UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Don't overthink it. The US/UK sets have 6 discs (if you ignore the 5 dupes for the ADV dub). Five are for the show and one for the two movies, with all of the extras spread across those 6 discs. The German edition uses 7 (with only the historial dub). Four for the show, one for the two movies and two for all of the bonuses. The video issue of the german set is not really about the number of disc being too low, just some bad decision while encoding bonus interlaced footage.

Last edited:
I can't say I'm glad to hear I'm the only one having issues with FedEx. Just over a week since my "next day" delivery was sent, and it's been at the local office all this week. Grrr,

Don't overthink it. The US/UK sets have 6 discs (if you ignore the 5 dupes for the ADV dub). Five are for the show and one for the two movies on another, with all of the extras spread across those 6 discs. The German edition uses 7 (with only the historial dub). Four for the show, one for the two movies and two for all of the bonuses. The video issue of the german set is not really about the number of disc being too low, just some bad decision while encoding bonus interlaced footage.
I didn't get that @Magical Senshi was implying that the low disc count was to blame for the problems.

But here's a funny thing about the German discs. There are no chapter stops. One press of the "skip" button and bang, you end up at the credits. And I mean the credits after the Rei theme. There was a lot of sloppiness here.
The UK discs should not have this problem. At least, I don't think that was the case with my CE.

LEONINE generally does not chapters the episodes of their series. With their belief that NTSC and PAL are still a thing, they are evidently stuck in the VHS era, where the FF/RW buttons are your only life jacket.

I was also referring to the differing disc count, due to the packaging issues, and because of the lower disc count on the German release, isn't the packaging slightly altered from the UK/US/AU release?

If so, then I'll have to wait and see how the UK/US/AU release fares. And yes, I've decided to go ahead with my pre-order and hope for the best.

There is a new statement from the German publisher on Facebook. Maybe some of you are interested in it, as it mentions the UK/US publishers AL and GKIDS.

Dear Community,
Thank you for your patience. We take your feedback very seriously and have thoroughly examined all feedback received (direct messages, comments, e-mails, reviews) on the NEON GENESIS EVANGELION LIMITED COLLECTOR'S EDITION. In the following we would like to give you detailed feedback and hope to be able to answer your questions. We would like to point out at the outset that complex technical issues are involved which may require more in-depth knowledge of audio and video technology. Please read the following information carefully and, if necessary, contact us exclusively via the e-mail address set up for this purpose [email protected].

👉Complaint Disc 6 Asset "Episode:25' Air" regarding faulty encoding and unstable frame rate.
The encoding and the source "Episode:25' Air" (hereinafter also referred to as asset) was viewed in detail by our technical service provider and subjected to various inspection processes. The delivered video material is unfortunately not ideal (however, it is the only existing source material of this asset), as it was delivered as 29.97i + 29.97 telecine (with partly changing cadence) material with various double or triple frames. This means that the source material already contains double or triple frames, which already leads to judder in the source, which can be perceived to varying degrees depending on the playback chain. Due to the standard conversion of the sequence necessary for publication in Europe (i.e. a different frame rate), already existing jerkiness may be additionally amplified depending on the playback chain.
Due to complaints from customers/buyers of the Blu-ray release, the source file was additionally converted again on a test basis with different codecs and checked by a technician and the quality check team in the test studio under ideal conditions. The asset or individual scenes were viewed and compared with different setups alternating with the existing or published encoding - the result was that the new encodings did not improve the user experience.
In addition, it was examined why the jerking that was complained about occurs more strongly with "Episode:25' Air" than with "Episode:26' My pure heart for you". As a result, the source of episode 26' has a continuous cadence and does not contain any real interlaced. Despite the conversion to 23.976p that was also carried out, the effect of jerkiness is therefore less noticeable in episode:26'.
The source files used for all assets are the only officially permitted materials that may be used worldwide for the purpose of a DVD and Blu-ray release. The Japanese licensor has assured us several times that this is the best possible existing material.
Finally, it should be noted that the complaint about the Japanese release is only less conspicuous because the release or disc authoring corresponds to the technical TV standard NTSC customary there (note: which is why a conversion of the frame rate for the offending asset episode:25' is not necessary). The licence agreement stipulates that the authoring of the German disc masters is to be implemented in accordance with the established specifications of the European region (in simple terms: not NTSC).

