Anime Limited Announce First Release: Cowboy Bebop DVD & Blu-Ray

Re: Anime Limited Announce First Release: Cowboy Bebop DVD &

Definately NISA. After a couple of initial pricey but reasonable releases, Aniplex have gone properly mad with their pricing. I don't mind paying £40-£70 for a nicely presented series dependant on length (since that's what I used to pay for 4-7 DVD singles) but no way am I paying £200.

Hey Andrew
Anybody suggest "Emma, A Victorian Romance" ? It would be a good one to surf the Downington Abbey wave thats running at present. It just needs a dub is all. :wink:

ayase said:
Definately NISA. After a couple of initial pricey but reasonable releases, Aniplex have gone properly mad with their pricing. I don't mind paying £40-£70 for a nicely presented series dependant on length (since that's what I used to pay for 4-7 DVD singles) but no way am I paying £200.

Totally agreed and seconded, I'd happily put my hand in my pocket and pay £40-£70 for a NISA style release (It'd have to be BD ofc)

I feel this is the time to take advantage of us being Region B aswell

I think the pricing for Aniplex's Madoka limited editions was very fair, but things like their latest blu-ray releases are way, way too much.

For me, anything higher than £30 that isn't an import would have to be a limited or collector's edition in some way. But I agree with Ayase that £70 is probably my limit.

For anyone interested there is an interview with Andrew Partridge in the latest MyM Magazine which is out today.

Ian Wolf said:
For anyone interested there is an interview with Andrew Partridge in the latest MyM Magazine which is out today.

i dont live in the uk so if anyone could provide scans please...

bakum4tsu said:
Ian Wolf said:

i dont live in the uk so if anyone could provide scans please...
I think Ian would flip a table if someone posted scans xD

ayase said:

Seconded, thirded or whatever.

Teo

st_owly said:
I can safely say that Aniplex style pricing is far too expensive for me. I'm only a student and I need to eat, but I'd be very happy with an NISA style model. Their sets always look so gorgeous and they're very well priced for what they are.

Yes I have a lot of respect for AoA's business model and that it works in the USA - but the UK market was never built to sustain that kind of pricing at least on first release window.

I do believe that key titles merit a Wolf's Rain Book of the Moon / Gundam Wing Remastered Edition release format but it's exactly that - a special edition release and generally you focus on doing one per year for the price of £100 - 200 with a very limited number.

As a general rule the NISA model has more relevance for our market even if a dub is thrown in. I'm evaluating all the options just now though as we build our brand identity up though so listening to what everyone has to say :).

Andrew

@kaze_andrew

him, when are you thinking about announcing more releases? Not really the day itselft of course, but in the next two weeks? next month?

It would be nice to know something.

Good luck with the project. :D

Mohawk52 said:
Hey Andrew
Anybody suggest "Emma, A Victorian Romance" ? It would be a good one to surf the Downington Abbey wave thats running at present. It just needs a dub is all. :wink:

A licensor suggested the same thing effectively to me! My issue remains the same - to target the correct audience for it would likely consume more money than is feasible. Which isn't saying it's impossible but sadly when you factor on the amount of period drama fans who would really pay for the show it certainly isn't an easy gambit.

Who knows what the future holds though :)?

AP

bakum4tsu said:
@kaze_andrew

him, when are you thinking about announcing more releases? Not really the day itselft of course, but in the next two weeks? next month?

Well - currently I have 15 contracts at varying stages of pre-signature all the way to done, dusted and paid for unannounced on my desk just now so I'll announce at least two within the next few weeks :).

I just signed and paid on my first theatrical project - which is looking pretty cool and I'll have more info on that in the very near future.

In short - I have plenty to announce in the future...

Andrew

kaze_andrew said:
bakum4tsu said:
@kaze_andrew

Well - currently I have 15 contracts at varying stages of pre-signature all the way to done, dusted and paid for unannounced on my desk just now so I'll announce at least two within the next few weeks :).

