UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

You can breathe easy then, no UE for now as not enough materials IMO :(. Will definitely revisit one day though.

AP
Well that's good (for me, I'm sure others will be disappointed by the news). I do hope you do some kind of deluxe edition closer to your normal CE's though, I mean I'll buy the steelbook if it's all that's available as I really wanna see the film, but a steelbook doesn't really say CE for me....

Steel books may not be the same as collectors editions but that does not mean they are not collectable. Zavvi sells hundreds of Steel book editions many of which sell out before release. I genially do not get peoples issues with Steel books, I think they look great and ware well suited to film. The only downside is that its harder to include art books in these releases

A box similar to The Place Promised In Our Early Days and Garden of Words would be good to keep the Makoto Shinkai films consistent.
And then pray you get the rights to 5cm per Second and do the same again :D

I like Steelbooks if the design is good. I don't really buy any collectible stuff that has no purpose other than to look at as I'd rather spend my money on something that occupies my time. Steelbooks are great because they give me something I can display on a shelf and they are watchable.
Gankutsuou was nice looking, OK the case isn't a proper Steelbook but I display it front on so not having the name on the side doesn't bother me. (I do own the other AL steelies too except perfect blue but the designs aren't right up there with some of the others I have imo so I don't display them much.)

My god...cant wait for my collectors edition to arrive as well. In other news I recently got the YLIA part 1 box set but the part 1 is too big for the slipcase? It wont even budge lol...this is a pretty big design flaw.

I guess they're going for a steelbook CE because there is no artbook that would fit in their normal style of CE? A bit of a shame because now I'll probably end up getting the standard edition because at least it will match my collection more and look fine next to garden of words and the Shinkai double pack (which is two amarays in a box).

In other news I recently got the YLIA part 1 box set but the part 1 is too big for the slipcase? It wont even budge lol...this is a pretty big design flaw.

Did you not realise the YLIA you bought off Blaize was the original release not the re-release that fixed the design flaw of being too small? He did state in the listing it was the original release, though if you didn't know about the replacement scheme then you wouldn't know what that meant.

As we did get the replacements free AL did ask us not to sell or give our original sets to anyone as Part 2 might not fit in the original box to hold both parts.

Ultimately, whatever I do, I will not make everybody happy, end of story there alas :).

We'll be talking more about our releases in the coming month though so stay tuned, got a theatrical to survive first ;).

Best.

AP

Yeah, I've noticed, which was why I wasn't trying to sound overly sniffy about it. My dislike for Steelbooks is entirely my own. It would be personally be a disappointment, but I can understand why that option might make more sense for a larger scale release. Plus, there's always the JP release if I also want a nice boxed set.

Last edited:
Shall I just remove the slipcase and YOLO it

This is almost as bad as when they used too much superglue on the claymore sets

Nice, some zavvi steelbooks are great so i preordered it, 2 copies actually. If there is any other CE in the future I ll grab that as well. In the meantime I'm waiting for the amazon japan bd box that looks like this :

Wow, that's a really nice looking set. I can understand why some might not like the minimalist design, but I find it quite striking. The digipack art in particular is stunning

Found a photo of the Your Name audio/sub specs via Blu-ray forum (user GxyExpress999):

zkDukZA.jpg

In other words, yes the Ultra HD Blu-ray version does contain English subtitles.

I like Steelbooks if the design is good. I don't really buy any collectible stuff that has no purpose other than to look at as I'd rather spend my money on something that occupies my time. Steelbooks are great because they give me something I can display on a shelf and they are watchable.
Gankutsuou was nice looking, OK the case isn't a proper Steelbook but I display it front on so not having the name on the side doesn't bother me. (I do own the other AL steelies too except perfect blue but the designs aren't right up there with some of the others I have imo so I don't display them much.)

A lot of love has gone into the Your Name steelbook design I can assure you so stay tuned there :)! It's a proper Scanavo steelbook too for anyone who's concerned too.

Well that's good (for me, I'm sure others will be disappointed by the news). I do hope you do some kind of deluxe edition closer to your normal CE's though, I mean I'll buy the steelbook if it's all that's available as I really wanna see the film, but a steelbook doesn't really say CE for me....

We'll talk more about what configurations there are around the theatrical re-release time so stay tuned - but one of the key issues with this title is there are limited assets worldwide to work with so we're all having to be pretty progressive about what we do alas.]

Wow, that's a really nice looking set. I can understand why some might not like the minimalist design, but I find it quite striking. The digipack art in particular is stunning

Alas that particular artwork does not seem to be cleared for international use (or I know of nobody with it sadly outside of Japan - which isn't unusual as special artwork needs cleared by the artist often.)

AP

It's a proper Scanavo steelbook too for anyone who's concerned too.
This is probably the one title I'd happily still buy even if it wasn't a proper Scanavo steelbook.

We'll talk more about what configurations there are around the theatrical re-release time so stay tuned
I hope this means you'll also be able to tell us what's available in terms of on-disc content around then.

Found a photo of the Your Name audio/sub specs via Blu-ray forum (user GxyExpress999):

zkDukZA.jpg

In other words, yes the Ultra HD Blu-ray version does contain English subtitles.

Figured it might in perspective, what I was getting confused with on podcast was the version we'd access doesn't so we'd need to rebuild from scratch. Conservatively that would mean a cost of about $40,000 just to get to the point of pressing discs, then an increased cost per unit as they cost 2x at least a regular BD to print.

So say we printed ambitiously 1,000 units for the UK release - you'd be looking at a $40-50 price added to an Ultimate just to do 4K. Add in nice packaging (as nowhere near 1,000 will pay £100 for a 4K in an amaray on its own or as a combi pack) and you're looking at £200 easily for it here atm. Which is why nobody is touching 4K BD outside of big studios across the world really...

Back