UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

My thoughts exactly :) I'm not even massively into Gundam but those were great films (not that I actively dislike Gundam but I have not seen much of it and watching all of it is not something I'd do).
For me personally I prefer the movie trilogy specifically because it cleans up the story a bit to make it flow a bit better over the previous episodic format. While it has some rough cuts at the start, things like the concept of new types for example are introduced and explored more naturally and earlier on in the movies while in the series it's just dropped at the end out of nowhere.

Char: "This is Lalah, she's a new type"
Me: A what now?

Same here. It's been a while.
Yeah after the last few months where I've wanted to pre-order almost every new upcoming release, my wallet finally gets a break phew..
On that topic I've been really enjoying Eureka Seven so far but I see online that the hi-evolution movies don't have that great of a reputation. Just thought I would ask what the verdict is around here?
As you can see opinion is somewhat divided. My intro to Eureka Seven was via the Hi evolution movies on screenanime (I wish they'd done the bloody series first rather than at the end of screenanime's run heh).

I had an overall poor opinion of the first hi-evolution as well, except for the prequel first half an hour, but am very keen to re-watch it at some point based on @WMD's recent very logical recommendation in another post, as it did very much come across as requiring familiarity with the TV series. It is the focus movie for Renton, as is the case with each of the 3 movies focusing on three main characters in turn. However, I loved Anemone despite its shortcomings & my having only a grasp of the story at the time. That had a fantastic story of its own, and as @NormanicGrav mentioned and as per the AUKN review (I think it was @Arbalest's), it really blows open the story/lore possibilities, making the final upcoming Eureka movie a very exciting one to look forward to! Also keep in mind the AO series, which is okay I think but nothing special - @WMD , what did you make of AO?

In summary, ignoring the ramble, I would recommend:
1. watching the original series whole first,
2. maybe AO after and
3. personally I would definitely recommend watching both hi-evo movies, even if just for the prequel part in the first.

The Gundam 0079 trilogy wants a word :p
Haha. The series is excellent and dont get me wrong the 3rd film with new content is excellent. But I did not enjoy the first 2 films. For me they butchered the series. Which is how I essentially feel about every compilation film I've ever seen bar Hi Evo 1 which it actually did something interesting for me. Basically I would rewatch Hi Evo 1 but I'll never rewatch the first 2 Gundam films.
I had an overall poor opinion of the first hi-evolution as well, except for the prequel first half an hour, but am very keen to re-watch it at some point based on @WMD's recent very logical recommendation in another post, as it did very much come across as requiring familiarity with the TV series.
That's a good point. I would always tell someone to watch the series first, leave it some time to forget the specifics and then watch Hi Evo 1. As an introduction to the franchise Hi Evo 1 would be a confusing mess.

Also keep in mind the AO series, which is okay I think but nothing special - @WMD , what did you make of AO?
I enjoyed it. Heres what I originally said about it (and as you can see I didnt miss an opportunity to double down on Hi Evo 1):
Eureka 7 AO
Although it doesnt quite live up to the original show this sequel is nonetheless a good show. An interesting theme running through it (especially given current political day and age) whereby characters repeatedly double down on their position regardless of any evidence to the contrary. It can be a little frustrating at times but ultimately the shows ending redeems any flaws that were present earlier.

Having now watched all the current shows and films in the franchise I have to say I really like how E7 is willing to embrace weird and crazy stories. It makes the whole franchise so much more interesting. Amd I'm happy to say again that Hi Evo 1 is the best compilation film I've ever seen.

Yeah after the last few months where I've wanted to pre-order almost every new upcoming release, my wallet finally gets a break phew..

As you can see opinion is somewhat divided. My intro to Eureka Seven was via the Hi evolution movies on screenanime (I wish they'd done the bloody series first rather than at the end of screenanime's run heh).

