Anime for my niece?

Oh, I love a lot of their stuff. But in terms of merely taking inspiration from other material, and then producing an amazing, original work, as I think about it more I don't think they have quite the depth of talent that resides at, for example, Pixar. Whereas an "off the top of my" assessment would probably have had me place the two on par with each other. Although I do prefer the "feel" of several Ghibli movies.

As for my "pseudo" comment, I think Fireflies and Earthsea stand apart from the general Ghibli catalog for different reasons, but I still don't feel attached to them in the same way as Laputa/Nausicaa/Totoro/Spirited Away etc.

Also note that I don't think you're an idiot for disagreeing with me. :/

Nobody's an idiot for having an opinion here.

I watched Mysterious Cities of Gold as a wee bairn and thought it was fantastic so definitely let her give that one a try if you have access to it. There was a decent article on it up on ANN recently which might help:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/buried- ... es-of-gold

You'd be surprised how much they end up enjoying even the ones they don't fully understand. Laputa has some great ingredients to catch a child's imagination even if most of the plot sails over their head.

Not out in the UK at the moment but Sgt Frog is also full of bright colours, silly noises and cuteness. It's entertaining for grown ups as well, but should keep a child amused at the same time.

R

ilmaestro said:
Oh, I love a lot of their stuff. But in terms of merely taking inspiration from other material, and then producing an amazing, original work, as I think about it more I don't think they have quite the depth of talent that resides at, for example, Pixar. Whereas an "off the top of my" assessment would probably have had me place the two on par with each other. Although I do prefer the "feel" of several Ghibli movies.

As for my "pseudo" comment, I think Fireflies and Earthsea stand apart from the general Ghibli catalog for different reasons, but I still don't feel attached to them in the same way as Laputa/Nausicaa/Totoro/Spirited Away etc.

Also note that I don't think you're an idiot for disagreeing with me. :/

I wasn't trying to be so aggressive in my post. I meant the idiot in a light hearted manner, merely in jest. There was no malicious intent behind it, I just thought calling some of Studio Ghibli false was really unfair.

I'd probably suggest Fruits Basket but maybe she's a little too young for that.

Other than that, most movies have already been mentioned. What about Paprika? Just because of some of the visuals.

Sailor Moon if you can get hold of it.

If Laputa goes down well - how about Nadia: Secret of Blue Water (the series is good but the film is bad, very bad).

Also I know they are not anime, but how about The Iron Giant and Watership Down - the animation is a bit ropy by todays standards but it is still a good film.

skikes said:
ilmaestro said:
Well, no, Disney isn't technically what I would refer to as "anime", either, but it's a better suggestion than almost anything else I would say.

And yeah, I guess I only consider Fireflies a "pseudo" Ghibli movie, since it's adapted from another work rather than being something original from them.

I dont mean to be rude, really thanks for responding but...

Theres no technically about it, disney IS NOT anime lol

Also calling fireflies a pseudo ghibli movie because its based off of something means that almost every movie disney has ever made is pseudo disney. Examples?

Beauty and the beast
The little mermaid
Aladdin
Sleeping beauty
Snow White
Cinderella
Theres more but i wont go on..

All based off of classic fairy tales. Thats without evening mentioning their rapage of Kimba the white lion lol

Whenever this little argument happens i always like to refer people to Fruits Basket. Find the episode when they speak of that 'America anime' featuring the mouse who always outsmarts the cat and realise that the japanese don't distinguish it in this 'special' way that we westener types do. In the end anime is cartoon, and no one important cares either way.

I would actually suggest exposing her to Disney films if you want her to appreciate the japanese stuff more. Most girls i know who like this stuff usually dig the disney stuff too.

But i digress. Personally, i would suggest Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water. My eight year old niece loves watching that with me. She also liked One Piece. For girls, i would suggest going for romantic adventure types like these two and something with more natural visuals (Fruits Basket would probably be an excellent choice actually. I may show my niece that some time).

Most of this is presuming that she can already read. I can't actually remember if 4 is too young to read subtitles as I havn't been 4 for a long time. So maybe some for in a few years. :)

Shugo Chara is fairly light, the current Shugo Chara Party seems to be a bit kid oriented as well with its little intro bits.

Chi's Sweet Home.

Mermaid Melody.

Can be found in english:
Sailor Moon.
The Cat Returns.
The Last Unicorn supposedly counts according to MAL, it's one I watched at that age.
Hamtaro.
Final Fantasy Unlimited.
Samurai Pizza Cats was also around when I was a kid but not sure how easy it is to find, it is very kiddy, but she -is- 4. :)

I hope I've atleast helped a little. ^_^

Back