I just signed and paid on my first theatrical project - which is looking pretty cool and I'll have more info on that in the very near future.

In short - I have plenty to announce in the future...

Andrew

wow thats good then. :)

15 contracts means 15 anime? If so that's pretty good.

*Cross fingers for fate zero and garden of the sinners!!!!!!!!!!*

I'll easily exceed my budget limit for these two if you release them. :mrgreen:

I think NISA is a nice middle ground - really nice, well presented sets, yet affordable.
...just, try and make it so they can fit on conventional shelves though, unlike NISA's premium editions xD.

kaze_andrew said:
st_owly said:
I can safely say that Aniplex style pricing is far too expensive for me. I'm only a student and I need to eat, but I'd be very happy with an NISA style model. Their sets always look so gorgeous and they're very well priced for what they are.

Yes I have a lot of respect for AoA's business model and that it works in the USA - but the UK market was never built to sustain that kind of pricing at least on first release window.

I do believe that key titles merit a Wolf's Rain Book of the Moon / Gundam Wing Remastered Edition release format but it's exactly that - a special edition release and generally you focus on doing one per year for the price of £100 - 200 with a very limited number.

As a general rule the NISA model has more relevance for our market even if a dub is thrown in. I'm evaluating all the options just now though as we build our brand identity up though so listening to what everyone has to say :).

Andrew
@Andrew
I'd just like to out that I would easily throw £200 or more at you for a BD release of Garden of Sinners, and still a fair amount for Fate/Zero BD.
What's happening with the name of the company too? Do you have something in mind or is it staying simply as 'Anime Limited'?

I'm getting excited now. I can't remember the last time I was excited about a UK announcement or release, and you've already got one of those nailed down with Bebop.

bakum4tsu said:
15 contracts means 15 anime? If so that's pretty good.
Didn't you hear? They do it by the episode these days:p

I would love to name a 15-episode anime as I know there is at least one, but it's not worth racking my brain for a lame joke.

15 titles is still impressive for a startup.

Lawrence said:
Bakemonogatari?

(Didn't even have to think about that one :p)

He wasn't serious about the per episode :p

It's going to be very interesting to see if Andrew can prise anything off of Animeplex for a reasonable price, afterall their BD are multi region and they might be quite happy to just force people to import from the US. They might be happy to let loose DvD versions I guess.

Also from that Theatrical comment it's clear that it's not just Anime we should expect from those 15.

Andrew! Since the first announcement was Cowboy Bebop, which is quite an old one now.....can we have the newest one you have as the next announcement? :D (not newest as in most recent you got, newest as in which was made most recently) just so it's something different really :D

(Or if you have managed to wave your magic wand and you've got something the americans haven't, then tell us that one!) ;)

Rosencrantz said:
Lawrence said:
Bakemonogatari?

(Didn't even have to think about that one :p)

He wasn't serious about the per episode :p

It's going to be very interesting to see if Andrew can prise anything off of Animeplex for a reasonable price, afterall their BD are multi region and they might be quite happy to just force people to import from the US. They might be happy to let loose DvD versions I guess.

Also from that Theatrical comment it's clear that it's not just Anime we should expect from those 15.

They're good guys at Aniplex of America actually and I'm pretty familiar with them - so you never know. They're not out to force people to import from the US too - I can assure folk of that :).

As for theatrical - actually I only included contracts in the list which were anime...

Cathe said:
Andrew! Since the first announcement was Cowboy Bebop, which is quite an old one now.....can we have the newest one you have as the next announcement? :D (not newest as in most recent you got, newest as in which was made most recently) just so it's something different really :D

(Or if you have managed to wave your magic wand and you've got something the americans haven't, then tell us that one!) ;)

I'll announce a new one that America doesn't have yet in February - I promise :). As for next announcement - it's really a case of what I have signed and paid up as that's the point that is 100% safe to declare a title.

So while I wish I could flip back and forth by choice, it's mostly just due to when I sign stuff ^^;;;.

Andrew

Back