UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

But regardless of run time the cost of the disc and packaging will still be the same.
Then they should've realised it was an awful idea to make this a CE if they can't avoid such a steep price. In cases like this I think it'd be best to stick with just a standard edition and booklet if they really insist on using materials.

But regardless of run time the cost of the disc and packaging will still be the same.
Even if that were to be a factor in the retail price, that’s not the case here:
  • It‘s rather unlikely to be anything more than a BD25 disc at <30mins with no extras. Other releases would span multiple discs and require BD50 dual layers.
  • A quick evaluation of material would be that the CE is the standard Amaray cased product put into a card outer sleeve with a 16 page insert.
  • It’s not like there’s even any art to commission, (assuming outer sleeve uses the same as the JP release, and booklet materials are supplied)
Tell me I’m missing something here, or that 16 page booklet is worth around £15 (’cheap’ pricing £25 CE vs £10) or £25 (srp of both: £40 CE vs £15 )

If you’re just looking at material costs (not licensing), there‘s one heck of a mark-up with anime anyway.
I’ve previously looked up BR pressing companies to see how much more the ‘premium’ digipak packaging costs, and you can fairly well approximate £1 per item for a (pricey) short run with flashy/premium bits, or half that for more basic items. That‘s £3-£4 of material cost at most.
I guess you could infer that the material costs for the CE may be up to double the cost of the ‘standard’. But that doesn’t work either, as the end price difference is more like 2.5x…

In summary: the CE costs more than 2.5x as much as the standard edition. That extra £15-£25 gets you a 16-page leaflet, and an outer slipcover.

AL just scrap the collector editions for Deiji Meets Girl, throw the 16 page booklet in with the standard edition and maybe even give it a slipcover for the first print run like Gkids. Maybe I am in the minority when I say this but not every release needs to have a "Collectors Edition" and I know some like 5 centimeters Per Second and Journey to Agartha didn't get conventional collector editions, sure its nice but don't railroad yourself into having to make one.

I have bought The Prisoner from Arrow Academy for 9 pounds and that came with a 22 page booklet as the standard. That was a feature length film as well.

Last edited:
Today is release day of "Spy x Family Season 1 Original Soundtrack - Vinyl Deluxe Edition". My order will be sent soon, or it will be delayed as the rest of my orders? 🤔

AL just scrap the collector editions for Deiji Meets Girl, throw the 16 page booklet in with the standard edition and maybe even give it a slipcover for the first print run like Gkids. Maybe I am in the minority when I say this but not every release needs to have a "Collectors Edition" and I know some like 5 centimeters Per Second and Journey to Agartha didn't get conventional collector editions, sure its nice but don't railroad yourself into having to make one.

I have bought The Prisoner from Arrow Academy for 9 pounds and that came with a 22 page booklet as the standard. That was a feature length film as well.
I feel much of AL's delays would be solved if they just didn't make a CE for everything. Just because they have access to the materials it doesn't mean they have to make a CE with them. Even the standard + booklet idea sounds better than the usual formula for most of their projects.

I feel much of AL's delays would be solved if they just didn't make a CE for everything. Just because they have access to the materials it doesn't mean they have to make a CE with them. Even the standard + booklet idea sounds better than the usual formula for most of their projects.
I agree. Like you said standard + booklet isn't a bad idea and one I would personally be happy with. Look at other boutique blu ray companys like Eureka, Arrow, Indicator or even Crunchy/Funimation. They only do a couple of "Collector Editions" With outer boxes and big booklets while most of their releases are standard cases + smaller booklet and sometimes a slipcover. I hardly see those releases delayed or have major delays.

Well, in my case, if AL stops making Collectors Editions, then I won't be importing anything from the UK anymore and so will most likely drop off of the forum here as well. I've been here for the last 7-8 years only to import UK Collector sets; I don't have any need to buy standard releases from the UK, as I can get way more of a selection of those right here in the US, and in my proper Region Code. The Collector Edition sets and especially digipaks were what gave me enough incentive to import Region B Blu-rays in the first place. But then, I'm only one international customer, and my situation is not much of a strong argument as far as the UK anime world goes. And, it probably doesn't matter much for me anymore, as I'm fairly certain my physical anime collecting is nearing an end now anyway.

Last edited:
I am little agreed with @Girls with Guns. I mean, the CE editions push me to buy titles, and after I'm so happy with them. I want to pay more, and get something that looks better. I know, due to fact, that CE editions had better looking boxes, booklets, means, that release date delays, but I have similar problems with vinyls or printed mangas - so, I can wait, and I think, even if AL will be stop creating CE editions, it didn't speed up the releases much at all - this may sound a bit unpleasant, but they would tell us that the delay was due to another reason.

Anime fans are their own worst enemies sometimes. It’s an incredibly silly thing to ask the company who calls themselves Anime Limited to stop releasing every title in a Collector’s Edition. It’s not even a real issue. Just be patient nerds and wait for it to go on sale or the standard set to be released.

Anime fans are their own worst enemies sometimes. It’s an incredibly silly thing to ask the company who calls themselves Anime Limited to stop releasing every title in a Collector’s Edition. It’s not even a real issue. Just be patient nerds and wait for it to go on sale or the standard set to be released.
The issue is that AL blame so many aspects of the collector’s editions for the neverending delays, that if we choose to believe them, they could get titles out 6-9 months earlier by not bothering with collector’s editions. That is, if we choose to believe the reasons for the delays.

Yeah, delays can be a little annoying at times but in the end we always get a great product and for me personally even when they arrive it can end up taking years before I even watch what I bought, each to their own though at the end of the day.

Delays are annoying but yeah I don't take them personally and always get annoyed somewhat at the reaction here to Delays, there annoying but there not as big a deal as people here make it out to be.
Personally, I think people are well within their right to be annoyed when AL take people's money up-front and then take almost a year in some cases to deliver a product to them.

Delays are annoying but yeah I don't take them personally and always get annoyed somewhat at the reaction here to Delays, there annoying but there not as big a deal as people here make it out to be.
I didn't really mind delays before but I consider them a big deal now that AL aren't doing partial shipments. Sorry but I get quite unhappy when my entire shipment of £100+, which you took the money upfront, keeps getting delayed for ages when the majority of the items are in stock.

Well, in my case, if AL stops making Collectors Editions, then I won't be importing anything from the UK anymore and so will most likely drop off of the forum here as well

I live for the CE's tbh they are the main thing I want, but AL will know the logistics of costs/returns on CE's and whether they are worth it I expect. It would be a shame if they stopped making them.

More annoying in a way is how one series can get a CE/license but then Crunchyroll or whoever comes and takes it back, will we get a CE for the next bits of Demon Slayer for example? I have the Season 1 and Mugen Train CE's but no sign of Entertainment District one. Same for stuff like Re;Zero where I have Season 1 but not sure if will ever get Season 2.

I don’t know, man. It just seems to me that some of you take the delays a little personally.

I've mentioned before but if every single release is slipping, then release dates are unrealistic to begin with.

I don't think people seem to be taking it personally, but there is a point where making the same mistake constantly is kind of inexcusable.

Back