UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Regarding the next Gundam news going to be announced as mentioned in their last blog entry, I get the feeling AL will announce this or something else.

Gundam Cucuruz Doan's Island Blu-ray is going to be release same time as theatrical screenings (same as Hathaway's Flash).
View attachment 24460
Outside of the guaranteed Seed Destiny home video announcement we might see G Gundam, Gundam X, Build Fighters S1, 08th MS Team or 0080 War in the Pocket.

I'm not sure about Victory or AGE coming this year.

We surely won't be get a physical release of Cucuruz Doan's Island before any screenings here?

I would have thought that War in the Pocket or 08th MS Team would be next up but I've been saying that as a while so...

@anime_andrew does the cost of the bbfc ever stop you from releasing a show do you think they will ever lower the price ? thanks

I'm not Andrew but I can't envisage the BBFC ever lowering their price. Why would they? If anything, it's more likely to rise proportionally with, er, everything else.

I confess I don't understand what Crunchyroll do and do not own, but if you guys could get Eizouken and Vladlove out in physical form that'd be great!

Just to quote myself, I don't think I need to justify Eizouken but I'm surprised how little of a splash that Vladlove made at time of broadcast. The first series directed by Mamoru Oshii since Gosenzo-sama Banbanzai! in 1989, it's a return to the comedy from that series as well as his more famous Urusei Yatsura and his collaborator on that series, Junji Nishimura, joins him here as well. Now, you don't expect Oshii post-Angel's Egg/Patlabor/Ghost in the Shell/Kerberos Saga to be returning to comedy with a vampire yuri series but that he did. I don't think it's near the same level as his masterpieces but I thought it was a genuinely funny abstraction of modern anime stereotypes/tropes from a director who is clearly a few generations removed from it. And it's visually beautiful, stylish, distinctly Oshii. Love it, hate it, I think it deserved more discussion either way and I'd love a release that considered it in the context of Oshii's career.

[Speaking of context, it looks like Ghost in the Shell (and Ghost in the Shell 2) are the only works by Oshii currently in print in the UK which seems like a situation that needs to be rectified. I suppose there are limited options - The Sky Crawlers looks to be OOP but it was available from Manga for years for cheap, Angel's Egg would be the ideal but it appears to be impossible, Urusei Yatsura is hella long, it seems like there aren't any HD masters for Gosenzo-sama Banbanzai! or Twilight Q, and we discussed Patlabor here a few years ago and I know Andrew was concerned that there was a small market for them here due to previous releases but....I really do think there needs to be a release of the Patlabor films for the UK market. There was probably more buzz about their recent screenings at the BFI season than pretty much any other film in the season. The US editions, while cheap and pretty good, can be bettered.]

To the surprise of absolutely no one, it looks like CCS has been delayed yet again lol now listed as the 4th of July on Anime-on-Line which is how we usually find out things are delayed now days. Seems JJK has also been delayed until the 6th of June.

Last mile here on CCS - there's an updated date to our website shortly but it's just work on the discs! Covered it before but there is a LOT of content to go through there (70 episodes would usually be a 5 or 6 part release in current cour format).

We're obviously not keen on delaying it any here either but it's the correct call so hope folks understand! Left it close to the line to confirm it as we'd hoped things would have moved a bit faster.

Andrew

[Speaking of context, it looks like Ghost in the Shell (and Ghost in the Shell 2) are the only works by Oshii currently in print in the UK which seems like a situation that needs to be rectified. I suppose there are limited options - The Sky Crawlers looks to be OOP but it was available from Manga for years for cheap, Angel's Egg would be the ideal but it appears to be impossible, Urusei Yatsura is hella long, it seems like there aren't any HD masters for Gosenzo-sama Banbanzai! or Twilight Q, and we discussed Patlabor here a few years ago and I know Andrew was concerned that there was a small market for them here due to previous releases but....I really do think there needs to be a release of the Patlabor films for the UK market. There was probably more buzz about their recent screenings at the BFI season than pretty much any other film in the season. The US editions, while cheap and pretty good, can be bettered.]

I know he didn't direct it but you can get Jin-Roh which he wrote in the UK on BD :) But yes I generally agree with you, I like plenty of modern anime, but Oshii is an interesting director and I'd love to see Angel's Egg, Urusei Yatsura Movie 2: Beautiful Dreamer, The Sky Crawlers (I think they guffed up the video on the Manga Entertainment release pretty badly anyway I'd happily double dip for that reason alone) and Twilight Q released here, though I can't guarantee I'd go for the Patlabor films as I already have Patlabor Ultimate from Sentai, however I'd be a lot keener if they got nice CEs and both dubs for each were included as IIRC correctly the US release only has one of the dubs for each film? (I'm referring to films 1 & 2 BTW, 3 was decent but not worth double dipping on by itself IMO) :)

