Anime Limited Announce First Release: Cowboy Bebop DVD & Blu-Ray

Re: Anime Limited Announce First Release: Cowboy Bebop DVD &

kaze_andrew said:
Cathe said:
Andrew! Since the first announcement was Cowboy Bebop, which is quite an old one now.....can we have the newest one you have as the next announcement? :D (not newest as in most recent you got, newest as in which was made most recently) just so it's something different really :D

(Or if you have managed to wave your magic wand and you've got something the americans haven't, then tell us that one!) ;)

I'll announce a new one that America doesn't have yet in February - I promise :). As for next announcement - it's really a case of what I have signed and paid up as that's the point that is 100% safe to declare a title.

So while I wish I could flip back and forth by choice, it's mostly just due to when I sign stuff ^^;;;.

Andrew
Is that how we say "Gurren Lagann Bluray"?
Row Row Fight the Powa!

An unrealistic hope would also be a Haruhi TV BD, but Manga having S2 I'm guessing would cause issues.

If you are waiting for another contract to go through before you can make an announcement, wouldn't that mean that the Bebop contract went through pretty quickly?

Mangaranga said:
Is that how we say "Gurren Lagann Bluray"?
Row Row Fight the Powa!

Well GL is likely to get a US release isn't it given the licensor in Japan? Plus it's been in the USA before, so that's not what I was talking about :).

Mangaranga said:
An unrealistic hope would also be a Haruhi TV BD, but Manga having S2 I'm guessing would cause issues.

I've not approached the topic of Haruhi S1 because it would make sense for Manga UK to retrieve the rights there. I'm generally a believer in franchise consistency there, so if someone has S1 (or in this case S2), then unless something crazy comes up then I feel they should have the rest too. It's about what's best for the franchise and what's fair though all in all :).

Mangaranga said:
If you are waiting for another contract to go through before you can make an announcement, wouldn't that mean that the Bebop contract went through pretty quickly?

It doesn't mean much actually - I have a reasonable amount of contracts here good to go ;). But announcing them all at once wouldn't be as fun now, would it ;)?

Andrew

Andrew is it a bit of a case of

"How do you keep an otaku waiting?

I'll tell you the announcements later"

With all the anouncements from Sentai, Funi, MVM, Manga in the past few weeks plus yours to come it looks like another year of no money & a few more "haven't you got anoth" comments from my wife :lol:

kaze_andrew said:
It doesn't mean much actually - I have a reasonable amount of contracts here good to go ;). But announcing them all at once wouldn't be as fun now, would it ;)?

Andrew

Of course not but its taking too long for a new name do come up. Well, a lot of us will probably be disapointed since the hype might be a bit up at the moment. Anyway, we can always wait for other possible 13/14 contracts, this is bebop is the 15th one.

I'm more into old shows and by that i mean 2009 backwards. 3 years its a lot nowadays in everything so for me are old shows eheh Old classi'c (90') would be great too i guess.

bakum4tsu said:
kaze_andrew said:

Andrew

Of course not but its taking too long for a new name do come up. Well, a lot of us will probably be disapointed since the hype might be a bit up at the moment. Anyway, we can always wait for other possible 13/14 contracts, this is bebop is the 15th one.

I'm more into old shows and by that i mean 2009 backwards. 3 years its a lot nowadays in everything so for me are old shows eheh Old classi'c (90') would be great too i guess.

Duly noted and it's all about balance really - which is why I try to keep to a pattern of at least one announcement a month depending on license schedule and speed the title is coming out too :).

Don't worry - won't hold a title ridiculously long or any impact is lost!
Andrew

kaze_andrew said:
Duly noted and it's all about balance really - which is why I try to keep to a pattern of at least one announcement a month depending on license schedule and speed the title is coming out too :).

Andrew

Unfortunately I think we've all whipped ourselves up into a frenzy of anticipation now, I think perhaps you shouln't of let us know you had 15 up your sleves.

Rosencrantz said:
kaze_andrew said:

Andrew

Unfortunately I think we've all whipped ourselves up into a frenzy of anticipation now, I think perhaps you shouln't of let us know you had 15 up your sleves.

