Anime recommendations?

deathlifereborn

Completely Average High School Student
I was wondering if anyone could recommend me some?

I like Ghibli films (seen most of them), Chobits, Chrno Crusade, Bleach, Love Hina, .Hack, Hellsing, Gungrave etc

And was curious to know of any good ones :) thanks in advance

The girl who leapt through time and summer wars occured to me right now. Any Satoshi Kon is a good choice as well.

And my favourite is the 12 kingdoms, buttheen again, I'm a fantasy nuts.

If you like Miyazaki's Ghibli work, check out Castle of Cagliostro (if you haven't already seen it). It is a Lupin film, but you don't need any prior knowledge of the series to enjoy it. It's just a fun crime adventure with plenty of action and beautiful design work.

Otherwise, based on what you're listing there, Durarara would probably be a good shout. It's a quirky but sophisticated comic-drama, with both sci-fi and horror elements running through it. I think you'd be hard pushed to find many people who don't like it.

Equally, going beyond films, there is the Future Boy Conan series - Miyazaki was the overall director of the series. Got a sense of humour like Lupin, and for 1978, it looks amazing. A little bit bloated at times (perhaps 8 episodes too long in all) but the first few, and the last few episodes are some of the best he has ever worked on.

Of course you may have to use 'discrete' means to get the series - it is not available in English.

Going beyond Ghibli and Miyazaki. Satoshi Kon as mentioned, also some of Yoshitisho ABe's work (Serial Experiments Lain, Haibane Renmei) On the comedy side, Excel Saga (the art style is rather like Chrono crusade) Read or Die (OVA and series) and a mountain of other stuff! (suggest genre's might be helpful)

If you like Gungrave try Trigun, same creator. Also may I recommend anything by Satoshi Kon if you enjoy films that blur the edge of reality. Also Ouran's a good series =D

Anime i would recommend no matter what you like:

Higurashi no naku koro ni
Umineko no naku koro ni
CLANNAD
ef a tale of memories
Durarara
Air (tv)
Kanon (2006)
The melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.
Iv yuo leiked bleech go wach Naruto or One pees. durp.

Kirrimir said:
Anime i would recommend no matter what you like:

Higurashi no naku koro ni
Umineko no naku koro ni
CLANNAD
ef a tale of memories
Durarara
Air (tv)
Kanon (2006)
The melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.
Iv yuo leiked bleech go wach Naruto or One pees. durp.
disagree with some of that.
Higurashi: requires you to have seen shows like Kanon, AIR or CLANNAD as it's a deconstruction of them. Watch at least one of those three, if you like it watch the other two. (NB: CLANNAD has a bad start ~3-5 eps)
Umineko.. hahahahahaha. go play the VN: the anime adaptation is far weaker than Higurashi's was. I like to make sure all the little details are there in a murder mystery. Especialy as we don't yet know which matter as it's still serialising.

Haruhi: watch it at least once but make sure that's in the order it aired in, not how it's aranged on the DVDs.

personal addition: anything directed by Akiyuki Shinbou(MoonPhase, PaniPoni Dash, Negima!?), yey for bonkers camera angles, visual gags, and using any free writing space to fit gags.
Full Metal Panic & Fumoffu: notes the two love comedy series listed.

Reaper gI said:
disagree with some of that.
Higurashi: requires you to have seen shows like Kanon, AIR or CLANNAD as it's a deconstruction of them. Watch at least one of those three, if you like it watch the other two. (NB: CLANNAD has a bad start ~3-5 eps)
Umineko.. hahahahahaha. go play the VN: the anime adaptation is far weaker than Higurashi's was. I like to make sure all the little details are there in a murder mystery. Especialy as we don't yet know which matter as it's still serialising.

Haruhi: watch it at least once but make sure that's in the order it aired in, not how it's aranged on the DVDs.

personal addition: anything directed by Akiyuki Shinbou(MoonPhase, PaniPoni Dash, Negima!?), yey for bonkers camera angles, visual gags, and using any free writing space to fit gags.
Full Metal Panic & Fumoffu: notes the two love comedy series listed.

Have you even seen Higurashi? It's nothing like the others... Umineko VN is good but the anime is very good aswell.

Higurashi, is suposed to be a deconstruction of one of Key's games (AIR or CLANNAD as it's in multiple acts). The plot structure is intentionaly identical. You have to know normal bishoujo/moe tropes for it, otherwise it doesn't catch you out so badly. I didn't say don't watch it but seeing what it parodies first is a good thing.

Half of Umineko's fandom (which isn't exactly small) don't believe the anime happened. The production quality is awful (errors all over the place), and it skipped too much.
Also if you want a conclusion it's going to be at least another year to be able to make season 2.

Actually i'm with Krr, i would say you don't need to watch the others, i didn't and i love higurashi to pieces, i wouldn't touch the other shows with a 10 ft barge pole. All you need to know is cute things kill people. The arc structure is pretty much any VN really isn't it.

BlackWolf said:
Actually i'm with Krr, i would say you don't need to watch the others, i didn't and i love higurashi to pieces, i wouldn't touch the other shows with a 10 ft barge pole. All you need to know is cute things kill people. The arc structure is pretty much any VN really isn't it.
Nope that structure (and I mean that of a single arc) is Key's signature essentialy. They're not strictly VNs either: writen in a bubble, like a script rather than over the entire screen and in prose. Neither is Higurashi (lacks event CG), but it's far closer than Key's stuff is.

Each girl having a route is standard, but how it uses the comedy elements and develops the plot is copying Key.
light hearted into-> develop character + atachment-> tragedy
replaced with:
light hearted into-> develop character + atachment-> horror
Very similar time alocation. Also everyone having a vocal tick is prety much a refernce to Kanon.

Hmm we could be going around in circles with this, so i'll put it this way, you don't have to have seen the others to make Higurashi enjoyable, same way you don't have to watch most prequel films (also true for games and books) to enjoy the original material. So we'll you may get an extra kick out of it if you seen the key junk (this is my opinion, feel free to disagree with it) but not seeing it first won't damage your first viewing of Higurashi. If anything its a reason for a re-watch further down the line and that's not a bad thing.

thanks for the replies :) i'll have to look into these.

i've seen castle of calistro its really good hehe. Got most of Read or Die (looks like i forgot to put it in my original post d'oh sorry bout that) seen most of Excel saga too pretty good.

genres umm comedy, action, horror (oddness/weirdness is good too) oops and of course fantasy :lol:

I'm with Chaos on the recommendations, but if u fancy some stuff that's fairly Ghibli-esque and/or summery (I'm assuming you've seen all the films), try the four "seasons" animes (Clannad, Air, ONE and Kanon) or SOMEDAYS DREAMERS? They are my favourites!

d.jpg

air20ostiw4.jpg

22.jpg

fall2006preview.jpg

somedays_dreamers_02.jpg

Back