Anime for my niece?

skikes

Stand User
Afew weeks ago i was watching grave of the fireflies with my family, my mum, step-dad, my sister and my niece, Jasmine. She seemed to really enjoy it, she sat quietly through the whole thing only asking "wheres there mommy?" and "whats wrong with that little girl". AWKWARD lol

Well it got me thinking. START 'EM YOUNG!

Anyone recommend any good anime movies for my niece? Keep in mind she's only coming 4 lol

Ooh, my chance to say "Ghibli" before someone else does, and leave the hard thinking to the rest of you. ^_^

The other obvious thing is make sure she sees all the classic Disney movies.

ilmaestro said:
Ooh, my chance to say "Ghibli" before someone else does, and leave the hard thinking to the rest of you. ^_^

The other obvious thing is make sure she sees all the classic Disney movies.

we'll she's already seen one ghibli movie, fireflies. I got another, laputa and after watching it i just know it would never hold her attention...

Im thinking maybe spirited away. It has enough going on visually to hold a childs attention i think.

and ummm... disney isnt anime lol

Well, no, Disney isn't technically what I would refer to as "anime", either, but it's a better suggestion than almost anything else I would say.

And yeah, I guess I only consider Fireflies a "pseudo" Ghibli movie, since it's adapted from another work rather than being something original from them.

ilmaestro said:
Well, no, Disney isn't technically what I would refer to as "anime", either, but it's a better suggestion than almost anything else I would say.

And yeah, I guess I only consider Fireflies a "pseudo" Ghibli movie, since it's adapted from another work rather than being something original from them.

I dont mean to be rude, really thanks for responding but...

Theres no technically about it, disney IS NOT anime lol

Also calling fireflies a pseudo ghibli movie because its based off of something means that almost every movie disney has ever made is pseudo disney. Examples?

Beauty and the beast
The little mermaid
Aladdin
Sleeping beauty
Snow White
Cinderella
Theres more but i wont go on..

All based off of classic fairy tales. Thats without evening mentioning their rapage of Kimba the white lion lol

It's not the English word "anime". It *is* the Japanese word "anime".

Either way, I thought you were just looking for good suggestions for animated movies for your niece, if that's not the case then my bad.

ilmaestro said:
It's not the English word "anime". It *is* the Japanese word "anime".

Either way, I thought you were just looking for good suggestions for animated movies for your niece, if that's not the case then my bad.

Not ur bad... i havent had my cornflakes and felt like being smart lol

skikes said:
Also calling fireflies a pseudo ghibli movie because its based off of something means that almost every movie disney has ever made is pseudo disney. Examples?
Many ghibli movies are based on not so popular things from others' work.
Kiki, Earthsea, Laputa (inspiration from Gulliver), etc.

Definitely Spirited Away. Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service might also be suitable for a child of her age. I'm struggling to think of any non-Ghibli anime movie that would, though.

Oh, there's Panda Go Panda which is Miyazaki/Takahata before they founded Ghibli.

yeah im thinking ghibli is the best bet for now... ill go the the ones with the brightest colours lol

As soon as she's old enough to pronounce psychoanalysis i swear ill have her cosplaying as rei ayanami lol

skikes said:
yeah im thinking ghibli is the best bet for now... ill go the the ones with the brightest colours lol

As soon as she's old enough to pronounce psychoanalysis i swear ill have her cosplaying as rei ayanami lol
that would be wrong... =P

I'm thinking about moomins adn mysterious city of gold, but maybe she's too young even for that.

She might like tamagotchi though. Loads of bright colours there.

Pokemon, Bedaman. beyblade (if its still going?)

Get em into that mainstream stuff and they will be suckers for other shows as she grows.

Lucky star might be one to watch?

4 years old and watching Grave of the Fireflies? That's some hardcore niece you have there.

It also sounds like she could do with watching the Tamagotchi movie- lots of bright colours and well drawn animation. It even has a plot, which is a rarity for kids films nowadays.
third-tamagotchi-movie-announced.jpg

chaos said:
skikes said:
I'd forgotten about Kiki's, tbf. Earthsea I would consider another "pseudo" Ghibli movie, and Laputa is more "has elements inspired by" than "retelling". Also, I think most people agree Howls is not as strong as a lot of their other movies.

Although, actually looking at it, far more Ghibli movies are based on other works than I would have thought off the top of my head. I'm somehow a bit disappointed.

ilmaestro said:
chaos said:
skikes said:
I'd forgotten about Kiki's, tbf. Earthsea I would consider another "pseudo" Ghibli movie, and Laputa is more "has elements inspired by" than "retelling". Also, I think most people agree Howls is not as strong as a lot of their other movies.

Although, actually looking at it, far more Ghibli movies are based on other works than I would have thought off the top of my head. I'm somehow a bit disappointed.

You sir are an idiot. I think you'll find it very difficult to find original content, every thing has some elements from something else. What is with this pseudo nonsense you are sprouting? They are all Studio Ghibli's in their own right, be it re-telling a story of coming up with a new story. Ghibli have a talent of taking a story and adding a sparkle to it, again even if the story has been told in book form. Even those who hate anime love Studio Ghbli.

Back on topic I might suggest maybe looking into either Pani Poni Dash or Elemental Gelade. I would love to suggest 3000 Leagues In Search Of Mother but that anime is impossible to get ahold of, even as a bootleg.

Back