Anime Limited Moves Kill la Kill's Release Date Forward

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
The first part of Anime Limited's upcoming release of Studio Trigger's hit television anime&nbsp;<strong>Kill la Kill</strong>&nbsp;was originally scheduled to launch on 8th December 2014, in&nbsp;both a Collector's Edition DVD and blu-ray releases. While it's almost become a trend in for home video releases of anime to be delayed, today, the distributor announced on their official website that with&nbsp;<em>Kill la Kill</em>, the opposite is happening.

The first volume of the series compiles the first nine episodes of the series and will also include a booklet featuring production artwork from the series. Anime Limited have also released a new trailer for the series:

Instead,&nbsp;the first volume of&nbsp;<em>Kill la Kill</em>&nbsp;will now be released on <strong>3rd</strong><strong>&nbsp;November 2014</strong>, meaning that we'll be able to enjoy this series a whole three weeks earlier! The distributor is also looking at hopefully having some copies to sell at MCM London Comic Con at the end of this month, but can't confirm whether they will at this time.

Source

The fact that some copies might arrive in time for MCM amuses me, I might get one there (assuming it will be discounted better than Amazon & Shop AtA).

NormanicGrav said:
The fact that some copies might arrive in time for MCM amuses me, I might get one there (assuming it will be discounted better than Amazon & Shop AtA).

If we do it there, we'll have to match to Amazon I'm afraid - don't want to upset our friends there :).

AP

omg andrew pls stop hurting my wallet.

I thought things were a little easier as Wings of Mayonnaise got delayed (for good reason mind you, I'm a sucker for fancy packaging), now this? you swines <3

(I love this news, looks like it'll be on my door step at the start of my annual leave from work, brilliant stuff)

Man November is a super heavy month, still better than having things out on silly dates like 24 December, November lets people have time to buy.

Rosencrantz said:
Man November is a super heavy month, still better than having things out on silly dates like 24 December, November lets people have time to buy.

Depending on what people are spending it is quite a big month. I've got High School DxD New and Sailor Moon Set 1 in November (H.O.T.D. is a maybe depending on my current situation with money and the QC), both of which are fairly pricey but it's got my money's worth.

Either way, November is a good month for Kill la Kill and I wonder how America is going to react since I noticed some have their eyes on Andrew's precious sets.

The audio seems to be missing from the dub trailer. I was hoping to hear some voice acting from episodes 5 - 9, and yes, the dub is pretty good. I'm pretty much picking up this release for the booklet :3

NormanicGrav said:
Either way, November is a good month for Kill la Kill and I wonder how America is going to react since I noticed some have their eyes on Andrew's precious sets.
Hardly surprising. There's a concentrated minority that constantly bitch about anything AoA related on ANN I've noticed.

anime_andrew said:
NormanicGrav said:

If we do it there, we'll have to match to Amazon I'm afraid - don't want to upset our friends there :).

AP
Preordered it on Amazon a while back for £39.91 - don't see you price matching that on your site but I hope the show sells well for you.

mangaman74 said:
anime_andrew said:
NormanicGrav said:

AP
Preordered it on Amazon a while back for £39.91 - don't see you price matching that on your site but I hope the show sells well for you.

I'm sure Andrew can add an MCM exclusive price of £39.99 for the Blu-ray set.

That reminds me, is Space Dandy going to be there?

On the one hand seeing something move up the schedule is a great change to the usual stream of delays from both you guys and MVM.
On the other hand... I still haven't figured out what I want to do with Kill La Kill and this definitely puts some more pressure on me.
One of the big questions to me is how likely it is that by the time volume 3 gets released there won't be collector's edition copies left of part 1 and 2?
These decisions as to whether or not go for something are really tough. A lot of money involved (even more if the exchange rate gets even worse) after all.

NormanicGrav said:
Rosencrantz said:
Depending on what people are spending it is quite a big month.
That can be said of any month of the year if you assume people don't just buy the newest releases. =P
(And coincidence can influence the weight/burn of a month greatly as well.)