I had an overall poor opinion of the first hi-evolution as well, except for the prequel first half an hour, but am very keen to re-watch it at some point based on @WMD's recent very logical recommendation in another post, as it did very much come across as requiring familiarity with the TV series. It is the focus movie for Renton, as is the case with each of the 3 movies focusing on three main characters in turn. However, I loved Anemone despite its shortcomings & my having only a grasp of the story at the time. That had a fantastic story of its own, and as @NormanicGrav mentioned and as per the AUKN review (I think it was @Arbalest's), it really blows open the story/lore possibilities, making the final upcoming Eureka movie a very exciting one to look forward to! Also keep in mind the AO series, which is okay I think but nothing special - @WMD , what did you make of AO?

In summary, ignoring the ramble, I would recommend:
1. watching the original series whole first,
2. maybe AO after and
3. personally I would definitely recommend watching both hi-evo movies, even if just for the prequel part in the first.

I'd agree with this. Hi-Evo 1 can be left after the first 20-30 minutes mind you, but Anemone is definitely worth a watch regardly because of what it does differently, and how open it makes things for Eureka. The new film trailer went out a month or so ago now, which shows it as more action oriented, but still light on the story aspect. So really curious what this looks like as it's due autumn time now, think it was delayed?(needless to say, i'll be looking forward to reviewing that one too!)

It's a shame that it doesn't advance upon the extras of the old disc, but the main selling point of the new 4K UHD release of Your Name is worthwhile. It's a gorgeous presentation. I was skeptical beforehand and the HDR quite subtle, as you'd expect from an SDR-HDR conversion, but the whole image has more detail and depth than the previous 1080 iteration

Bring on more UHD. What's next?

Damn them! they've given me what I wanted - Seed in the normal collectors box and at a decent price.... except it's months too soon! I have bills bills and bills (and I'll have to get the membership when I get Seed as I've been waiting to bite the bullet). Damn them... (clicks preorder)

@WMD I'm of the same opinion on AO, it's not bad and interesting in its own way, but does pale in comparison to the original. I was fooled into watching it expecting a fair bit more of Eureka & Renton than there actually was heh, but glad I did regardless, though won't be rushing back to watch again anytime soon.

The new film trailer went out a month or so ago now, which shows it as more action oriented, but still light on the story aspect. So really curious what this looks like as it's due autumn time now, think it was delayed?(needless to say, i'll be looking forward to reviewing that one too!)
Yeah, another one delayed due to covid but I too am very much looking forward to eventually watching it (along with the UK releases of the final Eva & Heaven's Feel forming a trilogy trinity for me heh). I thought the initial teaser, and even subsequent trailer, hinted at quite something towards the story (though I'm almost certainly interpreting it in the way I want it to pan out heh) but no doubt it seemed action-heavy. Here's hoping they can nail it and looking forward to your review too!

Bring on more UHD. What's next?
I presume Violet Evergarden the Movie will likely be the next UHD title when the home video happens next year (I would say this year but since Japan delayed their release to October, reverse importation would obviously delay everyone else).

Other than that, maybe Gundam? I recall hearing the HDR being good for the 0079 Movie Trilogy.

I presume Violet Evergarden the Movie will likely be the next UHD title when the home video happens next year (I would say this year but since Japan delayed their release to October, reverse importation would obviously delay everyone else).

Other than that, maybe Gundam? I recall hearing the HDR being good for the 0079 Movie Trilogy.

I really hope that AL do have plans to port the 0079 Movie Trilogy (and Char's Counterattack) UHD, from what I hear they look terrific.

I really hope that AL do have plans to port the 0079 Movie Trilogy (and Char's Counterattack) UHD, from what I hear they look terrific.
I'm still bummed about the giant black border we were forced to have for CCA. I would get a UHD version if it fixed that at the very least.

It fixes it. I think windowboxing came from the bygone era where widescreen aspect ratios were protected for 4:3 TVs, so it's an ancient and now unnecessary practice.

Yeah I believe it was the first anime screened in Dolby Vision, which is pretty cool! At least in Japan, idk if our cinemas are doing it.

Back