Anime On-Line Statement on Credit/Debit Card Fraud

Re: UK Anime Fans Report on rise of Credit/Debit Card Fraud

I lost both of my credit cards to this, so I'm not going to be buying anything any time soon.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Chalk me up as another one who got a small £2-ish charge after the big one. You'd have thought they'd take the hint after their food splurge phail.

Also, if what Andy Hanley of UK Anime says is true, then perhaps Anime-On-Line aren't blameless after all.

Click-me-do
Knowing Andy I'd be inclined to think anything he says on the matter is both well informed and accurate, subject to the caveats he mentions.

I'm concerned that MVM haven't made any sort of official acknowledgement of the breach, apart from the statements about Anime-on-Line being "closed for maintenance".

Just got a letter though today about Fraud on my account.

Rang my bank up & I had two attempts of Fraud on my account, 200 odd quid on clothes & 83 on mechanics or something. Now I have to wait for a new card ..blurgghh.

Its frustrating as this is the reason why I couldn't get a contract phone too (Had no idea there was a block on my card), which I REALLY need ASAP, now I can't do anything till I get a new card.

Hi. Long time lurker here...

Just yesterday I had to call up my bank due to my card being declined when trying to purchase something. Turns out there was fraudulent transactions amounting to just over 100 quid from my account. Some of it has already been refunded and I am now waiting for a new card to be sent to me.

I'd made a few purchases lately with some online stores that I'd never had any dealings with before so I did assume it was something to do with that, but now I guess it must be from the one time when I bought the deal of the week from AoL a few months back.

They just hit me. I noticed my 'funds available' was lower then it should be so rang the bank. £1.13 was charged to Hoffman, which the bank tells me is basically Virgin Atlantic, and a failed attempt was made for £181 to be paid to BT, but I only have £20-ish in my account with no overdraft so it didn't go through. Card is cancelled and replacement is on the way.
All those pre-orders that will need to be cancelled and redone... :x

EDIT: Just happened within the last few hours so anyone who has not been hit yet should keep a close eye on their accounts.

Wow I got hit by the BT guy too, someone tried taking £180 to pay a BT bill, which got refused, and someone got £2 for some insurance or something.

I'm actually on hold on BT right now, they're looking at the date and time and seeing who it was billed for. I'm not letting this one go, when I find out who tried to fraud my bank I'll be taking them to court.

Very disappointing at MVM.

Lawrence said:
fabricatedlunatic said:
Chalk me up as another one who got a small £2-ish charge after the big one. You'd have thought they'd take the hint after their food splurge phail.

Also, if what Andy Hanley of UK Anime says is true, then perhaps Anime-On-Line aren't blameless after all.

Click-me-do

While I imagine these things take time to ascertain, wouldn't an email to warn customers of the potential leak be the first order of action, rather than "we are updating our system, please re-register once we finish." I mean, hell, I still want my Shana boxset but there's no way anyone is going to be willing to sign up again straight away. An apology might help though.

Actually its more annoying that they haven't admitted to a fault & they didnt inform customers to check their bank accounts. I only found out about this simply because it was reported here and on UKA aswell, which is very poor on MVM's part and i am now very hesitant when using their site in the future if i do at all

Last shopped at MVM in Dec 2010 on one card, and May 2011 on the other. Reading here, it seems that elapsed time is no defence, so I called up my bank and cancelled both cards anyway, though no money's been filched from my accounts yet.

Better to act pre-emptively than wait for someone to defraud my account then spend two months back and forth with the bank sorting out refunds. Which I've had to do on too many occasions in the past.

Thankfully, there is no way for me to be affected by this as i was hit by fraud/had my card hit 3 months ago on different matters. I've yet to use my new cards with AoL, and i probably won't do so now until PayPal has been fully implimented to the site. So it's kind of weird to say, hah, but thanks to being hit by fraud, i've avoided being hit by fraud.

reborn said:
I had O2, a jewellery shop and some place in the US that I couldn't quite catch.

Pretty much the same thing happened to me. Still it got caught and clamped down on by the bank, just a shame it was a small site we all use which got hit. Hopefully there'll be lessons learnt here.

Lawrence said:
I mean, today I got a phone call from someone who claimed there was malware on my hard disk...

That's unrelated to this I suspect, those companies just call everyone they can in the hopes of tricking someone into buying their PC support package, had a call 5-6 months ago and so have a few people at work over the years.

Samieniceguy said:
Wow I got hit by the BT guy too, someone tried taking £180 to pay a BT bill, which got refused, and someone got £2 for some insurance or something.

I'm actually on hold on BT right now, they're looking at the date and time and seeing who it was billed for. I'm not letting this one go, when I find out who tried to fraud my bank I'll be taking them to court.

Don't waste your time trying to take someone to Court, how would you prove it was them that did this? and what loss have you suffered? If you get the info pass it to your Bank's fraud team so they can pass it to the Police.

I think ive been had too.
Transaction for £32.99 to GAME, havent used GAME since May.
I dont appear to of had a O2 transaction.
Phoned up the bank, a week to get a new card. And if Game say i did buy the game the money will be taken back. I was like well someones had a Game, how do i prove its not me. And all he could say is if its a online transaction they will check it against my normal account.

Someone tried to spend £19,000 in a jewellery store on my card, without realising that I'm a poor student and am closer to -£19,000 than £19,000! Luckily NatWest caught it pretty much as it was happening and the woman who I spoke to said they tried it 10 times and it just bounced each time! Daft f*ckers. I also got £30 spent on 02 topups, and like $3 something that I didn't catch where from. A burger place in the US I think. Gotta give NatWest credit though, they called me on Saturday, I had a new card on the doormat on Tuesday morning, and I was refunded the £30 on Wednesday, so I can't fault them there.

MVM posted this on facebook
MVM Entertainment said:
The site is now back up however we are still in the process of uploading everything so please be patient. We are hoping to have Shana back as deal of the week later.
Please remember that the customer database has been wiped clean so you will need to re-register.
Still no mention of the fraud we've been suffering. Not much point making a new customer profile since I don't have my new debit card yet :x

Just noticed that Facebook post. Disgusting. Still no admission that their site was compromised, never mind an apology for their apparently cavalier approach to safeguarding their customers' personal details. That's another UK anime distributor on my **** list, which makes... all of them.

Back