Which do you prefer?

• Anime

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Manga

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Guyver 0

Great Teacher
Ok It maybe a rubbish question or done some where before. but what do people prefer. I mean one moves (Anime) but the other lasts longer (Manga)

Manga, totally. We only have one TV, so I don't really get much of a chance to watch DVDs...really only late at night, when I'd rather play a video game or watch wrestling or something.

I can read manga any time really...bail off to my room to read, read in bed...pretty much anywhere I can go for some peace.

I make an effort to make time for your standard kinda stuff like Pokémon/One Piece/etc...other stuff just doesn't interest me enough.

I've got a load of anime DVDs I've bought and either not liked, or just never even watched...Elfen Lied, Excel Saga, Abenobashi, etc...

I figure if I buy a manga I don't like, I've only wasted about £6...but a rubbish anime DVD will have sucked about £15-20 from me.

I prefer anime because I have to be in the mood to read manga/any other kind of book.
Disco Machine said:
I figure if I buy a manga I don't like, I've only wasted about £6...but a rubbish anime DVD will have sucked about £15-20 from me.
I rarely buy something on DVD I haven't previously seen or been highly recommended to watch, I've never bought something I haven't liked.

I prefer manga. Cos you can curl up in bed or in front of a fire on a rainy night in the middle of winter and read a book, which in this case is manga. plus its a bit more mobile to anime.

I don't think you quite grasp the concept of filler. Filler stories are written as stories that don't have any major or lasting effect on an ongoing plotline. That's why they are called filler stories. They can even out the story so the main plot doesn't seem so overwhelming in some cases.

A lot of the time with anime based on an original manga the manga is still ongoing. Therefore they do not have something to follow for the anime adaption and create their own ending from what they have. That doesn't make it a filler ending(it's not possible to have a filler ending). Just because some elements don't appear in the original work it doesn't make it filler. It's just a different interpretation of somebody elses work.

You forgot the option of liking both!
I don't tend to read manga in the evenings, as I want to relax, so I watch anime, but as a hobby/pasttime, I like one as much as I like the other ^__^

I cant really say what I like better, I do like reading manga as you offten get more out of the story then you do in the anime. It also lets you decided on how a character would speak ect.
But I also like anime, it's much easyer to sit down and relax too.
So I guess I like both the same ^^

WTFDaveMustaine said:
I don't think you quite grasp the concept of filler. Filler stories are written as stories that don't have any major or lasting effect on an ongoing plotline. That's why they are called filler stories. They can even out the story so the main plot doesn't seem so overwhelming in some cases.

A lot of the time with anime based on an original manga the manga is still ongoing. Therefore they do not have something to follow for the anime adaption and create their own ending from what they have. That doesn't make it a filler ending(it's not possible to have a filler ending). Just because some elements don't appear in the original work it doesn't make it filler. It's just a different interpretation of somebody elses work.

I always thought there were two definitions of filler, the one you've given and the more usual "added in the anime, not in the manga". After all, these are two separate things, that just happen to both be referred to by the same name. Out of interest, how would you apply the "no major/lasting effect on ongoing plot" definition to episodic series like Mushishi or YKK that have no ongoing plot? Or to shoujo series which, while they have an ongoing plot, focus primarily on character relationships?

Back on topic, I went for manga even though I enjoy both. Manga usually (when they're made first, at any rate) have a more complete, fleshed-out story, and have small points that are left out of the anime (or worse; Berserk, Fruits Basket...). Of course, there are anime that follow their manga very closely (Monster, Hellsing Ultimate), and series that had no original manga (Eva, Haibane Renmei), so in those cases I prefer the anime.

Ramadahl said:
Out of interest, how would you apply the "no major/lasting effect on ongoing plot" definition to episodic series like Mushishi or YKK that have no ongoing plot? Or to shoujo series which, while they have an ongoing plot, focus primarily on character relationships?
Then i'd just call that additional stories for the anime version. True filler would be the current Naruto arc where they can't advance pretty much anything since they want to begin to follow the manga again at some point and don't want to do anything that would deveop or change the characters.

When people call something filler just because it wasn't in the manga version it kind of irritates me. A lot of people called the ending to the FMA anime filler because it wasn't in the manga but how can that be filler when it advanced the story so much? I think all this bull about filler endings should be put to rest because really how can an ending be filler.

Also saying that manga doesn't have any filler is rather silly too. Lots of manga have filler stories. For example while the Excel Saga manga doesn't have a really solid story there are occasional chapters which are just written in as a fictional universe to the characters and not meant to develop them in any way(yes there is very little story in Excel but the characters do develop). That would be a filler chapter. Another example would be in FMA volume 3 the ED vs Roy story. That was filler and had nothing to do with the main story but when it was made into a tv episode it deveoped Mustangs character. Manga can and does have filler.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Ramadahl said:
Out of interest, how would you apply the "no major/lasting effect on ongoing plot" definition to episodic series like Mushishi or YKK that have no ongoing plot? Or to shoujo series which, while they have an ongoing plot, focus primarily on character relationships?
Then i'd just call that additional stories for the anime version.
Uh, I was really referring to just manga here, but you answered my question when you said;
WTFDaveMustaine said:
For example while the Excel Saga manga doesn't have a really solid story there are occasional chapters which are just written in as a fictional universe to the characters and not meant to develop them in any way(yes there is very little story in Excel but the characters do develop). That would be a filler chapter.
Of course, you can always argue the particular significance of an episode to character and/or plot development, but hey, that's what forums are for :p

I was under the impression that added bits to anime were called filler because they had been "filled in" by the director (or whoever), and wasn't necessarily related to development at all. So I can see how people could call added elements filler.
And getting irritated about it... well, they're just different definitions at the end of the day. If someone's dismissing something solely because it's not from the manga then it's a little silly of them, though.
That said, lots of filler / original anime elements do suck whether development occurs or not, which is to be expected really as the characters will be directed by someone who may well have a totally different idea of what they're like than the original author. Then again, somethimes you get something like the Utena anime, which is just astronomically better than the manga (not that I could make it very far into the manga... :evil: ).

Anime over manga any day, I read manga at work but I much prefer kicking back and watching anime. Plus anime is usually the last thing I watch on my tv before going to bed at night

Back