UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Now the news is officially out there, let's see how social media react to the pricing.

With regards to gundam it'll likely stay in Stock online for a while, just all 1000 have been sent out. Amazon, zavvi will probably have it for a couple months at least

sniper_samurai said:
Please note all the 1-Day deals are available for UK Residents Only.
Will this affect me having an Irish billing address, but shipping to a UK address or is this only a shipping restriction?

Yes, Ireland is included in our 1-day deals as well given our licenses for UK & Ireland. Have updated the Newswire accordingly :)

Gemsy-chan said:
I had ordered mine from AL's store and got it a good few weeks early..

I ordered mine a week ago from there as well,but after seeing the newswire I was a bit unsure if It would arrive on release day.That was until 5 minutes ago when it came though the post :lol:

Glad I got my Mobile Suit Gundam BD set at MCM London - I had never watched the original series and had picked up both MSG The Origin sets (had the second on pre-order at that time) so was glad it was coming to BD. It's sad that some of the other classics in the franchise won't be seeing BD releases, at present time anyway, as it would be great to have a BD collection of all MSG series.

thedoctor2016 said:
Same and it shows the support for Gundam on BD *cough Turn A cough*

Sunrise are responsible for going DVD-only, not much AL can do. What are you repeatedly failing understand about that simple concept?

how dos andrew feel about the older lupin the 3rd stuff ? ie season 1 ? ( which dos not have a blu ray release in the west) or a full dvd relase of season 2 ?

Ha there are a lot of jimmies being rustled here.

I'll have to monitor the price of Terror In Resonance on Zavvi before I commit. I struggling to justify that much money spent on 11 episodes. If by any chance Zavvi pull a FMP and drop the price to below half then I'll probably jump on it. But until then...

So if my copy of Gundam arrives from Zavvi looking like it's been dropkicked across their warehouse, then the odds of getting it replaced are slim. Buying Collector's Editions from Zavvi really is like playing russian roulette sometimes.

Just a side note that I REALLY appreciate all the discussion on the Terror In Resonance set, it's fascinating to see the process involved in putting these sets together. Thanks for continuing to respond to posts on here too Andrew!

As for my 2 cents; price seems reasonable to me for the work that's gone into it after reading through the posts (I'm also one of those crazy people who much prefers the amarays in a holder style ultimates; like FMP). Plus there's always the standard edition later on for those who were only luke-warm to the show.

*Disclaimer: My sense of value may have become warped after continuing to pick up the AoA monogatari releases...

Price is no issue, I'd just rather spend £50 on the release and have £40 spare for another pick up. Still, i guess the price will most likely go down given the release is April (going by AL delays, May) and so should be fine. I hope the big box thing stops soon though, it's so unnecessary and awkward. I have the FMP release and after taking the amarays out if the box just a few times, the edges of the card covering the foam is starting to bend/crease and is looking unattractive - all for a book that did not have to be that size

NoSurprises said:
As for my 2 cents; price seems reasonable to me for the work that's gone into it after reading through the posts (I'm also one of those crazy people who much prefers the amarays in a holder style ultimates; like FMP). .Plus there's always the standard edition later on for those who were only luke-warm to the show

*Disclaimer: My sense of value may have become warped after continuing to pick up the AoA monogatari releases...

Just throwing my two cents back at ya ;)

it's not about being luke warm to the show, i've never watched any of the shows AL have released and i've bought every one of them, it's about value for money and being priced out of supporting the Ultimate Editions. At best we're likely looking at a situation where the show will be around £70 by launch with pre-order discounts, but when a usual AL pre-order registers in at around £40, that is still a massive difference.

As mentioned, on paper there is nothing here to really distinguish this release from a Collectors Edition other than the larger book and the larger box, and with books being standard in AL sets, some like Blood Lad being around 100 pages, some like space Dandy being closer to 200, you start expecting a decent size book anyway, and with the RRPs of those being £49.99 and £69.99, it becomes hard, as a consumer, to see where the additional value is coming from.

Not all books are equal, likewise for the content on the discs. The BD discs themselves are worth pennies but the show itself could command £160 in some cases (Eva). The amount being printed and such will have an impact too. Many factors at play.

Unfortunately AL will need to communicate effectively to the fans as to why they should back this release, and also where the additional value is coming from, which they are trying to do by explaining in depth about the book, otherwise I can foresee it bombing for them.

We've already seen ANdrew say things like "if you don't like it then you don't have to buy it and that's fine" but at the end of the day, that's not how their business works. They are creating 1000 copies of this, apparently at great expense where their profit margins are very small, so if everyone suddenly turns rounds and says "hmm, bit too pricey for me" or "I can't see the value in this" then it will hurt them a lot.

When ardent AL supporters like myself have to question the thinking behind a release, you can tell something is up.

I was lucky enough to get a look at a draft of the Terror in Resonance book at MCM, so I'll most likely purchase the set for that. Not exactly over the moon to find that DVD coasters could be tainting my potential future purchase though. £99 RRP is a lot for the set, granted that's most likely nowhere near what you're going to pay at release. Gurren had a £150 RRP I think, and it was £80-90 at pre-order. I totally understand why people can't justify the asking price though.

Back