Anime Limited Moves Kill la Kill's Release Date Forward

As far as I'm aware, the only extra is a box (and that's a posh box, not like a steelbook or anything) and a paper bound art book which, I presume, will be the same size as the blu-ray box for packing reasons. Throw a nice poster in there or some stickers and I might let you get away with calling that a collector's edition, but otherwise... you're getting a book (cravat; I'll take my words back and beg for forgiveness if this book contains exclusive content like artist comments and production sketches the likes of which we'd never usually see outside of JP).

I mean... are you seeing the things NISA are doing with their anime releases? Makes this effort look a bit of a joke.

@Lutga If it's the case that they are simply selling it at the price that JP demands, then that's how it is and this is misdirected annoyance. But the whole UK industry, after promising to be more communicative last year, has closed ranks and shut its mouth again so we'll probably never know.

@Rui Sound argument all around. You are right, and the approach that's being taken by Anime Limited is probably the right one. But I still can't help but think this particular release is incredibly stingy. Even having plenty of disposable income to throw at this hobby, I just can't justify that price point when I don't feel that there is enough value in what is being offered - even factoring in my desire to support the industry.

It's moved forward again! November 3rd.

I'm happy to wait for the standard edition anyway. As long as I know that the option of a standard Blu-ray will eventually be available I can wait. I've got other things to distract me in the meantime.

Of course my reaction would be completely different if that option were never made available to me.

Claw said:
@Rui Sound argument all around. You are right, and the approach that's being taken by Anime Limited is probably the right one. But I still can't help but think this particular release is incredibly stingy. Even having plenty of disposable income to throw at this hobby, I just can't justify that price point when I don't feel that there is enough value in what is being offered - even factoring in my desire to support the industry.
To be blunt, don't buy it then. As both us and Andrew has said, there will be a cheaper standard edition in the future.
It could be worse. You could be me and paying £40 each per volume for AniplexUSA's five volumes. You're getting more content wise for your money for the UK release.
Aniplex's volumes include the DVD/CD extras from the JP releases whilst the UK release is 3 volumes and compiles the booklets from each volume.

You also have to consider what sort of clustf*** this release would've been if Manga got hold of it. They'd most likely have to have done 5 volumes like US/AUS at SAO prices and include no extras.
At most you'd probably have got an oversized slipcover with "Collectors Edition" slapped on it.

Claw said:
As far as I'm aware, the only extra is a box (and that's a posh box, not like a steelbook or anything) and a paper bound art book which, I presume, will be the same size as the blu-ray box for packing reasons. Throw a nice poster in there or some stickers and I might let you get away with calling that a collector's edition, but otherwise... you're getting a book (cravat; I'll take my words back and beg for forgiveness if this book contains exclusive content like artist comments and production sketches the likes of which we'd never usually see outside of JP)..

It's a 188 paged book which is a replica of what the Japanese release had in it's first release, so yes, full of production stuff you wouldn't usually see outside of Japan.

Updated the article with the new date. Knowing my luck, it will be moved up again xD.

I do currently have a pre-order of Kill la Kill volume 1 on Amazon because I loved the series when it aired and I'm too impatient to wait until the end of next year for a possible budget box set. However, when I've spoken about the release with friends who I know are fellow fans though, they have been less than optimistic about the pricing structure, often asking themselves how much they are willing to spend on Kill la Kill.

The way people I've spoken to see it, is that for Kill la Kill, they would be paying £130 for a 25 episode series (if Anime Limited's Volume 3 includes the OVA. Will that be the case Andrew?), which they see as £5.20 per episode, compared to say, MangaUK's Psycho-Pass release which they see as £2 per episode of a series with a similar length. To be fair, if Kill la Kill was a barebones release like Psycho-Pass, I would agree that £5.20 per episode was absolutely ridiculous, because I don't believe the price of a release like that should go higher than £2 per HD episode (and I'm still having to try and justify spending over £20 for MVM's PAL DVD releases of single cour series').

However, that comparison isn't taking into account the various differences between the UK home video releases of Kill la Kill and Psycho-Pass such as:

- The actual companies involved in their releases, both from a Japanese and North American point of view.
Some will be more willing to allow certain release models, while others will not. Case in point: MangaUK were allowed to release Psycho-Pass as a complete collection, while Anime Limited had to negotiate down from 5 volumes to 3, being unable to reach the 2 volumes they were allowed for France.
- The time differences between the Japanese, North American and English home video releases of the two series'.
The last Japanese home video release of Psycho-Pass was in July 2013, which was followed by a March 2014 U.S. release and a September 2014 UK release. In comparison, Kill la Kill's last Japanese home video release was in September 2014, while the first U.S. release was in July 2014, with the UK one set for November 2014.
That's a difference of 14 months for Psycho-Pass and 2 months for Kill la Kill (and if we focus only on the episodes on the discs, it's still only 6 months).
- The difference in release format. Psycho-Pass is in a barebones amaray containing 4 blu-ray discs, contained in a slip-cover. Kill la Kill volume 1 does only have two blu-ray discs, but has higher quality outer packaging, specially made inner packaging and a 188 page art booklet. Those specially made bonuses aren't cheap to make.

