UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

I seem to be in the minority here in that I actually rather like the CE artwork, especially the outer box. 😋

I like that it's all built from graphics seen in-universe.
I recall someone mentioning the CE version is based on one of the old DVD collections released in Japan. Nice to see that and the UE referencing the older format releases. It's good minimalism

Still undecided if I want the UE or not, I'm not a huge fan of the CE but man I didn't really think about just how big this UE is until I started trying to work out where the hell I'd put it lol won't even fit in an Ikea Kallax... Guess I could just stick it on top of the bookcase but I'd always be paranoid that it'll fall.

I think the CE artwork (the zavvi exclusive) looks pretty good. I just wish AL would change the way they design their spines for their standard editions, as they really do not look good on a shelf at all IMO - even if its something more akin to what mvm do, making the logo smaller and putting it at the bottom would be better. As well as removing the unnecessary blu ray logo they do which tells how many discs there are.

Hopefully some more copies of the UE become available, I'm sure some will cancel and keep the CE instead and probably those that ordered it not in the UK
I reckon it's unlikely at this point, they already increased it by 1000 units and a good number of people already cancelled in favour of the other editions. At this point it feels set in stone though there maybe the odd one here and there. That's my feeling on it.

It was @Girls with Guns who first drew the comparison, yeah.

Lol, sorry for that, guys - I am the guilty party who called it the elephant butt way back in 2014 - that was just the immediate visual that popped into my head the first time I saw the logo when I started importing anime from the UK. But then, I see dead people too, so... 🤫

Elephants have tails & presumably tighter sphincters

rhinoceros-jim-carrey.gif

(I know it's a rhino but I couldn't resist :p)

Lol, sorry for that, guys - I am the guilty party who called it the elephant butt way back in 2014 - that was just the immediate visual that popped into my head the first time I saw the logo when I started importing anime from the UK. But then, I see dead people too, so... 🤫

Does this mean you survived your surgery??? I'm so happy if you got through it! :) <3

V
Does this mean you survived your surgery??? I'm so happy if you got through it! :) <3
Yes, I'm still alive! I'm still in the hospital though, sitting here in my room typing on my phone. I'm finally going home tomorrow, it will be 11 days in the hospital, and 6-8 weeks recovery; I'm very sore and will need a lot of attention at home. I hope this works out!

The HMV spiel bit at the bottom is a sticker that sits on the plastic wrap - so will come off when you open it as a heads up so the front is exactly that - just the NERV logo on front!

Best,

AP
That's awesome and will no doubt look pretty impressive on display front on then. Thanks for clarifying!
Between that and the circle highlighting the age rating, it means I am not really inclined to buy it, even though I actually prefer it to the regular CE artwork otherwise
I prefer it to the CE as well but yeah, hence the last bit about displaying front on rather than with the spine (it is Eva after all so for a nut like me displaying just the spine wouldn't sit right heh).

Reading on, I see a lot of admiration for the CE box, which I share in that I do like it. Furthermore so if it is in fact inspired by older Japanese LE/CEs - I love a bit of historical context from the source country, which is another reason I love the UE. But despite always preferring a minimalist/negative space type design over a busy one, I can't say I'm blown away by the CE and the HMV SE o-card is definitely nicer for me. And on minimalist designs, nothing beats the Japanese blu ray LE for me - that is utterly gorgeous in its simplicity. Who knows, in a few decades we may have a UK re-release (to baffle some more youff of that time) inspired by the 2015 Japanese blu ray/dvd sets!
Yes, I'm still alive! I'm still in the hospital though, sitting here in my room typing on my phone. I'm finally going home tomorrow, it will be 11 days in the hospital, and 6-8 weeks recovery; I'm very sore and will need a lot of attention at home. I hope this works out!
Great to have you back online dude! Wishing you a quick recovery from the post-op period and hoping the pain starts settling quickly. Keep calm and carry on watching anime in the meantime heh.

Back