👉Complaint Disc 6 Audio format AC3
All extras on disc are in AC3 (Dolby Digital) by default on our anime releases - regardless of whether it's a standalone extras disc or the extras are integrated on the main disc in addition to the main film or episodes. We will take your feedback as an opportunity to handle this differently from the standard for highlight releases in the future, if necessary.

👉 Complaint Discs fall out of the media holder
As many of you know, our packaging concept was designed in cooperation with the UK/US publisher. The packaging concept in laserdisc format is intended to honour the retro character of the series and envisages dispensing with classic plastic trays to give the packaging a high-quality feel. We can understand your annoyance with the discs falling out and would like to take this opportunity to apologise for any complications. The disc holder is not optimal, we want to admit that openly and honestly. We have therefore decided not to use such a disc holder in the future. In this case, a great deal of dexterity is required to place the disc neatly on the foam rubber-like holder. After some assembly tests, we can give you the tip to first carefully place the disc with the ring hole on the holder. By then continuously rotating the disc and exerting slight pressure on it, you can fix it firmly on the holder.

👉Complaint (fallen out) Discs are scratched and playability is impaired.
As optical storage media, DVDs and Blu-rays are subject to environmental influences that can impair playability - this naturally includes scratches. It should be noted that not every scratch affects playability. Should one or more of your discs be so badly damaged that playability is no longer guaranteed, we will of course offer you an exchange of the disc(s). Please send the disc(s) in question including a short description of the defect (e.g. disc cannot be played because it is scratched) + the desired shipping address for the replacement disc(s) (no packing stations) to the following postal address:

LEONINE Distribution
Anime - NGE Complaint
Taunusstr. 21
80807 Munich

Important: There is no time limit for the complaint. So if you find out in weeks or months that there are playback problems, you can still complain then. We will check all submissions for playability and if the disc(s) are playable, we will return the disc(s) to you. We ask you to refrain from asking questions during the check, as this prolongs the processing time. As a rule, you should receive your replacement disc(s) within 10 working days.

👉Complaint Disc holder falls off or is stuck on incorrectly
We were able to verify the complaint in individual cases within the scope of random checks and would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused. The manufacturer is currently investigating why the adhesive strength of some brackets is so weak. We recommend that you fix any holders that may have fallen off in the appropriate place with a strong adhesive. If one or more disc holders have been positioned so incorrectly that it is not possible to insert the disc at all, please submit a complaint, including a photo, by e-mail to [email protected].

👉 Complaint Artcard creased, box dented, booklet page torn, or similar.
If individual components of the edition show clear defects, we ask you to start a complaint including a photo by e-mail [email protected]. We will do our best to enable you to exchange individual components as quickly as possible.

We hope that our detailed answers have provided some clarity. We would also like to thank you for your constructive and objective criticism. It is and always has been our aim to bring a product of the best possible quality to the market. We will do our best to process your complaints quickly and promptly and to find a solution to your satisfaction.

Best regards
Your LEONINE Anime Team
With all these horror stories about the media holders on the German version of the Evangelion UE not holding the media, damaging the discs or falling apart, honestly I'm dreading the release of the UK version at this point. I know we've been talking among ourselves about this, but has anyone emailed Anime Limited to ask if they're aware of these problems? @anime_andrew checks in here from time to time, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's up to his eyeballs with the sale and all the new announcements at the moment.

