Anime Or Manga?

Which do you prefer?

• Anime

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Manga

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Ramadahl said:
If someone's dismissing something solely because it's not from the manga then it's a little silly of them, though.
That's what irritates me somewhat. Reading around forums and such there are a lot of people that seem to do that. With a lot of people filler seems to mean bad.

I think the FMA anime is miles above the manga in terms of characters and overal quality in writing but there are some people that just seem to dismiss big chunks of it as filler because it wasn't the same as in the manga. I remember one person saying on another forum that Scar's personality in the anime was filler. That just sounds ridiculous to me.

To me filler in media will always be episodes/chapters that are there to pad out a story. The other definition about the director filling in the blanks will always ring as being wrong to me i'm afraid.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Ramadahl said:
If someone's dismissing something solely because it's not from the manga then it's a little silly of them, though.
That's what irritates me somewhat. Reading around forums and such there are a lot of people that seem to do that. With a lot of people filler seems to mean bad.
Has filler picked up negative connotations? Hell yeah. Because usually it's worse than the manga. I cite Rurouni Kenshin with the battling Feng-Shui users >.<
It's not that filler is always bad, it's just bad in the most popular, visible titles...

WTFDaveMustaine said:
I think the FMA anime is miles above the manga in terms of characters and overal quality in writing but there are some people that just seem to dismiss big chunks of it as filler because it wasn't the same as in the manga. I remember one person saying on another forum that Scar's personality in the anime was filler. That just sounds ridiculous to me.
Judging something entirely on it's own merits isn't always the easiest thing.
Haven't read the FMA manga, but... Scar's personality was filler? So... in that context it means that Scar didn't have any personality in the manga? And this was considered better? =x
Still, in cases like FMA where the manga is ongoing and the anime is wrapped up prematurely I'd normally go for the manga just so I could get the whole story. FMA just happened to have a good anime ending (well, I like it...), but other series (Fruits basket, GTO) haven't been so lucky.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
To me filler in media will always be episodes/chapters that are there to pad out a story. The other definition about the director filling in the blanks will always ring as being wrong to me i'm afraid.
Hey, whatever works for you man. Not a problem as long as there's no confusion.

Ramadahl said:
Haven't read the FMA manga, but... Scar's personality was filler? So... in that context it means that Scar didn't have any personality in the manga? And this was considered better? =x
I only read up to volume 3 of the manga and gave up on it because I greatly preferred the anime(didn't really like the artwork in the manga either) but as far as volume 3 goes Scar was just evil villian number one. His character was pretty much this: "I like killing people because it gives me a rise".

Wow this threads quite popular, more than i expected anyway.

Ramadahl, have you heard that the network took out 31% of One piece episodes which they thought was filler.

Which means that there are actually beginnings of Arcs missing!

WTFDaveMustaine said:
would be in FMA volume 3 the ED vs Roy story. That was filler and had nothing to do with the main story but when it was made into a tv episode it deveoped Mustangs character. Manga can and does have filler.
That's the kind of thing I was talking about. =|

Sort of like Omake chapters. Which are fun... not like a lot of anime filler.

I have to confess I'm more into watching anime than reading manga (buying anime by itself costs enough, let alone manga as well!) but not for one moment do I rate one over another, and personally I don't think anyone should.

Nothing wrong with personal preference and all that, but people should always respect the other, even if they invest more time and finances into whatever one they choose.

If that makes sense!

Guyver 0 said:
But this thread is about preferences

I know, and I did say there's nothing wrong with personal preference, but my point was trying to convey to people that they shouldn't get aggresively defensive about it (I even stated that I prefer anime over manga, but that doesn't mean I think its 'better' - if you go down that road you can get some zealot styled responses, and there about as productive as the Nazi's SS). :) :)

Over the past couple of years i've become a huge Manga fan, and when i'm reading a series i'm especially enjoying it can take over my love of Anime, but all in all Anime still just outranks Manga

Guyver 0 said:
Ramadahl, have you heard that the network took out 31% of One piece episodes which they thought was filler.

Hmm? Are you referring to the b*rst*rdised 4Kids version? Or did the Japanese version have some serious editing?

this is a tough one foe me as i really like both, anime and manga. but seeing as now i am more into anime, i would say anime! it brings everything to life. (although in some cases there are crappy anime's which dont do jack) lol

McIcy said:
Guyver 0 said:
Ramadahl said:
Guyver 0 said:

Hmm? Are you referring to the b*rst*rdised 4Kids version? Or did the Japanese version have some serious editing?

4kids

Ah the EVIL Network, that should have been shut down
They apparently skipped a lot of the plot, not because they thought it was filler but they wanted to get to a part of the show they deemed as merchandisable. I don't know how true that is but it is definitely something I wouldn't put past them.

Back