I know he didn't direct it but you can get Jin-Roh which he wrote in the UK on BD :) But yes I generally agree with you, I like plenty of modern anime, but Oshii is an interesting director and I'd love to see Angel's Egg, Urusei Yatsura Movie 2: Beautiful Dreamer, The Sky Crawlers (I think they guffed up the video on the Manga Entertainment release pretty badly anyway I'd happily double dip for that reason alone) and Twilight Q released here, though I can't guarantee I'd go for the Patlabor films as I already have Patlabor Ultimate from Sentai, however I'd be a lot keener if they got nice CEs and both dubs for each were included as IIRC correctly the US release only has one of the dubs for each film? (I'm referring to films 1 & 2 BTW, 3 was decent but not worth double dipping on by itself IMO) :)

The encodes could be improved upon but the biggest issue with the US release of the Patlabor movies is that the Japanese audio is the 5.1 'sound renewal' tracks that are complete re-recordings with different special effects and music placements. As I understand it, the Japanese Blu-Rays also have the original tracks in LPCM 2.0. In an ideal world, they'd be getting 4K restorations and UHD releases but in lieu of that I think that AL could do a terrific job of a release that takes account of the issues mentioned and packaging it up nicely a la the Korean release

618_shop2_529152.jpg
14615601_655557657958652_2107860991220466196_o_zpsuksnssle.jpg

But yes, any Oshii, all Oshii, please, thank you, apologies for any thread derailment.

@anime_andrew does the cost of the bbfc ever stop you from releasing a show do you think they will ever lower the price ? thanks

Not especially :). Usually if it wasn't going to recoup the cost of BBFC + other costs, it probably didn't have enough demand in the UK to start with really. Sometimes it does dictate the format for the release somewhat or the price point of the set if required though.

Andrew

There are indeed, it's just a bit of a slow pace there on it! You've not seen the last of that series from us though :).

AP
Great to hear and thank you for the reply! Not sure if you can clarify or not at this stage but would subsequent releases also be different encodes from the Viz releases?

@anime_andrew

I've seen people ask about Yuru Camp and A Place Further Than the Universe, but I'm guessing as there's no US release it would be more difficult to release especially as there from a less popular genre.

Although you did release Amanchu! which seems similar and as far as I can tell is the only version, still haven't got round to watching it yet!

Definitely not impossible there, I am a HUGE fan of Atsuko Ishizuka's original works so it'd be a dream come true to work on A Place Further than the Universe (or Goodbye Donglees! for that matter...). Yuru Camp is an adorable work too - a little bit tougher to license for a few reasons but if the opportunity presented itself I definitely would do it.

Cross fingers and stay tuned...

Andrew

Great to hear and thank you for the reply! Not sure if you can clarify or not at this stage but would subsequent releases also be different encodes from the Viz releases?
Happy to clarify - we'd continue with the same style / format as the first release of it on our side. So it'd be different encodes (hope that's okay for folks!)

Andrew

Regarding the next Gundam news going to be announced as mentioned in their last blog entry, I get the feeling AL will announce this or something else.

Gundam Cucuruz Doan's Island Blu-ray is going to be release same time as theatrical screenings (same as Hathaway's Flash).

I'm actually not entirely clear with what the plan is for Cucuruz Doan's Island just now for outside of Japan here. When we do we'll definitely let people know (if we're doing something for it) - as a fan I am pretty hyped for it too...!

With the rise of SD-BD thanks to Discotek will you folks start diving into the world of SD-BDs by releasing a handful of notable SD-BD titles like Sorcerer Hunters, Kodocha, Marmalade Boy and many others.

If the BBFC issues doesn't become a big issue

SD-BD is definitely an area we're looking into - not sure what our first title will be there but I have a few options in mind there...

Andrew

I thought it would probably be something like that, but happy to hear it confirmed!

29,300 words is just slightly more than I've used begging you to release it over the years 😜

Hah! Happy to deliver it to you :D. We seem to be leading the way on volume of UHD releases just now too - which is fun, zero surprises but we have several more coming beyond BELLE and Future Boy Conan this year to look forward to as well.

And hey, that's just under 29,300 words that weren't wasted in the end with the release coming up :D.

I confess I don't understand what Crunchyroll do and do not own, but if you guys could get Eizouken and Vladlove out in physical form that'd be great!

Never say never there...nothing to say just at this moment though alas.

Andrew

Hi Andrew, just couple of quick questions...

1. Are you still working on Kakegurui season 2?

2. Since you have licensed titles released by Discotek, is there any chance of you licensing Black Rock Shooter?

Thanks.

Happy to clarify - we'd continue with the same style / format as the first release of it on our side. So it'd be different encodes (hope that's okay for folks!)

Andrew
I can only speak for myself but I liked the format for the first set, that and the Viz releases reportedly have frame skipping issues so having a different encode would be welcome.

Last edited:
Back