UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Anyone got an email from the Post Office saying they have a package coming. The only things I'm waiting on are a figure which I'm pretty sure is still in Japan and Planetes!
There's been a lot of phishing emails from Royal Mail & Hermes going around, always click on the sender for the full address and if its [email protected] or something like that then spam it!

There's been a lot of phishing emails from Royal Mail & Hermes going around, always click on the sender for the full address and if its [email protected] or something like that then spam it!
Seems legit [email protected]
Link to Royal Mail website as well. Tracked 48 so deffo AL. Only other thing I can think of is if they sent me someone else's Christmas stuff 🤷‍♂️
No dispatch email from AL, but that's nothing new. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Currently watching Cyber City Oedo for my Friday night binge and really felt the need to post that @Scavenger was right. This is a pretty terrible disc even for someone as forgiving as me, forget DVD upscale this looks VHS. Well I might as well keep watching though.
I watched the first ep last night.. i found most of it looked really nice but in the dark areas there was some nastiness going on most of the time. The worst bit was banding round the tower, the dark night sky faded off in to a pale colour and the screen seems to flick to all the night sky suddenly becoming the same pale colour... I looked back at my CPM DVD and that issue isn’t there although some others were. Sad that a better job wasn’t done.

Sorry off topic but which ones would you recommend? I enquired about multi region players at richer sounds pre-covid and just got blank looks back...
I got this one, I didn’t want to pay a fortune. Working great so far.. not sure if anyone knows a better one. I’m not sure if anyone knows one that u can I unlock the region on your self. The Region b version of this is actually only £90 and they sell it for £200 Multi Region but I didnt wanna go through all the hassle and wasn’t sure what they do to it to make it so u can just press a button. Presume it is some added software but not that clued up on it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07VYJYXFR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Alos it was available through Amazon Prime for quick delivery too.

Sorry off topic but which ones would you recommend? I enquired about multi region players at richer sounds pre-covid and just got blank looks back...
That one by Dan above looks good.

Another potential and free option. Do you happen to have a PS3 you no longer use? If so, it’s now incredibly easy to make it multi-regional through installing a custom OS and program. It enables a new menu option where you can simply change the region at any time and an unlimited amount. No cost or absolutely no prior knowledge of doing anything like this before is needed. It only takes about 30 mins to set up once, all done online and you only need a USB stick. There’s two great step-by-step guides on YouTube covering how to do this with the latest firmware. Doing this does break the terms of service, so bear that in mind, e.g. probably safest to not sign into PSN once this is done. However if the PS3 is laying around doing nothing and you just want to use it as a multi-regional Blu-Ray player, this should work well.

Obviously off-topic for this thread, so feel free to PM me if you want more info or links to those YouTube guides.

The Region b version of this is actually only £90
Yeah I saw those on Amazon and tried to get it from the high street only to work out that no manufacturer officially makes them heh (whilst I sing my version of Lennon: "Imagine having only one region!")

Another potential and free option. Do you happen to have a PS3 you no longer use? If so, it’s now incredibly easy to make it multi-regional through installing a custom OS and program.
That was another plan I had instead to use my old PS3. I thought you could change regions a handful of times without any modifications to the os? I'll PM you as I have a habit of going off topic...

That one by Dan above looks good.

Another potential and free option. Do you happen to have a PS3 you no longer use? If so, it’s now incredibly easy to make it multi-regional through installing a custom OS and program. It enables a new menu option where you can simply change the region at any time and an unlimited amount. No cost or absolutely no prior knowledge of doing anything like this before is needed. It only takes about 30 mins to set up once, all done online and you only need a USB stick. There’s two great step-by-step guides on YouTube covering how to do this with the latest firmware. Doing this does break the terms of service, so bear that in mind, e.g. probably safest to not sign into PSN once this is done. However if the PS3 is laying around doing nothing and you just want to use it as a multi-regional Blu-Ray player, this should work well.

