UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Probably because their business model wants everyone on their streaming service. An accessible dub on a physical copy? You can watch that whenever you want, robbing them of money they could maybe make.

Funny you should say that...but while can't tour everything of course but alongside the online element we're also branching outwards to engage people who can't make the distance as best we can this year!

Stay tuned for more info in due course there - it'll no doubt not be what everyone wants in terms of venues or precise line-up (because balancing that vs commercial and licensing realities are unlikely to match every desire), but it's a starting point to grow from going forwards :).

Andrew
Sounds great, looking forward to finding out what else you guys have in store. I don't think I could forgive myself if I didn't capitalise on a chance to see EoE on the big screen!
I know there was some discussion in the discord about this (on whether or not EoE cinematic run would go ahead) but AL have just liked a couple of tweets asking for EoE to get a UK wide cinematic release 👀
That would blow my mind! Oh I do hope that comes to pass.

Netflix has been charging absurd amounts for a lot of their dubs; so much that it's significantly cheaper to just do another dub of your own instead.
I thought the process was any material (ie dub) created for a series automatically becomes the property of the original licence holder.
Granted this was a long time ago so things could've changed and I can see Netflix being awkward when it comes to handing over the material. Especially if said company has gone through the Japanese licence holder instead of sub licensing through Netflix 🤷‍♂️
Again I don't know the inner workings I just find it interesting.

There are probably some strict limitations I reckon with any detail that goes through involving Netflix even if they don't own the licence. Stuff like complete exclusivity for a set period, to ensure the content is only on their platform.

The situation with Kakegurui is disappointing as the potential implications for the UK release are hard to ignore. I won't deny that there are good business reasons if the UK version goes the way of the Sentai release, but I also cannot deny that if it does, it will absolutely damage my interest in it. I will be paying attention when it does reappear, and if it does have a feature parity with the Sentai release then I will wait for heavy discounts, after all, that Sentai release will be dirt cheap at some point.

There's also a possibility that Sentai may have not even bothered to make an attempt to get the Netflix dub for Kakegurui after their attempt with Baki. They might have assumed that if one show's dub is expensive then the others are as well.

I'm not saying that the Kakegurui dub is cheap, but Baki is a pretty big IP for Netflix compared to others so I would not be surprised if Kakegurui would be at least cheaper than Baki for dub costs.
Any particular reason to think that?

Because to me, it looks like AL licensed Kakegurui planning on using the Netflix dub, but the extreme delay for a release makes me think they had trouble getting it. Either it's taking this long to negotiate a workable price, or AL gave up on releasing the Netflix dub and just was waiting for Sentai's to be done.

Any particular reason to think that?

Because to me, it looks like AL licensed Kakegurui planning on using the Netflix dub, but the extreme delay for a release makes me think they had trouble getting it. Either it's taking this long to negotiate a workable price, or AL gave up on releasing the Netflix dub and just was waiting for Sentai's to be done.
Sentai aren't very open on their re-dubbing decisions since a lot of the Netflix cost stuff is down to speculation or confirmation for specific shows only. Kakegurui is also 3 years old (4 years in Japan) and we don't know if Netflix cares that much about their catalog more so than their newer 'Original' projects or better performing streaming titles like Baki and BEASTARS. Worth noting that not every Netflix title has gotten re-dubbed as 7SEEDS [Dec 2020 + May 2021], Cagaster of an Insect Cage [March 2021] and SWORDGAI [June 2021] still have them (the former of which was dubbed by their own studio so that helped them in that instance).

As Anime Ltd likes to save the news until the product is done, we also don't know the details on Anime Ltd's handling of the release other than the fact that it's a collector's edition. There's always a chance that there were other hold-ups like approval issues with the collector's edition booklet or any assets that's gotten in the way. During the Cloud Matsuri panel their estimation was Q3 2021 for release which could have easily slipped into Q4 or next year due to COVID.

Not saying you're wrong to assume they are waiting for Sentai's disc. If they do, then that's fair on them for trying (on the plus side, it would mean the subtitle translation will probably be better).

If End of Evangelion does get a cinema release I hope it goes through CineWorld or Empire. My area doesn't have a Vue or Showcase so there's rarely any anime films. I get it's a niche market but hopefully Evangelion's popularity warrants a wider release

If End of Evangelion does get a cinema release I hope it goes through CineWorld or Empire. My area doesn't have a Vue or Showcase so there's rarely any anime films. I get it's a niche market but hopefully Evangelion's popularity warrants a wider release
It was announced to get a theatrical UK release alongside Death(true)2 last year so it might come later. Maybe they want to save it for Halloween or something (why be scared of ghouls and ghosts when you have the End of Evangelion to give people nightmares heh).

Cinema choices really come down to the chains themselves deciding to support a film as opposed to a conscious choice from ourselves there as a heads up! We'd rather every chain be involved as there are some stronger in areas than others (for example, all the way through my Edinburgh Uni life, the Cineworld was my defacto chain cinema while the Filmhouse was my usual!)

It also doesn't mean they don't want to if they don't show it - sometimes schedules don't line up etc too alas.

Andrew

On the one hand End of Eva on the big screen would be amazing to witness, definitely would go, but I can't deny that I wonder how the audience would be with that one. I've seen a lot of anime at the cinema and its always been packed and a great time, so I'm sure it would be okay. When I first watched Eva all those years ago, I watched it with untainted eyes, without this sense of it being a meme or whatever, it was such a different time, Eva to me was so earnest and thoughtful but people treat it like a bit of a joke these days. I remember when komm susser tod was an actual beautiful piece of music to me, its treated a bit goofy these days.

Also, big shout out to @anime_andrew and the crew there at Anime Limited, they've had an incredible impact on anime in the UK, the cinema scene has changed drastically over the years, my local has always showed Ghibli stuff but there's a lot of variety now. Hopefully Leeds film festival is decent this year...

EDIT: wtf there's a ojamajo doremi film

Last edited:
Back