Anime OST's

cercia

School Idol
How do you listen to your anime OST's? Me, I prefer to do something while I listen to them on my Walkman and leave them playing (most of the way) through. For me I rate them by the general gist, depending on mood, some OST's (like Nadesico) I can listen to repeatedly in one day!

My fave band is the Takada Band and my fave composer is Kaoru Wada.

3x3cd7.jpg

I have a few I enjoy listening to. Mainly various Evangelion, various Macross, Full Metal Panic, NHK ni Youkoso!, Paprika, Millennium Actress, Tekkon Kinkreet, Daibuster, Kaiba, Planetes, Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo get listened to.

Actually, that list ended up being longer than intended when I started typing it, but those are probably all the ones I currently have where I could easily go through the whole OST. There's a bunch of others where I like selected tracks and OP/ED's but I'm not so interested in the bulk of the OSTs content outside of the context of the show.

I prefer listening to video game OSTs since there's more emphasis on music in video games. However, I do like listening to the Welcome to the NHK, Cowboy Bebop and GitS SAC OSTs.

I'll happily listen to my GitS, Bubblegum Crisis and Patlabor soundtracks as though they were albums, as I will my Slayers Megumix compilation. Most other series' I just like the odd song from; I enjoy the odd stomp to work accompanied by JAM Project or MELL.

Then when I get there I... make telephone calls and tap away at databases. Why can't I smash up giant robots or gun-sling for a living? Why God, why?

I prefer not to listen to them. It only reminds me of extortionate shipping costs. :cry:

I'm a sucker for nice cover art. I hate the music in FMA: Brotherhood, but the OSTs have sublime covers, and I couldn't help but pursue the whole blinkin' collection. By contrast, the upcoming Pocket Monster CD set--with 88 bits of background music--has upsetting cover art, but the selection of music seems worthy of the pennies.

Although I was so furiously critical of its music initially--and I would argue that was with due justification--the second Naruto Shippuden OST has some exceptional compositions on it. It's such a staggering step-up from the first OST that if almost beggars belief; no longer are compositions tired, mundane and soullessly over-arching: here, there is nuance and arresting diversity. The Fairy Tail OST--from the same composer, no less--also possesses some splendidly riveting stuff, too, particularly if you're in the mood for some Celtic flair.

I'm personally quite fond of some Hunter x Hunter stuff, too, but its vibrancy is offset against instrumentation that is often MIDI. This is distressingly pronounced on the third soundtrack onwards, though the darker tone of these subsequent releases--chiefly the third OST and soundtrack for the first OVA--makes them feel entirely independent of the first two.

Sometimes the OSTs are only available as limited edition extras with the DVDs in Japan. I can't remember if this was the case for K-on, but there were at least a lot of singles released for it.

cercia said:
List some OST's if u want. Wouldn't mind hunting down some recommendations...

List some eh?

I have a lot of anime OST’s all on CD:
Evangelion II & III
Black Lagoon
Wings of Honneamise
Genesis of Aquarion
Master Keaton
Disgaea
Welcome to the NHK: Sunny Side
Welcome to the NHK: Opening Theme
Cowboy Bebop:
Ask DNA
Future Blues
No Disc
Vitaminless
Darker than Black
TekkonkinKreet – Plaid
Viewtiful Joe
Gunslinger Girl
Patlabor 2
Durarara!
Last Exile: 1 Black and 2 White Soundtracks
Porco Rosso

Serial Experiments Lain and BoA album which has the opening.

I have just as many game OSTs…

I tend to listen to them on my cd-player. Just let them run, wallow in nostalgia for Sci-Fi channel late night anime binges or imagine myself in the universe of the Bebop crew etc.

I could have funded a trip to Japan with all of that money spent. Damn nostalgia!

As far as recommendations go, Durarara!, Patlabor 2, Tekkonkinkreet, Wings of Honneamise and anything by Yoko Kanno, Goddess of anime soundtracks!

Though it can become "samey" at times, I'd also suggest tracking down the works of Kow Otani--the guy behind Outlaw Star's OST. I wouldn't attest that it's the best of stuff, but it possesses a flair that always feels unique to Otani.

Uppa said:
Though it can become "samey" at times, I'd also suggest tracking down the works of Kow Otani--the guy behind Outlaw Star's OST. I wouldn't attest that it's the best of stuff, but it possesses a flair that always feels unique to Otani.

Kow Otani did the excellent Shadow of the Colossus score too! One of my favourite game soundtracks in my extensive collection.

I also have Spriggan and Paranoia Agent.

I have a request to anybody that can help. Darker than Black has a piece of Jazz music that plays with the introduction of November 11. Specifically when he follows the chap across the bridge and April drenches the guy. 43 seconds in:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mZ4jBptGJQo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mZ4jBptGJQo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I can't remember it being on the soundtrack or being on the blu-ray ost either. Can anybody tell me what the music is and where I can find it?

Back