Yeah a lot of people (i think) its quite anxious to know whats coming up and im pretty sure Andrew wants to reveal names too but cant unfortunately. It all a matter of patience now i guess which is hard to have for some people. I really hope is something that i want because i dont have thatmuch to buy from uk releases and i'm willing to support uk industry honestly.

kaze_andrew said:
They're good guys at Aniplex of America actually and I'm pretty familiar with them - so you never know. They're not out to force people to import from the US too - I can assure folk of that :)
Seeing as the "nice guys" at Aniplex US has banned anyone from exporting to us, yeah, I guess you can. :lol:

Mohawk52 said:
kaze_andrew said:
They're good guys at Aniplex of America actually and I'm pretty familiar with them - so you never know. They're not out to force people to import from the US too - I can assure folk of that :)
Seeing as the "nice guys" at Aniplex US has banned anyone from exporting to us, yeah, I guess you can. :lol:

That does not appear to have stopped me or anyone else easily obtaining Aniplex releases from the normal retailers, this so called ban is effectively a 'we won't ship to Japan'

kaze_andrew said:
They're good guys at Aniplex of America actually and I'm pretty familiar with them - so you never know. They're not out to force people to import from the US too - I can assure folk of that :).
Is it worth getting you some shirts that say "Did you know I'm in Region B?"

I still not convinced someone overseas didn't misread the decimal point when approving the Madoka prince point, but more like that would definitely be nice :)

(gorgeous extras are also nice, but if I could afford them I'd still be importing from Japan...)

In the MyM interview it mentions that Anime Limited has announced 2 titles. Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star. With Outlaw Star being a DVD only release as it has not been released on Blu-ray in Japan. Plus it drops hints about spanking new anime, but the ink is not dry on the contract so it can not be announced yet.

I have another question for Andrew if he still pokes around here.

Is there any chance you could use the angle feature to let us switch between the OP/ED with English Credits/Japanese Credits?
I have never seen anyone other than Studio Canal use this feature. They use it to switch between the English/Japanese credits for the Ghibli movies.
It's not something that I would be all that picky about if it didn't happen, it's just nice to have the choice because I personally prefer the JP credits.

Mangaranga said:

Is there any chance you could use the angle feature to let us switch between the OP/ED with English Credits/Japanese Credits?
I have never seen anyone other than Studio Canal use this feature. They use it to switch between the English/Japanese credits for the Ghibli movies.
It's not something that I would be all that picky about if it didn't happen, it's just nice to have the choice because I personally prefer the JP credits.

Funimation used to do this on their DVDs, and that bled through to some Funimation title released here. There were two ways of doing it, Alternate Branching such as as on Kiddy Grade, and multi-angle, as on Gunslinger Girl. The problem that Funimation had was that multiangle cut down on the bandwidth and bitrate available from the DVD, and degraded the video quality on the credits. That was made worse as they rotoscoped the credit sequences to add English credits, and began by degrading the video in the first place.

For original language credits, look for titles that have been released by Sentai in the US, as they always keep the original language.

Just Passing Through said:
Mangaranga said:

Funimation used to do this on their DVDs, and that bled through to some Funimation title released here. There were two ways of doing it, Alternate Branching such as as on Kiddy Grade, and multi-angle, as on Gunslinger Girl. The problem that Funimation had was that multiangle cut down on the bandwidth and bitrate available from the DVD, and degraded the video quality on the credits. That was made worse as they rotoscoped the credit sequences to add English credits, and began by degrading the video in the first place.

For original language credits, look for titles that have been released by Sentai in the US, as they always keep the original language.
Yeah that's the one thing I do note about their releases, I was just wondering why what I mentioned wasn't being done more often.

There were lot of video quality complaints on FUNi's later releases with the multiple angles. When they stopped doing the multiple angles the PQ improved. It would be nice if, since they insist on completely replacing the credits while making mistakes and leaving stuff out (and, in a couple of cases, zoomin/cropping/masking the video when clean versions were not available), they also included the original credit rolls in the extras or something.

--edit--

Of course, like everyone else in the UK I would expect Anime Ltd to use existing masters if there are any.

I would personally prefer it if Funimation just left the original credits in and had a credits roll at the end like Sentai does.
NISA have started doing English Credits too with their releases too lately.
The Font and font sizes they use always look intrusive compared to the original Japanese credit OP, not so much with NISA though, more of a Funi issue.

I'm sure we won't be seeing anything dull from Anime Limited. I'm expecting their new titles to be striking in their variety.

Mangaranga said:

I am indeed still poking around and we can look into it - it's a neat thing they do their but often it will depend on the contractual requirements. Some require us to switch them because of the risk of counter importation. Where it is possible I'd be interested in experimenting with it anyway so long as PQ isn't hurt :).

Andrew

kaze_andrew said:
I am indeed still poking around and we can look into it - it's a neat thing they do their but often it will depend on the contractual requirements. Some require us to switch them because of the risk of counter importation. Where it is possible I'd be interested in experimenting with it anyway so long as PQ isn't hurt :).

Andrew

Just my two cents, if the Japanese allow it, subtitle them. This is how KAZEGermany does it with most of their releases, probably much easier.

pardon my ignorance, but anything regarding prices yet?

Back