NormanicGrav said:
I thought December was a fine place for Kill La Kill given December has shaped up to become a really bare month.
Next to the Naruto Shippuden movie release editions there are only 6 other releases planned for December altogether (given TTGL DVD is moving up to November again).

NormanicGrav said:
NormanicGrav said:
anime_andrew said:

AP
mangaman74 said:

If you mean at MCM Comic Con, then I suggest you to read Anime Ltd's blog post again. ^_~
Or to reiterate: Collector's Edition won't be available, but standard edition advanced copies actually will be available at MCM.
Price of those advanced standard edition Blu-ray copies I can't predict, but I suspect £26~£30 to be a realistic price range.
That being said, Amazon have listed the Space Dandy season 1 regular edition Blu-ray for £37.24.

NormanicGrav said:

It's a tough one because I don't really want people to abandon Amazon orders esp when it comes out not so long after MCM anyway - so we may be able to compromise and go to £40 but I need to discuss with our sales team. It's a very tight rope to walk would you believe?

Dandy will be there on standard edition @ £30 :).

Will have a wee post up re stock at MCM too shortly!

Best,

AP

Even at £40 that's too much for 9 eps. £120 (or around £130 at Amazon prices) for the whole series? Pull the other one.

Claw said:
Even at £40 that's too much for 9 eps. £120 (or around £130 at Amazon prices) for the whole series? Pull the other one.
At least you don't have to pay that for 4 episodes like the US and Australia.

Claw said:

This is the Collector's Edition. You can watch it for free legally online until a cheaper mass market version comes out later if you don't want the special edition goodies and fast track release.

R

I think the term "collector's edition" is being used a little liberally from what we've seen so far, and I seriously doubt that the subsequent edition will be much lower in terms of price. That certainly has not happened with other releases lately (granted, waiting a year or so might get you a complete edition though, that is true). At any rate, when they are not being unreasonable with release prices like this I always prefer to buy early because I want to support the industry. But it's apparent that the UK industry is starting to make an attempt to equalise our pricing structure with the US/AUS/JP, which is unfortunate because they've been pretty damn reasonable up until recently. Maybe I was just spoiled by that.

To a degree, this is the price we pay for being anime fans. I'm sure a 'casual' non-otaku box set buyer of stuff like GoT and Breaking Bad would think £24 for 12 eps was still a rip off.

We are, ultimately, beholden to the Japanese copyright holders - if they say jump, we follow. It's either that, or no UK release at all, surely?

Claw said:
I think the term "collector's edition" is being used a little liberally from what we've seen so far, and I seriously doubt that the subsequent edition will be much lower in terms of price. That certainly has not happened with other releases lately (granted, waiting a year or so might get you a complete edition though, that is true). At any rate, when they are not being unreasonable with release prices like this I always prefer to buy early because I want to support the industry. But it's apparent that the UK industry is starting to make an attempt to equalise our pricing structure with the US/AUS/JP, which is unfortunate because they've been pretty damn reasonable up until recently. Maybe I was just spoiled by that.

As said by many, this release is a collectors edition with a rigid box and a huge art/liner book. We are paying a premium for these extras as well as the fact we are getting the release a lot sooner than usual on our shores.

A standard release with a price of probably £40 (just look at the Cowboy Bebop standard release for an example) will come probably later next year.

I don't think it's even the Japanese side which mandates the shift towards collectible releases nowadays; it's plain that the buying audience for anime has transformed over the last few years. The strategy that companies like Manga UK are fond of is to push out entire series for a ridiculously cheap price (being able to get a full series for under £10 on BD is insane; why is a niche product cheaper than something like Game Of Thrones which already made its money back ten times over before its release?). Their hope is that they will sell 10x more copies at the budget price than it would at a price which reflects its status as a niche title.