Obviously off-topic for this thread, so feel free to PM me if you want more info or links to those YouTube guides.
Damn it I literally have a ps3 in my front room above my new multi region Blu-ray player and in all honesty it is the better of the 2. It remembers where u are on most discs and comes back on where u left it and when changing audio it’s really quick on my ps3 but slow on the blu-ray player (was using this to check the cyber city oedo scores) Presume the software install would retain these feature. I would add I’ve no idea if it’s the sound system that I use that causes that delay but it doesn’t have the same issue with the PS3 🤷‍♂️

Edit: I think the sound issue could be the HDMI cable, just swapped it with another and im sure it’s quicker... will buy a new one. It does say to use a high speed one but it has one in the box

Last edited:
Damn it I literally have a ps3 in my front room above my new multi region Blu-ray player and in all honesty it is the better of the 2. It remembers where u are on most discs and comes back on where u left it and when changing audio it’s really quick on my ps3 but slow on the blu-ray player (was using this to check the cyber city oedo scores) Presume the software install would retain these feature. I would add I’ve no idea if it’s the sound system that I use that causes that delay but it doesn’t have the same issue with the PS3 🤷‍♂️

Edit: I think the sound issue could be the HDMI cable, just swapped it with another and im sure it’s quicker... will buy a new one. It does say to use a high speed one but it has one in the box
Good to hear, re: it being better with the new HDMI. Yep; hopefully an even better one will be the fix you need!

But yes, I expect the PS3 would retain all of those features as normal. A few people have now PM’d me about the links, advice etc. So, if you ever want to, please feel free to as well.

The Region b version of this is actually only £90 and they sell it for £200 Multi Region but I didnt wanna go through all the hassle and wasn’t sure what they do to it to make it so u can just press a button. Presume it is some added software but not that clued up on it.
AFAIK it's a hardware mod, so it's not something you can do yourself unless you're handy with a soldering iron.

Momotaro, Sacred Sailors is at a special offer price of £14.99 until tomorrow. My thoughts on the film from the simulwatch:

Well if there was ever a film with a visual language that was laser-cut to its objective, it's Momotaro: Sacred Sailors (aka Momotaro's Divine Sea Warriors, which is how I remember it in the days before its restoration and Western release). The history of film is intertwined with its use for propaganda, with some of it's most effective techniques such as montage being the product of a cinematic arms race to use it to persuade an audience to a viewpoint rather than merely entertain. The Second World War was perhaps the Golden Age of Propaganda, with all sides using film to their own ends. Animation was a particularly popular medium for propaganda, with Disney producing dozens and dozens of hours of propaganda films, perhaps most famously the Donald Duck-starring Der Fuehrer's Face which won the Oscar for Best Animated Short.

Japan's animation industry was certainly not what it is today, and certainly had nothing to compare to Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck or Bugs Bunny. What Japan did have was its folklore, and it used the image of Momotaro, a boy who was born from a peach and fought alongside animals against demons. In 1936, several years before Japan would attack Pearl Harbor, Momotaro fought a demon who was unmistakably modelled on Mickey Mouse - undoubtedly Japan defending itself against an attacking, demonic United States.

Following the success of Momotaro's Sea Eagles in 1943, director Mitsuyo Seo was allowed to make a sequel - this time slightly longer, which gives it the distinction of being the first feature length animated film made in Japan. In Momotaro: Sacred Sailors, the primary is not America but rather the British. The animation is undoubtedly influenced by Disney and Ub Iwerks, but is probably more similar to the work they were doing in the mid-late 20s than contemporaneously during the war. Fantasia, arguably Disney's crowning achievement, was screened in Japan during wartime. Mitsuyo Seo definitely saw it, as did Yasujiro Ozu who famously said "Watching Fantasia made me suspect that we were going to lose the war. These guys look like trouble, I thought." If you compare Fantasia, with it's visual and aural spectacle, made to entertain but also a stunning artistic achievement, to Momotaro: Sacred Sailors, with its black-and-white rink-a-dink animation, it's obvious how wide the gap is. Fantasia is the product of a country with money to burn and minds fresh and inventive - if either/both of these were distracted enough from putting Mussorgsky to Chernabog to concentrate on defeating Japan, what chance would Japan have? We all know the outcome.

However, Momotaro has the entire Japanese animation industry as its legacy and I don't think anyone would seriously argue that it hasn't closed the artistic gap with its American equivalent in the interceding years.

Momotaro, Sacred Sailors is not a great film. It's not even a good one. But it is a piece of history and AL did a terrific job of the release, pairing it with a book by Jonathan Clements that gives a nice overview of director Mitsuyo Seo. I'd love them to do similar for Hakujaden and other notable early anime films.

Back