Personally I'd prefer it if they delay the release for a while and have the media holders remanufactured with a different solution. A plastic frame would be ideal, but even the much-maligned cardboard pockets option would be better than something that can't hold the discs properly at all. If the UK version has the same problems as the German one, surely AL will end up having to deal with a lot of returns if they ship them out as they are.

With all these horror stories about the media holders on the German version of the Evangelion UE not holding the media, damaging the discs or falling apart, honestly I'm dreading the release of the UK version at this point. I know we've been talking among ourselves about this, but has anyone emailed Anime Limited to ask if they're aware of these problems? @anime_andrew checks in here from time to time, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's up to his eyeballs with the sale and all the new announcements at the moment.

Personally I'd prefer it if they delay the release for a while and have the media holders remanufactured with a different solution. A plastic frame would be ideal, but even the much-maligned cardboard pockets option would be better than something that can't hold the discs properly at all. If the UK version has the same problems as the German one, surely AL will end up having to deal with a lot of returns if they ship them out as they are.

In my cancellation email for the UE, I did specifically mention that the reports I'd heard about issues with other versions such as the recent German and US releases were why I was cancelling (I did also say I no longer felt comfortable spending this much money on this release but I meant that only because of the reported quality issues - otherwise I would have been perfectly happy to fork out that much), so hopefully that clued them in if they weren't already aware, I didn't go into specifics about what the reported quality issues were though :)

Turn A Gundam is in the BOGOF sale and ya'll should buy it.
View attachment 22111

I'm curious to know how old is older according to this show lol XP

Also, just wanna add I ordered the standard edition of NGE from Amazon and it arrived in I think two days, I haven't rewatched all of it yet as I only really enjoy NGE subbed and am also rewatching Marmalade Boy dubbed atm but I'd def say it's worth getting the BD even if u have Netflix as the picture quality is far better, both my HDTVs are only 32 inch so I can't comment on image issues in great depth but it does look utterly beautiful on my TV :)

I'm still incredibly unimpressed regarding the complete silence of the AL right up to the sets release. I can understand wanting further information or access to the physical sets before making a definitive call, but maintaining deliberate radio silence isn't exactly a move that inspires either confidence or trust that activity is being carried out behind the scenes. Maybe Andrew's too distracted pondering his orb...
Yeah I've got to agree there. As much as I think they've been a great company thus far I can't help but feel a little bitter about the radio silence. If it was a regular set that was about £50-£60 I wouldn't get too worked up about it and just let it slide but I feel like it's a bit of a slap in the face for something of this price point. Worst of all my excitement for this set has waned quite considerably. I love Eva and want to have the best set available. Now I'm worried that even if I get the set in good condition it'll fall apart months down the line. As someone else said I've went from looking forward to it to kind of dreading it to be honest.

I also understand the fact they probably want to see the sets for themselves first but it really doesn't hurt to put out an email or twitter message acknowledging the issues and reassuring people they'll be sorted. The fact they haven't done that is a little disconcerting to me.

I'm far from the kind of person who complains about everything (as anyone will know who follows me on Twitter- I try my best at all times to be in the positive part of fandom) however this lack of transparency is really beginning to leave a bad taste in my mouth.

I'm not going to hastily rush to cancel my pre-order because I'm holding out hope there is some kind of fix planned. I really love the look of the laserdisc style art cards and the book looks fantastic. However I also feel the whole thing's sullied a bit if you have to put your discs in other packaging or buy another edition to avoid potential damage to your discs.

Going to be watching AL's Twitter like a hawk this week and checking back on this thread every day.

I'm honestly expecting a solution. The fact they haven't said anything doesn't mean they won't do anything.
Oh yeah, me too. Just a shame it's after these issues rather than notifying us there was a fault ahead of time and trying to temper expectations. Oh well, not long to wait now to see what they say. Let's hope they can make some better revised packaging (I imagine it'll cost too much though) otherwise after replacing the discs this will probably happen again further down the line.

Fingers crossed.

Back