The problem with that model from a consumer's perspective is that when things flop, they flop catastrophically and destroy the chances of any sequels or similar titles ever making their way to the UK. The catalogue of disastrous releases in the thread which tracks disappointing discs is growing steadily as companies skimp on niceties like quality control and video extras (including extras which are effectively part of the actual show). There are also other issues, such as the UK market having transformed into a hollow shell of its old self where local companies are simply repackaging the US/Australian discs six months after they're released instead of going for new licenses themselves. I don't feel that the current Manga UK model serves me as a fan, irrespective of whether the discs cost £10 or £100. £10 for a release I don't feel proud to own is a waste of money; £100 for something I look at proudly every day is a bargain.

UK releases are cheap, but they are often quantifiably worse than the foreign versions - and by the time the UK edition comes out, the chances are that the US will soon be rereleasing the show in a budget pack anyway, so a patient person can save a fortune keeping their options open. This is the bed that companies like Manga UK have made, so they have to lie in it. They've trained a whole generation of fans that anime is valueless fodder.

I understand that many fans don't care about the quality problem we have in the UK at the moment. Legal streaming is still in its early days in this country, held back by companies such as Manga UK (again) who are frightened that streaming their bigger titles will undercut their disc sales. Fans who don't want to resort to piracy are happy that the devaluation of anime means they can still build up a decent collection without breaking the bank.

But it's not sustainable, is it? Like it or not, legal streaming is a thing that's happening so there's no need to stock up on barebones releases just to watch a show any more. Many people who watch a mediocre title streaming can be heard to say things like "I'll only buy it on DVD if it comes with a dub, since I saw it subbed already" and "There's no point in buying on low quality DVD when I watched it in HD on Crunchyroll". Or simply "I didn't like it as much as I thought, so I won't bother collecting it on disc". Pirated anime is the same, but legal streaming is pulling from the exact same audience which buys UK releases to support the industry, and it's actively undermining it when the discs aren't up to snuff. There are still a few thousand people in the community who absolutely refuse to stream anything at all and preorder mangled DVD-only box sets for the price of a single cinema ticket, but it's clear even from posts on this forum that people are starting to question the wisdom of maintaining the status quo.

Japan's anime home video releases have always existed in a collector's market (outside of kiddy shows) since it's assumed that many fans will see the content on television, online or in cinemas first. To convince them to pay to have their own copy, studios tempt fans with extra on-disc content, beautiful video quality and flawless presentation. Nobody can afford to collect every show so the market is constantly racing to increase the perceived value of each release to win over the lucrative otaku buyers. This is a great deal for hardcore fans, as they get to see each series in the best quality possible. The trade-off is they can only collect a tiny number of shows compared to someone in the UK on the same budget, but as they've already watched everything they wanted to on television or online streaming sites that's not a big deal. There are plenty of shows in UK fans' collections that they would probably never have purchased if they had seen them first.

What Anime Limited and the US-based companies are doing is catering for the hardcore audience as a big experiment. If it turns out that you're right, these premium releases will fail and everyone will switch back to the old model - wait 2-3 years for a release, get it in a barebones set with content missing and feel comforted that you only paid a tenner for a few hours of enjoyment. Personally speaking, when I really get into a show I want everything I can get. Japanese staff and voice actor extras? A soundtrack? Design sketches? Yes please! And needless to say, I want a thoroughly quality-checked disc with glitch-free video and a clear audio track which is professionally subtitled.

The Anime Limited model hasn't supplanted the cheap one in any way, so I don't understand why people who prefer cheap sets feel so threatened by it. There will be a standard release eventually for a fraction of the £120 it costs to buy the first version, and then a few years down the line once it's made all of its money back and faded from the spotlight you will almost certainly get a S.A.V.E.-style release for some titles if the market will support them. The companies want to make as much money as they can out of each license so there's no reason they will avoid the potential for more mainstream success if it's a title that can be profitable that way too.

Given the usual turnaround times we've had in the UK historically, you're not losing anything by waiting other than being made to feel jealous as the richer fans play with the premium edition a few years early.

(Britguy said everything I did in a fraction of the time since I started typing, but I'm posting it anyway ;_; )

R

Back