UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Unfortunately, I think the BBFC kills the chances of anything over 50+ episodes getting released. Makes the chances of older and longer shows (ala Fist of the north star) almost impossible to get a release in the UK.

I'd be very surprised if AL released any of those, primarily due to length. Unless I'm forgetting something, they tend to only stretch to 50 episodes for Gundam, with the rest of their TV catalogue being in the 12-26 episode range. I couldn't see them releasing a show with 100-200 episodes.
City Hunter and Kimagure Orange Road both have their film/OVA counterparts BBFC'd already so that's one part of the issue resolved already. In addition, AL have tackled 30+ episode shows before (outside of Gundam there's Cardcaptor Sakura [70 eps], Revolutionary Girl Utena [39 eps], and Twin Star Exorcists [50 eps]) so I reckon they can go for others as long as the Blu-ray disc count isn't drastic.

Unfortunately, I think the BBFC kills the chances of anything over 50+ episodes getting released. Makes the chances of older and longer shows (ala Fist of the north star) almost impossible to get a release in the UK.
if it helps to bring the series over here i wouldn't oppose to a kickstarter thing sorta like how funimation did with Escaflowne but thinking back on that it makes me laugh that funi did that
if they did jashin on a kickstarter, you bet your ass i'd be top tiering that

With Anime Limited already having the rights to Lupin the 3rd Part 5, The First, and The Woman Called Fujiko Mine (unless Andrew's slip of the tongue wasn't accurate :p), hopefully they yield enough numbers to show demand for some of the older titles, like some of the older Lupin the 3rd films and TV specials (although, Discotek's releases are pretty affordable for those with a Region A player). Part I (23 episodes) would be nice to see too - although maybe worth holding off to see if Discotek announce an SD-on-BD re-release. I can see Part II's episode count being a non-starter though.

Obv, if we're speculating about Anime Limited acquiring titles released by Discotek... I'd totally double-dip on a Region B Symphogear :p

I could see AL releasing Kaiba - that and Kemonozume are the only (pre-2018) works missing from their Masaaki Yuasa collection.

Barefoot Gen is another Discotek release that needs a UK equivalent

Obv, if we're speculating about Anime Limited acquiring titles released by Discotek... I'd totally double-dip on a Region B Symphogear :p
Considering Crunchyroll has the rights to the Symphogear franchise and the whole Sony buying CR thing, chances are a UK release would only happen under Manga Ent. at the pace its going.

With Anime Limited already having the rights to Lupin the 3rd Part 5, The First, and The Woman Called Fujiko Mine (unless Andrew's slip of the tongue wasn't accurate :p), hopefully they yield enough numbers to show demand for some of the older titles, like some of the older Lupin the 3rd films and TV specials (although, Discotek's releases are pretty affordable for those with a Region A player). Part I (23 episodes) would be nice to see too - although maybe worth holding off to see if Discotek announce an SD-on-BD re-release. I can see Part II's episode count being a non-starter though.

If Discotek were to release Part 1 on BD, they probably wouldn't want to do an SD-BD. The main reason why Part 1 was released only on DVD was because of the bad Blu-ray remaster, but since then the superior HDTV remaster from the mid 2000s has resurfaced on various VOD services. The HDTV remaster only uses the first opening and is missing the episode previews, but that could be fixed by using BD remaster footage.

If Discotek were to release Part 1 on BD, they probably wouldn't want to do an SD-BD. The main reason why Part 1 was released only on DVD was because of the bad Blu-ray remaster, but since then the superior HDTV remaster from the mid 2000s has resurfaced on various VOD services. The HDTV remaster only uses the first opening and is missing the episode previews, but that could be fixed by using BD remaster footage.
Ah, didn't know that Part 1 had a competent HD remaster. Neato. Either way, I'd imagine Anime Limited would hold back and see if Discotek re-release it on Blu-ray in some form.

That's probably because it still doesn't have release date or a preorder launch date. And just by the fact we're on the 25th, I'm guessing that the "January 2021 (To be announced)" on AL's site will change some time soon, hopefully along with an announcement of the release date.

Huh, strange, my copy of Millennium Actress doesn't have the back slip glued on, has this happened to anyone else before?
It's quite common for the back slips to not be glued down, over the past year I'd say it's been more rare for slips to have glue dots on them than not. Well, that's just my personal experience anyway.

It's quite common for the back slips to not be glued down, over the past year I'd say it's been more rare for slips to have glue dots on them than not. Well, that's just my personal experience anyway.
Huh, fair enough, this is my first where it's not been glued down!

I don't know much on this, how does the BBFC interfere with this?

Huh, fair enough, this is my first where it's not been glued down!

The BBFC charges a very high rate to certify materials at a per minute charge. IIRC this charge applies to all language tracks meaning each episode will need to be certified twice. With longer series the drop off in sales in later collections makes their releases untenable.

You have to have everything checked by the BBFC to apply one of their age ratings, which is a legal requirement of all home media releases in the UK. This means they have to watch every single episode, movie, bonus feature, etc. And this also costs money, so the more episodes, bonuses, etc, the more expensive.

Back