UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Like I said it took a while. It's more obvious now I know it's there but it's really the kind of thing you'd see if you were actively looking for it. Were I to watch this without being aware of the issues I wouldn't have noticed that.
You need to observe that I have shown a still from a movie with changing lighting conditions during a scene. The color bands moves around, as a part of the movie.

A re-release should be better than the previous one, not critically worse.

Looked at the comparison and I honestly think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. Took me a while to see the difference. Seems a bit of an overreaction to call it "outrageous" and "shameful".

I think part of the issue is less that there’s a ‘difference’, but the lack of improvement or fix.
I do have the opinion that such as banding is less a problem (in most anime) than other potential issues with detail or artefacts. But it would be nice to think that encoding was improving in terms of both technology and the simple knowledge of how / where / why certain issues occur.
If you pay close attention to the wooden area on the right, you will see details loss. This is not just ugly banding that moves around during the movie, there's less details, wrong colours, and poor compression as a whole.

This is Violet Evergarden again, but I presume since it does not affect the english AL customers, you don't see or feel there's an issue. Maybe you do need to get a coauthered boxset done by AL FR in the future and get a taste of the wrongs and feel the reason to support this complaint.

You need to observe that I have shown a still from a movie with changing lighting conditions during a scene. The color bands moves around, as a part of the movie.
If this is as you say then perhaps it would've be better to post a link to a video to get your point across better. The average viewer also likely won't notice issues like detail loss, wrong colours and whatever compression is unless it's actually major enough to affect the experience.

It's also pretty rude to wish a poor product on someone but I may as well entertain you I guess. Like I've said I'm not denying that there's issues but based on that image alone and what you've described it sounds like an overreaction. I've already watched Blu-rays known to have issues and my general reaction every time was "is that it?". Unless there's something seriously wrong and by that I mean something that will actively ruin the experience then the average customer just won't notice.

"Look, there are numerous complaint on the internet, video reviews of french boxset that shows sufficient evidence but let's pretend this is not real and ask for yet more evidence."

I don't wish a poor product for anyone, this is exactly why I am complaining here and trying to get attention from AL staff. I do wish they fix their QC. But since you don't believe me or video reviews and others are minimizing the issue, you don't leave me a choice but to suggest you to actually "try" one of these releases.

I don't think you would enjoy missing subtitles on Gunbuster, for example. I certainly don't.

"Look, there are numerous complaint on the internet, video reviews of french boxset that shows sufficient evidence but let's pretend this is not real and ask for yet more evidence."

I don't wish a poor product for anyone, this is exactly why I am complaining here and trying to get attention from AL staff. I do wish they fix their QC. But since you don't believe me or video reviews and others are minimizing the issue, you don't leave me a choice but to suggest you to actually "try" one of these releases.

I don't think you would enjoy missing subtitles on Gunbuster, for example. I certainly don't.
I'm sure there are complaints in the French speaking community but as I'm an English speaker on a British-based forum with a very poor understanding of the French language your posts are the only thing I've seen on the subject. I'm not going to go out of my way to watch reviews in a language I don't fully understand.

That said I also believe you fully when you say that there are issues but in the case of The Garden of Words it really isn't what I'd call outrageous. Annoying for sure but I think you need to focus your energy on bigger issues like this Gunbuster problem you're talking about. I'm not saying it's not worth complaining about but your initial post just seems silly when you compare the tone with the problem.

I only asked for a video as I cannot fully understand the issue from just a screenshot. Were you to provide such a clip it would convey your problem better.

The Italian Dynit BD screenshot that I posted on the previous page doesn't have any of the banding artifacts on the left wall, green t-shirt and chair as seen on the French BDs. I've added the Italian screenshot to the comparison: GoW | Slowpoke Pics
Looking at that, both the Kaze and Anime Limited have severe banding on the right guys back and chair. With the Kaze bluray outright redrawing the guys face..

