UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Figured they'd follow up on Violet Evergarden, faster than I thought but then it was delayed a bit so this might have been in the pipeline for a bit longer.
But a new Psycho Pass? Sign me up, especially when it's been made to match previous releases. At this point S1 is the one that feels out of place, though unless I'm wrong that's because that was the only one not released by Anime Limited right?
For those familiar with Sinners of the System, it's three films according to what I can find but are those more like long OVAs or actual 3 full length films?

i get the feeling that Evangelion will probably go up for pre-order in July/August and release in October because the first airing date of the series is October 4th and it just so happens to be a Monday this year

If they do plan to release PP3 it would make sense to get this out of the way first, as I assume PP3 builds from it or at least some of it.
i think it's something like the 3 movies basically give some backstory to some of the newer characters and also act as a what these older characters have been up to since PP1/PP2 while they've been out of the light

I'm definitely getting Eternity and the Auto-Memory Doll, and I might upgrade my US Penguindrum DVDs. How do AL usually handle posters (folded or rolled)?

I notice on CD Japan that the Japanese blu-ray for the other Violet Evergarden movie isn't out there until August, so I guess we'll have a looooong wait for a UK release of that one.
Folded in normal format but in the Eureka Seven UE it comes rolled.

Do we know if these are the same discs as the CE? Apparently, the subtitles for that version were not good.
They're the same, but that reviewer is being very nit-picky about the subtitles. Characters are frequently referred to by name, and title where relevant, in dialogue so there's no problem keeping track of who's who; we're not talking Shin Godzilla levels of bureaucratic complexity here.

As for the size and clarity, I've watched the set twice and never found them distracting. Here's an example against a mostly white background, so that's the worst-case scenario. They're fine.

IMAG0161.jpg

I would love if every AL self authored release used the Violet Evergarden Subtitles template going forward, those are absolutely spot on! (maybe that's just me though)

They're the same, but that reviewer is being very nit-picky about the subtitles.

From the review:
Also, this is one of those titles that cannot do sign and subtitles simultaneously, and it will usually opt for translating dialogue over onscreen text (with the exception of the end of episode 3, where we get the ‘To Be Continued’ translated instead of Kumiko’s final line - it’s the same line in each episode so it isn’t much of a hassle). More of a hassle comes from some of the early episodes where the band members have meetings. There is a whole lot of Japanese on-screen text at this point, delivering character names and roles in the band, and none of this is translated for English audiences.

Personally, I think leaving onscreen text completely untranslated is a few levels above "nit-picky" criticism. AL literally did a replacement scheme in the past for similar issues with Durarara, IIRC.

I will have to wait for a sale where they will hopefully do much cheaper prices and then I will get Gundam 0083 and both parts of Turn A :) (sorry for not buying them now but I'm saving monies for Penguindrum and Violet Evergarden first movie!) Grateful for any deals AL do and I know it was hard for them to get discounts on Gundam series and perhaps still is but yeah I can't afford this rn sadly. Also tempted by Iron Blooded Orphans - I've heard the main issue with that one is that the second season repeats on the first noticeably rather than doing much new in terms of storytelling? But it's supposed to be good anyway. Thanks again for the deal on Sound Euphonium I'm super happy I'm gonna have that one in my collection now (never seen it but heard a lot of great stuff about it) :)

Gundam SEED is encoded with incorrect RGB levels. You should set Blu-ray player RGB level to Full when watching this BD (under normal circumstances it should be set to Limited). The SDBD discs don't have this issue.

UK / corrected US BD
U2dowtO.png

JP BD
Mt4pShX.png

Last edited:
Great.
That's not an option on my set (Sony X800M2).

This is a disappointment when these discs were already recalled and delayed half a year ago due to errors. And in such an expensive set too.

They're the same, but that reviewer is being very nit-picky about the subtitles. Characters are frequently referred to by name, and title where relevant, in dialogue so there's no problem keeping track of who's who; we're not talking Shin Godzilla levels of bureaucratic complexity here.
Thanks.

I'm of the opinion that subtitles should be as unobtrusive as possible while still being readable (death to yellow), and those seem okay to me.

But I regard the translation of on-screen text as a kind of bare minimum to be expected from a professional commercial anime release. Having said that, if these discs have been authored by software that can only display one line of subtitles at a time, on-screen translations appearing while dialogue is being subtitled would cause the dialogue subtitle to "blink" off and on again. Had that joy on my Anthem of the Heart disc. Thankfully, these issues don't seem to have affected any recent discs.

I might get it anyway as it's cheap and I like Kyoto Animation.

Back