip
Shounen Hollywood
Space Dandy season 2
Sword Art Online II

Maybe:

Francesca: Girls Be Ambitious
Jinsei
Rail Wars
Tokyo ESP
Tokyo Ghoul

R

Not an awful lot here that is getting me hot under the collar.

Definitely will check out :

Ao Haru Ride (I like to think of myself as the "romantic anime connoisseur")
Glasslip (If this show turns out to be super addictive and I will nickname it "glassdick")
Terror of Resonance ( I'm skeptical about how much I'll like this but I I'll give the man who made two of my fav shows some time)

Shu' ins
Sword Art Online 2
Fairy Dance was the very worst this franchise has to offer and now it's out of the way we can get to the good stuff like Metal Gear Online: the animation, which is what this is. Also has the bonus game of "watch the internet try to convince itself that this is the worst anime ever" so there's that. Nothing more funny than the internet being stupid about something.

Space Dandy 2
It's more Space Dandy. I could only want it harder if it shot shurikens and lightning, "had tits and was on fire".

Sailor Moon Crystal
Please Don't Suck Please Don't Suck Please Don't Suck Please Don't Suck Please Don't Suck Please Don't Suck Please Don't Suck Please Don't Suck
Please Don't Suck Please Don't Suck Please Don't Suck Please Don't Suck Please Don't Suck Please Don't Suck Please Don't Suck Please Don't Suck

Fate/Kaleid 2
A surprisingly well put together show from a few seasons back (Silver Link is Shaft with it's toys taken away after all) so I'm in.

Aldnoah.Zero
Gen the Butcher's idea of a real Robot Show. Yeah, Let's do this.

Backup Plan Tier
Persona 4 Golden: The Animation
Say what you will about the whys and hows of this one. It's more of my favourite SMT game being animated and, besides it going completely off the rails, I know what to expect of it. Which is a lot more than I can say for the likes of Sailor Moon right now.

Terror of Resonance
I really don't know about this. Apparently there's a Stand like element to the series but in the end this could end up like a not funny, not poignant Black Lions and that would be terrible (and the first legitimate black mark on Watanabe which he needs like a hole in the head).

Francesca
Urgh, I really wish Japan would take the hint and let flash animation just animate properly (it's not like they haven't seen that, apparently MLP is doing Bushiroad some sort of bank) cause this looks like a good idea for a show (Zombies fight Zombies, hilarity ensues) that's gonna be kneecapped by an animation budget that's barely on the 4's.

FOAD Tier
Free 2: Trash Harder
It's bad enough stupid bulls't like this taps out KyoAni (who themselves are a tired horse long since destined for the glue factory) and I wouldn't mind if it did anything to improve this sort of nonsense but it doesn't. Replacing girls eating cake with guys doing similar does bugger and all and, whilst I will do Amazing Spiderman numbers, I sort of wish it the luck of ASM2.

Momo Kyun Sword
"modern sensibilities" is about right. Sigh.

Back