anime recommendations but is broken saints anime?

I was having an argument with my mate yesterday. He thinks broken saints is not anime but i think it is! Who is right? He says anime is only that if it orginates from Japan? (BS from canada) Help please, he is annoying me! :twisted:

defo anime... there is no rule saying only japanese makes it anime, its all within the genre.

Broken Saints is a unique one, you cant really put your finger on it, i'd refer to it as a animated comic book, because of its style.

MoonAngel said:
defo anime... there is no rule saying only japanese makes it anime, its all within the genre.

Broken Saints is a unique one, you cant really put your finger on it, i'd refer to it as a animated comic book, because of its style.

I'm in agreement. There is a similar disagreement with the word 'manga', but thats japanese and applying it elsewhere would be pointless. Isn't 'anime' simply short for 'animation'? Its almost solely applied to japanese animation, mainly because animations over here are simply catagorized as 'cartoons' but who says it can't be applied elsewhere?

If it where 'japanimation' I'd understand, but is it really such a big deal using the word 'anime' with non japanese animation? I'm sure many will disagree with me here, so all I'll say is that this is just my opinion.

*flashbacks to manga thread*

Wildcard said:
Isn't 'anime' simply short for 'animation'? Its almost solely applied to japanese animation, mainly because animations over here are simply catagorized as 'cartoons' but who says it can't be applied elsewhere?

In Japan, "anime" refers to all animation. Outside Japan, it only refers to Japanese animation.

I don't especially like the definition, but I had enough of that discussion last time it came up...

Regardless, Broken Saints does not currently count as an anime.

Back