How is the Kaze Bluray any better @SpaceDandy ? Literally looks like hes got a stairway on his back lol

While the Anime Limited one looks like the path to the wizard of oz

Only good one is the Dynit one

The Kaze screenshot is not from the same frame. His cheek is moving as he talks.
Explains that 😹 I always assumed those click to see the comparison shots were of the same frame.

I do wonder how easy it is to spot these things in usual viewing as I usually find things differ quite a bit between dedicated bluray players and using software like VLC Bluray playback. Some seem to work better than others

and the color difference between a Proart Q PC monitor and normal Samsung TV. I dont even need to be fussy about this as the color is completely different

The banding on that Anime Limited release is actually pretty awful, but only because I bothered looking for it. Normally I dont look for things like this and would rather just watch the show for the art/story... not to see if someone has a staircase on their back like the Kaze Bluray

I just decided to pause the youtube video I was watching to see if it had banding issues, and yep, sure does. But even after listing to this for the ?? time over the last few years, its never something I've really noticed before, and not something I would want to look out for as I feel like it would take away from the enjoyment of the show

Thats just my 2 cents anyway

Explains that 😹 I always assumed those click to see the comparison shots were of the same frame.

I do wonder how easy it is to spot these things in usual viewing as I usually find things differ quite a bit between dedicated bluray players and using software like VLC Bluray playback. Some seem to work better than others

and the color difference between a Proart Q PC monitor and normal Samsung TV. I dont even need to be fussy about this as the color is completely different
You're mising the point. The disc must deliver a faithful representation of what the artists worked on. Then you are free to use whatever terrible playback software or monitor and have it messes with it. You are also free to care and use the appropriate equipement. The main point is, a release shouldn't hinder the second possibility by being flawed.

The banding on that Anime Limited release is actually pretty awful, but only because I bothered looking for it. Normally I dont look for things like this and would rather just watch the show for the art/story... not to see if someone has a staircase on their back like the Kaze Bluray
Quite a flex you're doing here.

I just decided to pause the youtube video I was watching to see if it had banding issues, and yep, sure does. But even after listing to this for the ?? time over the last few years, its never something I've really noticed before, and not something I would want to look out for as I feel like it would take away from the enjoyment of the show
You do realise you had to check for banding on a low bitrate medium with , and say it compares to what we observe on a highbitrate one? Shrug moment.

When it comes to banding issues on anime Blu-rays, the milestone to be measured by is the first Cyber City Oedo 808 Blu-ray. Worse than that, or better than that?

I'm a tolerant guy, and give disappointing discs passes when the experience of watching the show outweighs the experience of watching the disc. You got to remember, I grew up watching my favourite movies on pan and scan VHS on 21" CRT TVs, so I have a high tolerance...

But Cyber City Oedo 808 got me writing an e-mail to complain.

A recent tweet suggests that IN/SPECTRE is now low in stock in case anyone else is on the fence about getting it now or waiting for the Xmas sale.
Uh... Where did this information come from? On their Twitter account?
By the way, until when are the promotions? I guess I won't make it in time :/

I'd been procrastinating over Silver Spoon for a couple of years. Low stock alert finally prompted me into action.

That is such a good series, glad you are getting yourself a copy. The series reminds me so much of the Dairy Farm area I live in here in Lancaster PA. Some of my relatives had dairy farms we used to visit all the time when I was growing up, and I loved watching the milking of the cows in the barn and the milk truck come to collect all the milk out of the big storage vat. I chomped on the molasses-based cow feed, played in the corn crib, and climbed all over the tractors and harvesting equiment in the storage sheds. I even got chased by the unfriendly goose down by the farm pond and got zapped by the electric fences around the pastures, lol.

There is an anime limited survey that you can still fill out until midnight tonight. I got a link/reminder in my email his morning, so if you are interested then give it a look.

This is the first time in years I just didn't get anything in a big Anime Limited sale. Partly because I couldn't think of anything to go with the buy-one-get-one-free deal with Revolutionary Girl Utena.

Back