UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

I doubt that was Crunchyroll's intention here as they've likely just had a lot of trouble since the Funimation partnership ended. Their partnership with Sentai is certainly promising and Discotek has already released one of their co-productions so it's not like they want to be digital only.

Even Netflix doesn't seem intent on being digital only as several of their originals have seen a home video release through various companies.

I see. I might be able to hold out hope for Tower of God and now Fly Me To The Moon leaving their platform for physical releases too.

I know about Death and Rebirth's various edits, but are there multiple cuts of End of Evangelion too?

Quoted from an older post of mine in this thread:
I mean, if you wanted to go to town with things, there's the original on-air and subsequent Renewal versions of all episodes, as well as the interim Director's Cut versions of episodes 21 to 24. Then there's three edits of Death [Death, Death(true) and Death(true)²]. Then you've got Rebirth, which differs from the equivalent part of EoE, and also there are two versions of EoE: the theatrical version and the lesser-known "video version".
I've learnt most of this from reading various entries on Evageeks.org's wiki. It's very in-depth.

Example page:

I think Anno and Khara don't want you to watch say the original 21 for example they would have included them on the JP BD otherwise wouldn't they. And there is no way they remaster the old versions as well and if they are hard to get in JP I don't think we will get them here. Khara are controlling hence why I still dont think we will get the original dub hopefully the original subs I think is as far as they will go.

I think Anno and Khara don't want you to watch say the original 21 for example they would have included them on the JP BD otherwise wouldn't they. And there is no way they remaster the old versions as well and if they are hard to get in JP I don't think we will get them here. Khara are controlling hence why I still dont think we will get the original dub hopefully the original subs I think is as far as they will go.

Whether they allow them to be released here (or there's even a will to do so from AL/ GKids) is another matter, but they released the Archives of Evangelion DVD set on the same day as the Blu-Ray set so they're not actively suppressing alternative versions.

Evangelion sounds like a mess honestly the more I hear. Like the creators got a big head from their success and keep retconning stuff to fit a latest vision they think up.

Evangelion sounds like a mess honestly the more I hear. Like the creators got a big head from their success and keep retconning stuff to fit a latest vision they think up.
I think it was almost the opposite. The fandom got so entitled and outraged that in their own way they were trying to fix it and please the fans. More recent examples like star wars show how difficult and thankless a task that is.

For me the series ends in a really positive note and I love it. But you can feel how jaded and beat down Anno is by End of Eva and it feels far more cynical and to me gives the show the complete opposite ending the series originally did.

For me the series ends in a really positive note and I love it. But you can feel how jaded and beat down Anno is by End of Eva and it feels far more cynical and to me gives the show the complete opposite ending the series originally did.
Yeah Anno was dealing with depression at the time so it's no surprise the series gradually got more cynical. I wouldn't really say any additions to the franchise count as retcons. This has always been a personal project for Anno to express himself and it only makes sense he'd want to finish his work or explore it in a different way.

Yeah Anno was dealing with depression at the time so it's no surprise the series gradually got more cynical. I wouldn't really say any additions to the franchise count as retcons. This has always been a personal project for Anno to express himself and it only makes sense he'd want to finish his work or explore it in a different way.
I can only imagine how the stress of production and the fans reactions only compounded that into something much worse.

Yeah 3.33’s response was so awful I can see why it took another 9 years for the final film. Shin Godzilla seemed like a lot of fun for him and if that helps improve 3.0 + 1.0 so be it. But I do hope we get it in cinemas as only time I will get to see Anno end Evangelion (as it seems forever now) and want the best format for that.

I think it was almost the opposite. The fandom got so entitled and outraged that in their own way they were trying to fix it and please the fans. More recent examples like star wars show how difficult and thankless a task that is.

Ahh as a big proponent of creators freedom I'm legit upset to hear this.

I think that it's widely accepted that End of Evangelion is parallel to the ending of the original broadcast series / is a different perspective and neither supersedes or replaces the other. There's no 'retconning'. While a lot has been said about how End of Evangelion came into being, I don't think it's a coincidence that releasing recap and 'ending' theatrical features mirrors Evangelion's most obvious creative influence in Space Runaway Ideon. End of Eva is more bitter and twisted than Tomino's Ideon: Be Invoked, but there are thematic similaries

A SD BD would be nice but I doubt it

I share your pessimism but it would be the ideal scenario.

Will support a legal sinners of system stream.
wonder which perfect blue version is being used
Also HF II live tweeting is gonna be wild...
Not sure about Perfect Blue. For Millennium Actress they said it's the new transfer (though the website only supports 1080p so isnt in full 4k

Back