UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

It's a nice set but it's a lot of money for a blind buy for me, especially with Hosoda's films being so hit and miss (from what I've been told it's more likely to be a miss for me as the only films of his I would say are actually good are TGWLTT and Wolf Children). Will see what the EB price is and decide then.
Don't know if you've seen The Boy and the Beast but that's a personal favorite of mine by him :)

Hmm, Boy and the Beast is my least-favorite Hosada film, I think I liked even Mirai more than that one. My order of most to least would be TGWLTT, Summer Wars, Belle, Wolf Children, Mirai, and Boy and the Beast... Wolf Children is a good movie but it's just not something I want to re-watch that much; I dealt with the child rearing phase more than enough in my life with my two daughters, so I don't really want to watch movies dealing with the hardships of it like Wolf Children and Mirai. There's too much I can relate to and don't need to relive, lol. Thank goodness my daughters are both grown and out of the house on their own now... 😵‍💫

Resisted buying anything in the sale .... until now. I just couldn't let the discount code go to waste and I think Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine should be entertaining enough.

Boy and the Beast is my least-favorite Hosada film, I think I liked even Mirai more than that one. My order of most to least would be TGWLTT, Summer Wars, Belle, Wolf Children, Mirai, and Boy and the Beast
Interesting. For what it's worth, Belle would have to one of my least-favourite things I've ever watched. In fact, it's the first Hosoda film I have no intention of buying in any format.

I enjoyed the event at Glasgow Film Theatre last November where it was screened with Hosoda as a guest. The film itself... not so much. 😬

I really enjoyed Belle and for me Mirai is an atrocity. When we did the recent simulwatch of his films this is how I ordered them:

My Hosoda listing:
  1. Summer Wars
  2. Girl Who Leapt Through Time
  3. Belle (possibly move this to 2 on a rewatch but it didn't make me cry as much as GWLTT)
  4. One Piece
  5. Boy And The Beast
  6. Wolf Chrildren
  7. I want to pretend Mirai doesn't exist

My feeling haven't changed. Summer Wars is by a huge margin his best film for me! Love that film and GWLTT. I haven't seen Belle a second time yet but I don't feel it will move up.

Yeah I've seen Boy and the Beast, didn't think much of it tbh. Only films I haven't seen are Mirai (I do own it, just haven't watched it yet) and Belle. I'd only consider TGWLTT (which is one of my favourite movies period) and Wolf Children to be actual good movies. Like I don't think Summer Wars is a bad movie but I don't think it's very good either and I have absolutely no desire to ever watch it again.

Haha, the next door neighbor couple who watch anime with me are in their very early 30's and don't really plan on having any kids... I had the girl over to watch anime for a Saturday matinee about two months ago, and she said she wanted to watch Wolf Children because she had read about it online. So I dug out my Blu-rays for both Wolf Children and Mirai, and a few other anime movies she hasn't seen yet. I told her I had already seen Wolf Children twice, but had not seen Mirai yet, so she picked Mirai for us to watch. After watching the way the kid acted in that movie, she said she's totally sworn off ever having any kids, and now she's hesitant about ever watching Wolf Children because I told her it would be more of the same, lol... 🤣

Ranking the movies seems to be very subjective! For me it's:

1. Wolf Children
2. BELLE
3. Summer Wars
4. TGWLTT
5. Mirai
6. Boy and the Beast

With Wolf Children far and away the winner. I love that film a lot (and I don't have kids.) I didn't like BatB much and it didn't leave a lasting impression. The rest are much closer; I'm a sucker for a good soundtrack so I had fun with BELLE.

R

Seems a lot of this could be discussed over here ⏩ Mamoru Hosoda Movie Marathon

Wolf Children is well ahead in the poll. I realised I didn't really put my final impression of BELLE, but the more I thought about it the more I thought a lot of it was dumb, especially around how U worked and the ending. Probably will still buy it though and put my final thoughts up after a rewatch.

Last edited:
i think i might just hold out and buy the standard 4k/BD Belle when it comes out and import the soundtrack, i wish that the poster art was the main art of the cover inserts rather than it being different art

Back