I was wondering something though Andrew, although as they're quite heavy questions, I'll understand if you're not at liberty to answer them:

When Aniplex of America released Puella Magi Madoka Magica in North America, they released the three individual volumes as the Limited Edition combo-pack, as well as both standard DVD and blu-rays. When they released Sword Art Online, they went with a similar model but dropped the standard blu-ray (although Manga UK was able to release the series on blu-ray here.

I was wondering whether the option of a similar model (Collector's Edition being released simultaneously with standard amaray releases) was considered but either wasn't seen as viable, or was considered but couldn't be negotiated with Aniplex of America (or would have negatively impacted your plans for the Collector's Edition, such as the number of volumes)?

And if Aniplex of America hypothetically gave permission for a standard, multi-volume amaray release, what would you estimate the price-tag of each volume to be? (Considering the Amazon prices of things like MangaUK's Sword Art Online, I can't see there being a massive price difference between the KLK CEs and a standard release to be honest).

I feel I should also add to Josh's excellent breakdown by saying that Manga UK's release of Psycho-Pass looks awful. IIRC it has better audio for some reason but it otherwise replicates the poor video quality of the FUNimation release, which was ghastly. It defeats the object of buying on BD in the first place if the video quality isn't any good, whereas we can be reasonably confident that Kill la Kill is going to be checked before release.

I resent paying for that kind of thing, so it's a fine example of how saving money doesn't always necessarily mean you aren't being ripped off. Which is a shame as Psycho-Pass is a great show and I'd have happily paid Anime Limited prices for a decent version of it.

R

Rui said:
I resent paying for that kind of thing, so it's a fine example of how saving money doesn't always necessarily mean you aren't being ripped off. Which is a shame as Psycho-Pass is a great show and I'd have happily paid Anime Limited prices for a decent version of it.

R

I don't think many have realised that not paying much means you also don't get much. It's not surprising that cheap releases have problems because they are cheap because they didn't spend money on QC, and they lack feature because they didn't spend money on features.

Granted I do wonder at the top end if all the extra money goes into content and QC or if there is an bit bunged on the price for the hell of it (not referring to UK market releases btw)

After reading some of these points, I've realised I'm wrong about the price point. While it's too rich for my blood, taking into consideration everything that's been said it probably is hitting more or less the right cost for what you're getting (assuming the quality control is spot on). So here's a rare moment for you all; someone on the internet is admitting they were wrong. Apologises to Anime Limited. I look forward to picking this series up when it's more in my cost region.

Wow, that was the most polite resolution to a debate I've seen in a while; respect to you, Claw.

For what it's worth I think you're completely right to defend the 'standard edition' buyers - those fans are no less deserving, they're just less desperate to have a premium set of any particular series, and everyone has shows they like but don't love which they wouldn't want to spend a huge amount on. The market as a whole benefits from having a mixture of premium releases and cheaper classics available, and online access to help those who want to support shows without having enough income to buy the discs.

Fortunately, Andrew seems very concerned about keeping everyone happy so I trust Anime Limited will have something up their sleeve for the future standard edition of Kill la Kill (with the advantage that they can re-use the nicely tested discs from the premium one and avoid any major quality issues).

R

First of all - massive respect to Andrew for being so active in this forum. Being a representative of one of the biggest distributors of anime and not ducking when shots are taken takes balls. Certain other distributors, take note...

IMHO, I totally understand that the physical media market is veering towards premium products. I lament that companies are very much at the mercy of the Japanese creators on one hand, deciding more or less at random what gets released how. On the other hand, as VOD simulcasts are increasingly becoming the norm for both otakus and casual fans, the target demographic for the cheap barebones release is probably shrinking. Premium physical seems like the only way to make money, which I'm certain nobody here actually has a problem with Anime Limited (in this case) doing.

Granted, I'm a somewhat casual fan but I won't buy a show I've already seen. I saw KLK on CR and won't pick it up on BD regardless of price (well, realistical prices). I do however think that there are more people willing to grab a cheaper barebones release at once, than there are hardcore fans going for the premium now along with standard buyers later. I think that would be better business. Yes, I just said "drop the premium editions". Not that Japan would let foreign distributors do this. I'm probably completely wrong, but I thought I'd throw that idea out there. :)

I'm not certain I'm making any sense here, so please be gentle.

Cactus said:
Granted, I'm a somewhat casual fan but I won't buy a show I've already seen. I saw KLK on CR and won't pick it up on BD regardless of price (well, realistical prices). I do however think that there are more people willing to grab a cheaper barebones release at once, than there are hardcore fans going for the premium now along with standard buyers later. I think that would be better business. Yes, I just said "drop the premium editions". Not that Japan would let foreign distributors do this. I'm probably completely wrong, but I thought I'd throw that idea out there. :)

The fact that it is a premium edition is why we are having it now rather than later, they won't allow a cheap standard edition this close to the Japanese release because Japanese fans can and will reverse import.

Given that streaming is taking off if you want to sell Anime you really do need some kind of speed, sure people will still buy a standard set 1.5 years after it was originally aired, but others will have watched 5-6 more seasons of anime on their streaming sites and will barely notice that old show hitting stores.

Back