Anime over the holidays

HdE

Comic Book Guy
Just posting this thread on a spur-of-the-moment whim, to be honest.

I'm looking forward to a two / three week break from work starting just before Xmas, during which I'll be working like the clappers to clear a load of comics work and art commissions. Some of it's paid work, some of it isn't... but know this: I'll be working FLAT OUT to get it all done.

I'm looking forward to kicking back with a few DVDs in the scant hours of downtime I predict I'll have, whereupon I'll be collapsing into the bum-shaped groove in my sofa to watch anime.

Yes. Anime. Anime and nothing else BUT anime. I will be watching anime until my anime watching muscles hurt from the exertion of it.

Shows I have lined up that I'm looking forward to are Ergo Proxy, Eden Of The East, Gundam OO season 2 (if the last disc arrives before the 24th!) Burst Angel, Macross II and whole load of one-off features and OVAs.

I've spoiled myself rotten with quality anime this year. So - what are the rest of you guys going to be watching over the holiday season? Are there any shows or movies you're hoping to receive as gifts this year? Will you be observing any special rituals for watching your stuff? (For me, a big bag of cheesy poofs and either lager or cola is MANDATORY at this time of year!)

Let's hear it, folks! 'Tis the season to watch anime IN ABUNDANCE!!!

I shall be watching whatever manages to come in. Dirty Pair and Bubblegum Crisis should be foreseeable, though any other things I may need to wait a while for.

For snow to befall this isle is for its arteries of transit to slow to a woeful sluggishness. But still, how pretty it is.

I am awaiting the arrival of Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu with the kind of childish energy that Santa shows towards his glass of port that I leave on the fireplace for him.

I am also hoping I will have the Gundam 00 movie before New Year.

See? He IS real - and he was among us all this time!

Is the Gundam OO movie already out to buy?!? Shock horror - I'm guessing you mean over in Japan, right?

I got a dispatch notice from Axel for the final volume of season 2. It's a lottery whether I'll get that before the new year, but I live in hope.

I hope Gantz arrives before Xmas, too. :)

ilmaestro said:
Yeah, Japanese release is Christmas Day. I guess Santa likes Gundam, too.
I just imagined the Gundam statue in Japan with a Santa hat on XD

Anyways, I personally don't really have any particular plans to buy any anime. Bought Appleseed Ex-Machina recently though, so might give that a watch, and probably at least will watch Kiki's Delivery Service on Xmas Day, and maybe another couple of Ghibli movies as well.

If I manage to get down to my folks with this weather I will need to take some dubbed stuff I have watched before as my dad has an annoying habit of standing in front of the TV talking to me when I am trying to watch things.

On top of that I will try to get around to Clannad After Story, Toward the Terra and some Aria as they have been sat in my backlog for a while. Also I am unlikely to get any new stuff in the post now so I may get the backlog finished unless I spend the time watching streamed stuff.

Seeing as this will be the first Christmas in memory that I won't be receiving anime as a gift, I'll have to delve into the backlog. Wolf's Rain strikes me as a cheery and uplifting show, making it a likely candidate for viewing over the holidays. Or maybe the similarly jolly Romeo x Juliet.

New anime-wise: I intend to plough through all of Gundam 00, Hetalia Axis Powers (27 onward) and something as of yet undecided, probably Honey and Clover or something of a comedy persausion. I'm also gonna watch the FotNS movie today in preparation for the game.

Re-watch-wise: If I get DVD/Blu-Rays in time from RightStuf (my hols end on Jan 17th) then probably Ouran or Desert Punk.

Thanks to the weather, I didn't even want to attempt ordering anything (so no Dirty Pair or Golgo :( ). I'll probably be using the time to try and finish some things I started ages ago, chiefly the original Votoms and Cobra TV series. If I somehow get through all that, I might have another go at Zeta Gundam as well.

Thank you, indeed I shall :)

This morning I managed to find the episode I left off at and got started on it again. Already there is much shooting it out with corrupt police officials and exploding of riot patrol vans. :D

Honestly, i've no real idea what i'll end up watching over the holidays. I brought back the end of planetes and Wolf's rain for watching here at home, and i'll obviously be watching season 2 of Index as it's released, but bar that, not too sure. Gintama is another which is mostly down to the fact that it is so easy to pick up at anytime for a good laugh. When i get back to the flat though, i'll have too much to cover, though i maybe able to fit it all between my dissertation preperation.

As much as I'd like to say I'll be doing something dramatic like watching Texhnolyze on repeat then crying myself into a coma, I'm travelling to my parents' so will get precious little time to watch anime.

Wolf's Rain has snow in it, so it's a Christmas movie, right? May take that back home with me to watch. Or... maybe just some Ghibli / Kon stuff.

Votoms is etched on my retinas after reading these forums for a while, may get round to checking that out as well, if I can find it.

Currently watching 2 episodes a night of Kanon (very snowy first time watch)

Rewatching an episode a night of Love Hina (don't think I'll get to the Christmas episode in time), Witchblade, School Rumble, and Kiddy Grade.

I think I'll rewatch Tokyo Godfathers on Christmas Day though.

I have Tokyo Godfathers on my pile of movies to watch over the holidays. It's sandwiched between Dead Leaves and Gundam F91. That should be an interesting marathon!

I'm looking forward to watching all of Satoshi Kon's movies in one short run at some point. The only movie of his I'd seen in its entirety prior to this is Paprika, which I loathe with a vengeance. However, snippets of Perfect Blue and Millennium Actress have convinced me that the guy was a genuine talent, so I can allow him a misfire.

It'll be a poignant occasion. He was taken from us far too soon.

I've got Ninja Clash to watch. I'm not a Naruto fan, but Shonen movies are normally pretty simple and the advert I watched for it made it look alright.

Back