UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Its people like CR wanting streaming rights so they are usually bundled with video so they get WW english streaming and therefore WW English home video. Its why America doesn't have Netflix stuff licensed no company really just wants the Home video license.

I do wonder if AL will be able to license Evangelion TV now cos it is available western streaming but I assume AL would want both EN tracks and I bet that will be controversial with Kara

I think that sometimes they will not predict how big the interest and the problem will be. But! Let's look at Sentai. They also did not foresee that there will be a lot of interest in the limited box for No Game No Life. What did they do? They created extra copies to take care for fans. Something like that is sometimes missing from Anime Limited.

Not really a collector's item if they just made more whenever it pleased them.

Also its expensive to produce these items, and it isn't really fesible in the UK to do giant print runs of everything. In this case they made a very specific amount of boxes, and distributed them between themselves and zavvi. Thats why people rushed to order them because they wanted the box. People would of just left it for when the replacement part 1 discs come otherwise.

It's sad that a limited item you ordered unfortunately got lost, but thats sometimes the unfortunate factor of life.

I don't really think ALs to blame if a limited good you successfully ordered gets lost in the mail.

Trying to push the blame on this to AL seems kinda silly.
In France, distributors usually keep some limited copies aside for those unlucky buyers that have their items damaged or lost. Pretty sure MVM and Manga do the same? But AL is so great :^)))

So yes, that's ****** management from AL, just selling & no proper customer care. Kind of like Warner.
And like, if they've still got 4-5 in their hands a few months after it sold out, they could still use them as special stock for events.

I think that sometimes they will not predict how big the interest and the problem will be. But! Let's look at Sentai. They also did not foresee that there will be a lot of interest in the limited box for No Game No Life. What did they do? They created extra copies to take care for fans. Something like that is sometimes missing from Anime Limited.
Wasn't the number of copies known? (Not sure if official or unofficial, at least the 500+500 number is something I've heard.) In Germany there was a LE box, which was said to be limited to 2000 or something and sold out while on pre-order a good while ahead of release. (Like so much ahead they actually had time to still change the production schedule.) The publisher was considering printing extras, so they openly asked on Facebook (with a survey I think). There was some backlash for even considering the idea iirc, because limited should stay limited and printing extra copies would make it less limited. So in the end they didn't reprint afair.

Hi everyone - I need your help!

I've decided to grasp the nettle, open a can of worms and ask for your video quality thoughts with a view towards improving the quality of future UK-authored releases, so I'm looking for some feedback. To keep this thread clean and pure (yeah, right!), I've dropped it into its own forum thread here, so have at it!
Just hire either mp3dom, Justin Sevakis, David MacKenzie or all 3 and you’ll never get complaints on the topic again.

What have I done...

It’s been a stressful day for me with all 3 flights I’ve had to catch today be delayed and having had no food and water for 16 hours doesn’t help.

I’m an a$$hole. I am. Always have been. And it’s thanks to my pathetic self having taken the internal stress and take it all out on @Hanners disrespectfully that we’ll probably get French authored releases mostly from now on.

You can blame this all on me. I’m not asking for an apology, nor do I expect anyone to forgive me, I’m just saying that I am sorry now that I am calm and peaceful after a long day. You can ban me if you wish.

Last edited:
I am a little bit upset with you @Professor Who, but I'm also a little bit upset with @Hanners for asking that thread to be locked and preventing any further discussion.

What that says to me is that your harshly worded opinions mattered a lot more than all the other reasonably worded ones in that thread. And that I do find really unfortunate.

Currently, I’m stranded in an airport in Canada trying to get back home to the USA, and when I do make it back, I will give a more in-depth and respectful critique on the matter.

I let the stress get the better of me.

While its a bit bad to see the thread closed over just a few thoughts. mp3dom's statement on BD.com is pretty correct regardless to how savage it is. Changing the gamma/brightness from the intended Japanese source is going to really upset purists. In the times where the provided master isn't the correct colour/gamma/brightness compared to the Japanese source thats when the encoder should put some work in to try, and get as close to the intended levels as possible.

Another thing to mention in the regards to the recent Maquia release. If there is a noise filter on the film. Do Not Remove It. This has introduced from what I can see very quickly artefacts into the video. It's there to help prevent blocking, and other encoding related issues. Seeing it denoised/degrained is a real shame when other produced masters have it, and look much better quality wise. I understand Noise/Grain can be distracting/offputting to some people, but if its on the Japanese source its an intended thing. Please do not mess with it.

Back