UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

I'm confused about Future Boy Conan... pretty sure originally they were gonna do a proper book of 132 pages? I love Victorian Romance Emma but not sure that I can justify triple dipping when I already own the US BDs.

Dammit...looks like I have to triple dip on Emma.

I love Victorian Romance Emma but not sure that I can justify triple dipping when I already own the US BDs.

This would also be a triple-dip for Emma for me - I have the two original Nozomi DVD box sets, of which the first box looks just like the box the UK is getting, and I also have the Emma Kickstarter BD box set. Did anyone here get the Kickstarter set? I can't remember if that one was open to the UK or just the US:

Emma: A Victorian Romance Kickstarter Edition

This would also be a triple-dip for Emma for me - I have the two original Nozomi DVD box sets, of which the first box looks just like the box the UK is getting, and I also have the Emma Kickstarter BD box set. Did anyone here get the Kickstarter set? I can't remember if that one was open to the UK or just the US:

I’ve got the original Nozomi sets (never selling them) and I got the singles in the kickstarter, I couldn’t afford the whole set at the time. I’ll get ALs and then sell my kickstarter singles.

Well, at least the series is well worth a triple-dip, I love the story, and the anime is awesome. I'm not a dubber, but they did really try to put a lot of effort into that "English English" dub, so I hope it sounds good and proper to you all over there.

And I don't plan to ever get rid of my DVD box sets either - I'll probably buy a standard set of discs eventually just to frankenstein into them to make a combo set. Depends on if you can still buy multi-disc DVD cases any more, I hear they're getting pretty scarce nowadays.

Well, at least the series is well worth a triple-dip, I love the story, and the anime is awesome. I'm not a dubber, but they did really try to put a lot of effort into that "English English" dub, so I hope it sounds good and proper to you all over there.

And I don't plan to ever get rid of my DVD box sets either - I'll probably buy a standard set of discs eventually just to frankenstein into them to make a combo set. Depends on if you can still buy multi-disc DVD cases any more, I hear they're getting pretty scarce nowadays.

Yeah, I like dubs more than you do generally but I agree the Emma dub really stands above many others in terms of quality :)

Curious to know your opinion on the downgrade?

It's hard to say- I'd always put quality over quantity so if the extra pages were unnecessary and Clements is happy with his final draft then I don't really have an issue over it. If it was a case of 'please cut 50 pages as we're cutting the budget' then that's a different issue, but we'll probably never know what those pages would have contained.

I think there's plenty of archival material that could have theoretically been licensed for inclusion. I suppose it's debatable whether or not it would have been worth the expense, for example, to include the Conan portion that's included in Starting Point. I always lean towards yes - I've picked up several books on the basis of chapters that have been included with Criterion or Indicator releases for instance. And I know that there's more material on Conan out there as well.

Anyway, I've come to learn that anime releases will never really have decent extras and to be grateful for anything. Which will never stop me trying to suggest materials that I think should be included, but I never expect that they actually will be. And the idea that Future Boy Conan is getting a 4K UHD release would have been so preposterous to me even this time last year that I would feel too churlish to express anything other than gratitude!

Anyway, I've come to learn that anime releases will never really have decent extras and to be grateful for anything.
That's a good point. As nice as it is to have a beautiful and perfect collector's set for your favourite anime, thinking back of their scarcity not that long ago, I find solace in just having the anime themselves alone for my favourites, even were these only available with sub par visuals, audio, translations or transfers.

That's a good point. As nice as it is to have a beautiful and perfect collector's set for your favourite anime, thinking back of their scarcity not that long ago, I find solace in just having the anime themselves alone for my favourites, even were these only available with sub par visuals, audio, translations or transfers.

It's more of a case of just having resigned myself to it rather than anything else!

I'm not sure if the issue is with licensors or licensees (or maybe the feeling that adding extras will increase expenditure without increasing sales?), but it seems like there isn't a culture of contextual or scholarly extras (or 'Criterion-style', they did practically invent them to give them their due) for anime releases. To give them their due, Anime Limited have taken steps in this direction with Clements' book for Momotaro Sacred Sailors and Future Boy Conan but they're still the exception rather than the rule and you'd imagine if it were Criterion/Arrow/Indicator/BFI releasing them there'd be a collective '...is that it?'

