UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Will deffo get Princess Jellyfist, be a triple dip. Had the Kaze discs, which were so crap I imported the Funimation LE. Alas I could only play the DVDs as the BDs were Region A locked.

I'll definitely go for all 3 BD Collector's Edition sets. And regarding Junk Head, the Early Bird commences the day before I'm going to watch it at my local arts centre.

I may eventually get the House of the Lost on the Cape CE during the Christmas sale, but that's it from the May slate. I have the US standard release but I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, so it depends how much I like it. Princess Jellyfish I had owned the Funimation Limited Edition box set but sold it off many years ago; I just didn't care for the series. Too much of that panic yelling in it that I guess is supposed to be funny but isn't.

BD-cases but A4 artbook? So this artbook will be not put inside of this box? How it works?

This is explained in the product description:

"This Ultimate Edition release also features an individually bundled standalone materials archive book of approximately 136 pages"

So this is something we're experimenting with, where the art book is effectively a standalone entity, bundled with the rest of the package that sits on your shelf in a normal-sized slipcase. If anyone remembers the bonus Kiznaiver book we did, something more akin to that. We're open to feedback on people's preferences for this kind of thing though!

I mean the prices are outrageous and I feel kind of bad that it looks like they are just relying on uninformed people buying from them.

MHA S1-3 £44 on Amazon vs £112 from AL.

I'm not sure if there is such a thing as "ethical" pricing but this certainly does not feel right.

I do feel the need to chime in on this, as I realise that (understandably) a lot of people don't understand how retail supply chains work! As anime doesn't grow on trees (yet - working on that for our Grow Your Own Anime Ultimate Edition ;) ) we have to purchase stock, so the price that we can sell for is heavily reliant on that rate. You then have to factor in fulfilment, shipping costs, and (shock, horror) a small profit margin to make the whole operation viable.

All of our prices are based on sustainable rates for us running this as a going concern, and we're well aware of how this compares to other retailers. But to our eyes it offers an alternative, a trusted one-stop shop for anime purchases, and benefits for Anime (Un)Limited subscribers. It isn't mandatory for folks to purchase from us, but I'm personally passionate about giving people the option, and if we can also make our pricing more competitive in the future then I'm all for it, but for now this is us working realistically within the factors outlined above.

"This Ultimate Edition release also features an individually bundled standalone materials archive book of approximately 136 pages"

So this is something we're experimenting with, where the art book is effectively a standalone entity, bundled with the rest of the package that sits on your shelf in a normal-sized slipcase. If anyone remembers the bonus Kiznaiver book we did, something more akin to that. We're open to feedback on people's preferences for this kind of thing though!
That doesn’t completely explain.
I’m interpreting the reply as being that being that an order would include two individually shrink wrapped items; the disc box, and the book (dropped into a parcel individually).
Without that reply (or even still with); they could be boxed together (even in a plain box), shrinkwrapped together, tied together with a ribbon, stuck back-to-back with glue dots…

Thanks for stopping by @Hanners it means a lot that you interact with us here.

For me personally a large art box that can sit on display is the most important factor for a UE. Escaflowne is my favourite or your UEs because the art box is so nice. It's something I get to appreciate every day (books dont come off the shelf all that often). It's the reason I didn't buy Eureka 7 or Wolfs rain until they were discounted. Having said that the Eureka 7 artbook is by far my favourite art book you've done. (I'm not counting FMA in any of this as it's a special case and a perfect product)

With the more recent style I really liked Pefect Blue. B The beginning being top loading instead of side loading made it very difficult to get the book in and out and honestly Blood C being a slip cover rather than a proper chipboard case is most disappointed I've ever been in an AL product. I do not trust it to last with such a weighty book in it and I was really excited to get it.

Are you aware of the style Selecta Vision in Spain uses? They're super nice products with an A4 chipboard art box that opens like a book with the contents inside. I have their Akame Ga Kill, Record of Lodoss War and Your Lie in April sets with Haruhi Suzumiya on the way. If AL were able to move towards these kind of things I'd super happy.

Screenshot_20230502_141457_Chrome.jpg

Sorry for the essay but those are just my thoughts (good and bad) on the subject.

That doesn’t completely explain.
I’m interpreting the reply as being that being that an order would include two individually shrink wrapped items; the disc box, and the book (dropped into a parcel individually).
Without that reply (or even still with); they could be boxed together (even in a plain box), shrinkwrapped together, tied together with a ribbon, stuck back-to-back with glue dots…

Yes, it's two individual items - the disc box, and the book, not "attached" in any way. :)

Oh wow, I adore this. 😍

As you might be able to tell, I'm also a fan of the nice outerbox that contains everything.
Yeah they're super nice sets. These are the 3 of their UEs I already have. The back of the box is a single art piece with no text which is how I have the facing on the self. They're so nice!

Spanish collectors edition of Record of Lodoss War. Never seen it before but it was a decent price. Has Japanese, original Spanish dub, new Spanish dub and Catalan. Oddly the subtitles are Spanish or Portuguese. Didnt realise it was gona be in such a big box but sure looks like a nice set.
View attachment 17292

Persona 5 parts 1 and 2 and the Spanish collectors editions of Akame Ga Kill. Already have the UK sets but this large box with large 160 book was something I really wantedView attachment 18546

More pics of AGK
Box open, large sticker, book and amary in card slipcase
View attachment 18547

9 large art cardsView attachment 18548

Size of art cards book and amaray for scale
View attachment 18549

Anime from Spain today. Really nice sets. HW and HBS have quite in depth booklets with interviews and info. HW also comes with the soundtrack CD. YLIA is pretty special. Has a special manga, large booklet, sticker sheet and loads of large art cards. As usual with this style of collectors the back of the box has a nice piece of display art on it.

View attachment 21005

Has anyone else who is international recieved their AL order in this type of box? I just recived my spring sale order and it came in this crushed box which lead to some crushing of corners and denting of the art boxes. (Nothing worthy of returning just annyoing) It did have bubble wrap but only 1 layer and the bubbles were facing the inside not the outside, usually they wrap them in ad least 2 layers of bubble wrap from my experience. There also wasn't any other protection inside the box unlike my pervious orders which have filled dead space with extra protection.

Kind of disappointing as AL usually provide great protection for international orders but I guess this was shipped with Royal Mail and not Fedex like all my other orders which also makes me concerned for future orders.
Box.png

Has anyone else who is international recieved their AL order in this type of box? I just recived my spring sale order and it came in this crushed box which lead to some crushing of corners and denting of the art boxes. (Nothing worthy of returning just annyoing) It did have bubble wrap but only 1 layer and the bubbles were facing the inside not the outside, usually they wrap them in ad least 2 layers of bubble wrap from my experience. There also wasn't any other protection inside the box unlike my pervious orders which have filled dead space with extra protection.

Kind of disappointing as AL usually provide great protection for international orders but I guess this was shipped with Royal Mail and not Fedex like all my other orders which also makes me concerned for future orders.
View attachment 29096
I’m used to moderately durable boxes from AL (when not the carrier branded ones), so I’d immediately say that appears noticeably flimsier than expected.
I don’t however tend to see multiple layers of bubble wrap; just one sheet for each bunch of items. Dead space tends to be filled with air pillows regardless (which always end up deflated with FedEx, so I don’t know if that means they’re working or if FedEx needs something better)

Back