Anime UK News mascot character - can you draw one?

Well, so far I have to say I love WTFDaveMustaine's last two :) Especially since they are: humorous and combine the UK theme with Japanese culture.

I like Cheeky's too, since they are just a straight forward chibi style mascots that look quite professional and authentic.

Well, I'm showing you all my draft of my entry (probably do more). I'll clean it up in Photoshop if you guys/gals think it's a good idea.
auknmascotattempt2ua0.jpg

Not got a name for her, but I did a chibi one for banners and a larger one for any backgrounds/watermarks or side images.
Don't mind if someone can draw her better, if she gets chosen.

Paul said:
Well, so far I have to say I love WTFDaveMustaine's last two :) Especially since they are: humorous and combine the UK theme with Japanese culture.

I like Cheeky's too, since they are just a straight forward chibi style mascots that look quite professional and authentic.

I'd have to say mine aren't very imaginative so far, they're just normal chibis, that's why I really like Sy's Arthur-chan - it's so original!

Hmm, i think i have an idea on what to do, though i am curious does it have to be coloured? Its probably my only problem, i can deal with shading etc but colouring i'm no good at.

Arbalest said:
Hmm, i think i have an idea on what to do, though i am curious does it have to be coloured? Its probably my only problem, i can deal with shading etc but colouring i'm no good at.

Yes, it has to be colored. Mainly, I'm going to use the mascot to give a touch of color to pages where there is not enough.

WTFDave's gets my vote, its colourful, from the looks of his various drawing he can recreate it easily and thats what will work well with the mascot across the different pages. That and some of the designs are rather funny and eye-catching.

I think cheeky has some great ideas im realy liking the chibi style thats been shown. Cheekys style and WTFDaveMustaines ideas would be great.

Seeing as this had to be coloured and colouring at least for noe is not my strong point,the colour might look a little flat compared to some of the photoshop masterpieces around.
But hey thats half the fun in drawing.
Having goals to aspire to.=)

And I would like to hear what you think I should do to tweak/improve her as I am planning on posting another one also.
Thanks.
Later

@hopeful_monster: I'm not sure about the bottom right section - it's kind of a nasty sludge green. Also, maybe the images on the shield could be more anime related? Right now it looks like a straight up Medieval shield -- needs more chibi faces :)

I like it Outlawstar. It's well refined and combines the UK theme with the Japanese obsession quite well :)

Cheeky - your second attempt at the chibi is awesome - I like the size, the coloring and the range of expressions...

ARGH! There is too much quality, damn you guys and your talents. I'm starting to think I should organize some kind of monthly competition in order to give everyone a chance to show off more of their work. I'm annoyed that I can only pick one of these for a mascot.

Paul said:
@hopeful_monster: I'm not sure about the bottom right section - it's kind of a nasty sludge green. Also, maybe the images on the shield could be more anime related? Right now it looks like a straight up Medieval shield -- needs more chibi faces :)

I like it Outlawstar. It's well refined and combines the UK theme with the Japanese obsession quite well :)

Cheeky - your second attempt at the chibi is awesome - I like the size, the coloring and the range of expressions...

ARGH! There is too much quality, damn you guys and your talents. I'm starting to think I should organize some kind of monthly competition in order to give everyone a chance to show off more of their work. I'm annoyed that I can only pick one of these for a mascot.

Thanks.
And some sort of monthly competition sounds like a great idea.
I would definitly enter every month.

Later.

Haha, right about that one. Still, too much quality is better than none!

I really like Outlawstar's Minako, it's colourful and puts across the UK/JPN theme really well - I know I'm a guy but the pink suits her well, and there's a good variation of colours. And the wooden clogs didn't go unnoticed =)

Cheeky said:
Haha, right about that one. Still, too much quality is better than none!

I really like Outlawstar's Minako, it's colourful and puts across the UK/JPN theme really well - I know I'm a guy but the pink suits her well, and there's a good variation of colours. And the wooden clogs didn't go unnoticed =)

Thanks for the compliments^^
I really like your chibis too.
They look like the real deal.
As for the clogs.Was hoping they wouldint go unnoticed.
Looked um up on the net for reference.
And Minako means bright person so I didint just sling a name on her either.
Later.

Paul said:
Thanks for the colour tip, couldn't tell. As for the images they where supposed to represent England (lion), Scotland (Unicorn ), NI (elk/hart) and Wales (Dragon ). Could try chibi'ing them up some more but thought I'd already done that.

Back