If it's to do with prohibitive costs rather than access to source materials, though I can see them being linked, do you think such quality extras when available could still be released in digital or online forms for separate or bundled purchases? Even if it defeats the purpose of having a nice collector's physical copy, at the very least the material would still be available for access on some cloud or the other. Though that could be a slippery slope towards physical editions of the anime as well, and yet there are some simply not available that I guess I'd still be happy for at least official online access to...

If it's to do with prohibitive costs rather than access to source materials, though I can see them being linked, do you think such quality extras when available could still be released in digital or online forms for separate or bundled purchases? Even if it defeats the purpose of having a nice collector's physical copy, at the very least the material would still be available for access on some cloud or the other. Though that could be a slippery slope towards physical editions of the anime as well, and yet there are some simply not available that I guess I'd still be happy for at least official online access to...

I also wouldn't see that saving much money - the cost involved would presumably be more to do with the licensing +/- subtitling than with putting it on disc.

Thanks for your input @Yami and @Geriatric hedgehog - I'm not very forgiving of subpar video or poor quality dubbing, for my own part, but I am thinking that at least we're getting lots of text in this booklet and essays, rather than a book full of what I view as crappy filler extras like character and vehicle/machine/robot profiles - the only contents I'm really interested in in books that are included are as follows:

1. Proper beautiful pieces of full pages, full colour artwork.

2. Essays and interviews/creator's insights on the episodes/film.

3. The Kill la Kill key art books were pretty neat, as they included a lot of key art rather than just a few pieces.

4. There are probably a few other things I could think of but my main point is I do want to at least show my appreciation that even if the content in this book is pared down from what it might have been (as you say, it might not have been pared down and more a matter of concluding those many pages actually weren't necessary), at least it is not just "and now here's all the characters and mechs drawn from several different angles!" :p

I have KS sets. Also, from Aria or Dirty Pair (in future) xD

Anyway, I have other question, because I lost focus on information... Probably. What's going on with this:

Let the vampires reign again, as Seraph of the End returns to the UK with a new Collector’s Edition, including seasons one and two of the series plus the original soundtrack from Hiroyuki Sawano on CD!

And now I see, that this box has only TV series (without OST)?

Second question, Blood-C Ultimate Edition Blu-ray was already sent? I'm asking, because release date is set for end of April, and I don't receive information abound send package.

Nozomi had some kind of historical linguist consulting for the series, to help instruct the voice actors in using period-era dialects. But even so, I'm sure the accents will still sound a bit off to natural-born Brits, because I do believe most if not all the voice actors used were American.

Anyway, I have other question, because I lost focus on information... Probably. What's going on with this:

Let the vampires reign again, as Seraph of the End returns to the UK with a new Collector’s Edition, including seasons one and two of the series plus the original soundtrack from Hiroyuki Sawano on CD!

Second question, Blood-C Ultimate Edition Blu-ray was already sent? I'm asking, because release date is set for end of April, and I don't receive information abound send package.

this i would like to know as well !

It's hard to say- I'd always put quality over quantity so if the extra pages were unnecessary and Clements is happy with his final draft then I don't really have an issue over it. If it was a case of 'please cut 50 pages as we're cutting the budget' then that's a different issue, but we'll probably never know what those pages would have contained.

I think there's plenty of archival material that could have theoretically been licensed for inclusion. I suppose it's debatable whether or not it would have been worth the expense, for example, to include the Conan portion that's included in Starting Point. I always lean towards yes - I've picked up several books on the basis of chapters that have been included with Criterion or Indicator releases for instance. And I know that there's more material on Conan out there as well.

Anyway, I've come to learn that anime releases will never really have decent extras and to be grateful for anything. Which will never stop me trying to suggest materials that I think should be included, but I never expect that they actually will be. And the idea that Future Boy Conan is getting a 4K UHD release would have been so preposterous to me even this time last year that I would feel too churlish to express anything other than gratitude!

Starting point ?

Anime Limited sent out a email to those that pre-ordered, confirming the ost would no longer be included in the collector's edition, and they offered a partial refund of £10 to those who wanted to keep their pre-orders, or a full refund if people wanted to cancel their order.

No, it hasn't been sent yet, as this month's blog post has Blood-C's release date as tbc.

Last edited:
Back