Anime Limited Reveals More Cancelled Titles for Home Video Release

So how does this even happen? Surely if you announce you hold the licence, you must have signed a contract that grants you the licence, and if the licence holders revoke it from you before its time is up they should have to face some sort of penalty?

Not feeling remotely well disposed towards Funimation right now I have to say, which probably lessens the chance of me importing their releases.

I imagine since these licenses where probably signed before Sony took over. There was probably legal room where Sony gets to re-negotiate the license agreement, and used that as a way to take back their licenses.

It's a shame AL themselves can't tell us the exact reason.

Thinking about it I'd say it's a given they've done the same with the all the Universal titles, nothing from their camp for months now & it's wayyyy past the release dates.

Very disappointed about Dimension W I was holding out for it and I wasn't keen on the US CE. Standard it is then.

Funimation need to sort something out with these releases, it's very damaging for UK fans missing out on a whole host of shows.

annoying more ones been waiting for UK release for so i'll av to import Dagashi Kashi and Death Parade and so much for the bluray for Riddle Story of Devil hopefully funimation will release bluray eventually (prob not) might just get the dvd

I don't think I can remember a 'big' company like Sony ever doing well for anime over here, the sales numbers are often too meagre for them to take much of any notice, which is why we're always better served by independent local companies/labels like Anime Ltd & MVM who are more passionate about anime and have knowledge of this industry. Time will tell what happens next.

I just had a quick look back at this thread:

Sony to acquire majority stake in FUNimation

It hasn't been a year but obviously we're now feeling the ripples from this.

Quite disappointing to see AL lose almost all of the remaining Funi titles they had to release but we could kinda see it coming with there being no updates for most of them in quite sometime, some we had no updates on since they were first announced almost 2 year ago 😮.

I think the one that hurts most is Death Parade was looking to seeing what the UE would like, Dimension W is a surprising one as that was supposed to be out either a few months ago or around now so that must have got quite far along to be suddenly cancelled.

Kinda glad i imported most of the ones I would have been interested in at some point, with just Chaos Dragon, Ninja Slayer and Rolling Girls left to try on FuniNow to see if they're worth importing. Might eventually import Genocidal Organ as I thought it was decent when I saw it in the cinema.

I would have double dipped on a UE or CE for Death Parade, as that is one of my favorite anime ever. I bought the Funi LE as soon a I watched the series. Also wanted the Genocidal Organ Steelcase to complete the trilogy steel set.

What I don't understand is that if Sony have no intention of releasing these shows why not sub license them and make a bit of money? It's not even as if they have to put the time or effort into releasing them.

They will never make mega money for Sony but surely it's better than nothing

So when a license expires without releasing anything. Does the company loose a lot of money from this?

So take Death Parade as an example, would Anime Limited loose the money for the initial license, any costs assosiated with gathering materials for the release, money spent on staff planning?

That seems an awful amout of money to be loosing for something thats out of their hands

Death Parade :(

Do we think this is a result of the Sony reshuffle, then?

May as well jump in - the reasons are a bit more complex so to generalise a bit it's not really anyone's faults on that frontier. There were a lot of titles in the initial Funimation pool which got put on hold officially although we kept working in the background on them (like Death Parade) while what ultimately lead to the Funimation x Sony deal but started about 6 months before the Universal release of My Hero Academia.

It's a frustrating situation where there's nobody really to be angry at here in it. I can't speak for the release schedule on any of those shows now but I can assure you there are plenty of other titles and projects we have to work on anyway to keep us busy! We're as gutted as you guys are on several of those projects too but sadly that's the way it goes on it sometimes.

Best,

Andrew

So when a license expires without releasing anything. Does the company loose a lot of money from this?

So take Death Parade as an example, would Anime Limited loose the money for the initial license, any costs assosiated with gathering materials for the release, money spent on staff planning?

That seems an awful amout of money to be loosing for something thats out of their hands

It's all amicable and a bit complex to explain (not to mention a bit boring) but sufficed to say no money has been lost in the process there on our side so don't worry there :).

AP

I'm sure we'd all love to read an explanation that goes into more detail than "Funimation likes to screw over UK fans at every opportunity."

I don’t know if they do I do think it’s very complicated and don’t want to try and understand it

They don't by the by - it's very complicated and not really my place to explain in detail. These kind of deals are not one sided things and as you know, I'm exceptionally open and level about things when it's just Anime Limited.

What I would say is it's always teething problems integrating into releasing work in a new territory - even moreso when you're integrating with a major studio who has processes and workflows to respect. It always sucks from a consumer point of view and doesn't make it better but give it some time and I'm sure things will get on track with releases there.

Best,

Andrew

So basically, we have to wait until Sony's too high expectations from sales of their own UK anime releases fail to be realized and they'll start sub-licensing again?

I'd have thought they'd already learned this lesson with Paprika and Tekkonkinkreet, given they never released any more anime ever again.

Back