UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

My Turn A Gundam part 1 arrived today from Amazon but on back of box, on bottom left corner, a small strip of the art is damaged and there are small creases in a small area of the box
It's not a big deal but am a bit disappointed this happened to mine.

No gay stuff. Cos manga said so. But AL side I think they wont get ReZero, and maybe not the Konosuba movie and Sentai I think could kill there CR stuff so Food Wars, Haikyu etc. I think this first wave so Bookworm which AL has will go ahead but the rest such as World Trigger I doubt it. Basically AL and MVM are screwed for new stuff. (Which you CAN see with AL esp going after older Mid 2000s stuff and films)

I been wondering now that Sony has bought out Crunchyroll and is part of the Funimation group what will this mean for UK licenses going forward do you think?
From first glance I believe the two distributors/companies need to sort out some paperwork before it is completed, so there's enough time to acquire the remainder of a anime franchise before it is too late (Anime Limited for instance may be able to get Konosuba the Movie in time). When Crunchyroll and Funimation ended their partnership, the two still kept the consistency going with the shows that had continuations so I would like to think the same could be done with Anime Limited, Discotek Media and Sentai.

Now of course the chances of that being the ideal scenario is probably not happening. One scenario I did think about was Sony treating Crunchyroll as its own distributor division brand, like Sony Pictures Home Entertainment and Sony Pictures Classics so that the Crunchyroll titles would be released under Crunchyroll while Funimation titles would be released under Funimation.

In terms of the UK itself, well Manga will now have access to Crunchyroll and Funimation, pretty much killing the competition. Since they mainly prefer to place emphasis on big titles and shonen, 95% of the catalogue will likely not come over to the UK.

Hope Mangauk ends up releasing way more titles on blu-ray than they currently do, would be really bad if the Sony Crunchyroll thing ends up preventing releases from AL and MVM without Mangauk increasing their output to cover those titles.

Now of course the chances of that being the ideal scenario is probably not happening. One scenario I did think about was Sony treating Crunchyroll as its own distributor division brand, like Sony Pictures Home Entertainment and Sony Pictures Classics so that the Crunchyroll titles would be released under Crunchyroll while Funimation titles would be released under Funimation.
On that thought both Aniplex and Funimation are treated seperately as well depsite being owned by Sony. I do hope this is the case

That's what I'm very worried about. If they just hold titles to hoar them for their streaming services and release a small amount of them to the UK, whereas before the titles could have at least been licenced by others for home distribution.

One scenario I did think about was Sony treating Crunchyroll as its own distributor division brand, like Sony Pictures Home Entertainment and Sony Pictures Classics so that the Crunchyroll titles would be released under Crunchyroll while Funimation titles would be released under Funimation.

In terms of the UK itself, well Manga will now have access to Crunchyroll and Funimation, pretty much killing the competition. Since they mainly prefer to place emphasis on big titles and shonen, 95% of the catalogue will likely not come over to the UK.
I think this is a likely scenario, since I think Sony know the value of a brand. For the UK, I think licensing from AL and MVM won't be impossible, maybe just more complicated. Maybe I'm just guessing and wildly wrong but I don't think just because FUNimation licenses something means that everything defaults to Manga, there's still potential for stuff to be picked up by others as seen with Iron Blooded Orphans and a handful of other FUNi titles that AL still have the rights to even now their partnership is done.

Open to anyone correcting me on this, as I'm purely speculating.

Back