Anime Limited Provides Details on Upcoming Q2 Slate

Regarding whether or not AL's release of Maquia will have the same restrictions as the US Shout Factory release, I'm guessing that they'll probably author it the same way they do with all of their releases handled by their French label (soft coded subtitles, but locked during playback).

And taking on more licenses then anime limited can deal with doesn't help and the licenses that you guys already have don't last forever.

That would be a gross oversimplification of how things work, honestly - it's not as simple as "license anime, press button, release anime" (although if only it were!) There are a whole wealth of other considerations and reasons why titles take time to be produced and released, even when those titles have been released in English in other territories.

Of course it goes without saying that there are some titles that have taken far longer than we'd like to make it to retail, and I'm certainly not going to say we're always entire blameless for that - we're only human, after all - but if a title hasn't been released or publicly scheduled yet it's usually for good reason.

That would be a gross oversimplification of how things work, honestly - it's not as simple as "license anime, press button, release anime" (although if only it were!) There are a whole wealth of other considerations and reasons why titles take time to be produced and released, even when those titles have been released in English in other territories.

Of course it goes without saying that there are some titles that have taken far longer than we'd like to make it to retail, and I'm certainly not going to say we're always entire blameless for that - we're only human, after all - but if a title hasn't been released or publicly scheduled yet it's usually for good reason.
But weren't there a number of funimation titles supposed to come out this month? They were scheduled then dropped with not explanation.

Will we hear about titles like Ace Attorney and Bungo Stray Dogs in the near future? I’m curious as to whether you still have the licenses to them or not?

Last edited:
That would be a gross oversimplification of how things work, honestly - it's not as simple as "license anime, press button, release anime
Rudeness and treating others like they stupid will get you nowhere mate and I know it's not that simple but like I said anime limited is takeing to many new licenses on instead of dealing with the licenses you already have.

Rudeness and treating others like they stupid will get you nowhere mate and I know it's not that simple but like I said anime limited is takeing to many new licenses on instead of dealing with the licenses you already have.

I mean, you're being pretty rude yourself. Hanners is trying to tell you they're trying their best to get things out as quick as they can, they can't do much more than that. It doesn't matter how many they take on, so long as they come out eventually. Does it matter if they licence a title now and release it in 2 years compared to licencing it in 2 years and releasing it shortly after? Not really, they're just making sure they get the titles they want so they aren't beaten to the punch.

Anime limited are not big unlike funimation now owned by Sony.its no wonder people import and if I was being rude hanners would know about it and I was just stateing facts that anime limited can not deal with more licenses and they can't have every license that's out there it's impossible.

Last edited:
It has to be said that I'd rather AL had the licenses than some of the competitors. With the exception of MVM's recent CE push, AL make the best sets on the market (obviously with some exception and speaking personally). Even if it takes awhile for the series to come out, they almost always do and almost always in a package that I want to own.

Even just the Q2 releases as an example, I've wanted to own Silver Spoon from the moment I saw it and it has been a long time coming but that set will be worth the wait in the end. Anime fans are impatient and sure, the wait times for AL releases can be really bad and I'm not saying they're not, but I do think some of the complaining is often unnecessary.

I'm not saying AL do no wrong but anime is a complicated and difficult market to work in. I'm sure there are headaches behind the scenes at every turn and we're not nearly respectful enough of that sometimes.

So we should sit here have no information especially with the whole CR thing meaning lots of title losses and hope everything ends good in the end.
And as I've said MVM are kinda worse in some cases because I dont care for books and I'm forced to wait between 4-6 months when in the US as most of these are sentai titles and therefore got SEs, Kizu I get being CE only as only non AoA BD but Fate HF being CE only I disagree with that as US and AUS have SEs.
Manga aren't better with Overlord either and cancelling MFKZ, so all 3 aren't good imo.

Last edited:

Apologies that I came across as rude, but I'm just trying to point out that we're rarely just sat on a license for no reason. For example, we can't release a title without video materials; we can't make a Collector's Edition without additional assets; we can't release anything without approvals - these are all things that take time, often before we even reach the "fun part" of compiling and creating the release we want to produce.

Delays and the like are just as frustrating to us here at Anime Limited as it is to you folks - you should have seen the excitement and relief when our final Pigtails samples finally landed in the office! - and we appreciate that entirely; indeed, it's precisely why we're now trying not to talk about titles that don't have firm release plans in hand, as we've heard people loud and clear that you folk don't appreciate being told about titles without knowing when they might be available to buy or otherwise watch.

So we should sit here have no information especially with the whole CR thing meaning lots of title losses and hope everything ends good in the end.

I don't think anyone is saying we are above questioning - in fact, we welcome it! However, we can only talk about any given set of circumstances or any announcement once it's completely finalised and set in stone to ensure that we give people accurate information. Unfortunately all we can ask sometimes is for people's patience - I can assure everyone that we don't ignore any queries or concerns that come our way, it's just that we aren't always in a position to answer them or explain something immediately.

Little insights such as these are appreciated so thank you @Hanners for giving them. I’ll remain patient for now in regards to titles such as the ones I mentioned in my other comment, though I hope the silence pertaining to their release status means they’re still licensed and haven’t been lost!

I’ve been holding back on importing them since I’d rather support AL where I can, plus a CE for Ace Attorney is preferable over two part releases or the slipless complete season one set.

Hanners while we have you about, is there any thing that you could tell us as to why the gap between parts 1 and 2 of Twin star, is going to be 7 months? would you call this acceptable? and finally, is this going to become the new norm?

Hanners while we have you about, is there any thing that you could tell us as to why the gap between parts 1 and 2 of Twin star, is going to be 7 months? would you call this acceptable? and finally, is this going to become the new norm?

We're not happy with the long gap between volumes of Twin Star Exorcists ourselves, and it certainly isn't something that we plan to be the norm with us, no.

This particular case is a perfect example of my previous response that there's usually a reason for any long wait, and in this case my understanding is that we had a longer than expected delay in getting hold of certain critical materials required for our remaining volumes. Even when another territory has already released something, we still have to follow processes to obtain materials and get approvals, which can hold things up.

It's nobody's fault in this instance and isn't down to any one problem, it's just a complexity that can sometimes cause a kink in the hose that means we can't spray you with as much anime goodness as we'd otherwise like.*

* That metaphor came out sounding grosser than I expected...

I know that, but if they plan to release the 3 remaining over Q2, then logically the first has to be April, should have worded it differently or put a proviso on it.
I'll try this way, if as worded on the Q2 titles (maybe) list, (sounds terrible now) the second part of Twin Star Exorcist is to be released (at some as yet unnamed point in Q2) if so, do you have any insights as to why the gap between parts 1 and 2 has been (between) 7 and 9 months? Do you see this as acceptable? If not why has it been allowed to get this long. Also is this to be considered the new normal for part releases or is this just a monumental mess up?
Better?
Sorry \Hanners this one wasn't for you, just being silly for effect.

Back