Anime/OVA theme music

IoW Roy

Completely Average High School Student
Hi all.

I'm going to be doing the audio production for a brand spanking new Con here on the Isle of Wight in August (Fan TC Con - Home). Between guest speakers I intend to play relevant background music that will appeal to the cosplayers, fans and attendees of the event.

To that end, I've got the best part of 300 Trock songs (Timelord Rock), various well known sci-fi film and TV themes (Start Trek, Star Wars, etc), but also want to add something to appeal to us Anime lovers.

So far I've got my personal favourites - the themes to Akira, New Dominion Tank Police, Bubblegum Crisis, Appleseed (a couple of them from various series/OVA's), and an English version of Cells at Work opening theme.

What other anime themes/songs would you suggest? Can hardly wait to see what you guys suggest!!

Not sure if these are the kinda thing you're looking for but hey-ho.

If you can try and use some more relevant tracks from airing anime (or recent seasons) a tonne of cos players dress up as something relevant, though more dedicated fans who cosplay stick to iconic, I don't know honestly, may be you can find something iconic like evangalion's original theme, Cruel Angel Thesis

A heck ton are done by k/j-pop and j-rock bands, you might have to speak to labels before you do

A heck ton are done by k/j-pop and j-rock bands, you might have to speak to labels before you do

Thanks for everything so far.

We've sorted the whole copyright thing - PRS are on the case and if the artist hasn't got UK representation we're not going to touch their work, but worthwhile mentioning for other readers!

Strictly speaking, they've just changed to a new opening for the show, but for the sake of something current:

I assume by background music you don't really want lyrics? I see you've already mentioned Akira (which I have on CD). Another 2 soundtracks I have are Ghost in the Shell and Cowboy Bebop. From these my favourites are:
And

2 more recent one are the OP from Devilman Crybaby and the ED from Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens:
And

I assume by background music you don't really want lyrics? I see you've already mentioned Akira (which I have on CD). Another 2 soundtracks I have are Ghost in the Shell and Cowboy Bebop.

BTH, I've not got preference either way with whether they've got lyrics or not - Cells at Work is a full on "song" with very fast paced lyrics. What I 'm hoping for is that the tune will come on the PA and those cosplayers, attendees or anime fans that recognise it will have a small smile to themselves. As an added benefit, where the con will be a safe space, if a piece of music is being played in the background that is recognised and forms part of that persons fandom, I hope that it will make them feel that little bit more welcome.

Besides all that - THANK YOU so much for all your suggestions! I'm loving this!!!

Like I said before, a lot of people might like some older iconic ones, though I think crybaby's MAN HUMAN is a bit too much club atmosphere, the whole soundtrack has that vibe for me, GiTS Inner Universe or SAC 2ns gig OP might be a good choice, but I think more people remember Inner Universe

There's plenty of options if you look for the ones that might be well known. Just don't go for the old sailor moon dub theme, its it's not bad it's just an ear worm!

Just to throw in a few faves (and some predictable ones), but Otlaw Star intro and Outro. Add in Redline intro and outro and you've some of the most instantly recognisable and fail safe tunes. The last is Cowboy Bebop. If you want to get a truly nerdy demographic you can risk Sailor Moon.

A few truly nerdy would be Gunsmith Cats (add in the Riding Bean outro), Azumanga Daioh, Macross Plus (especially Sharon Apple) and Excel Saga (we'll leave Puni Puni Poemy alone for a very good reason). If I remember anymore I'll drop them in.

P.S I'll leave NGE of the list as it's been played to death compared to Cowboy Bebop which is timeless imo. Also Cells at Work is an excellent choice.

P.P.S Anything from KMFDM (who's nerdy enough to get the connection). Nihil especially. If you really want to go down the rabbit hole there are a couple of full music (vids) tracks worth playing in the background.

From KMFDM there's

And the always reliable Daft Punk

Back