Anime everyone else thinks is great but you don't like

Warmaster said:
animefreak17 said:
Evangelion is a great anime you need to look beyond the series

But the series was what everyone praised in the first place...and after watching the series I don't really care about the characters or the plot enough to go any further. Which is my point :p

I have to agree with Warmaster "look beyond the series" is a pretty weak argument to try and get someone to like the series =P

There's few series that I outright dislike but quite a few I don't rate anywhere NEAR as highly as teh internets:

Evangelion, Gurren Lagann, Haruhi Suzumiya (I like the ONAs way better), Cowboy Bebop. All solid series I just don't LOVE them. I think with Bebop it was failed expectations, I went in thinking it would be an actiony anime, which it wasn't, had I been less expectant I probably woul've enjoyed it more, which is probably why I really like the movie.

Tenga Toppa Gurren Lagann.
Out of curiosity, I purchased the first two episodes from iTunes and watched them. It didn't grab me at all.

Hetalia
Then again, I have a penis.

Death Note
Okay, I don't hate it, but it definitely isn't deserving of all the praise it gets.

One Piece
I own the first 9 volumes of the manga. The series just hasn't grabbed me like other shonen series' have.

Dragonball
It bores me. I tried to get into it again with Kai, but I gave up after 6 episodes due to being thoroughly bored.

Ryu Shoji said:
Out of curiosity, I purchased the first two episodes from iTunes and watched them. It didn't grab me at all.

Hetalia

Death Note
Okay, I don't hate it, but it definitely isn't deserving of all the praise it gets.

One Piece
I own the first 9 volumes of the manga. The series just hasn't grabbed me like other shonen series' have.

Dragonball
It bores me. I tried to get into it again with Kai, but I gave up after 6 episodes due to being thoroughly bored.
you should give gurren largann a nother chance

animefreak17 said:
Ryu Shoji said:

Hetalia

Death Note

One Piece

Dragonball
you should give gurren largann a nother chance

I must have watched the first two episodes like 3 times, and it just didn't click with me.

And all the bloody Kamina quotes all over the internet made me start to hate the series xD

I watched Gurren Lagann all the way through when it was streamed, and I loathe it with a passion, so self referential and up itself.

Aquarion is a far more enjoyable parody of the mecha genre.

Cromartie High School puts me to sleep every time.

Bleach is the dullest thing ever created.

Hetalia = not funny

Excel Saga is tolerable, but I don't see it for the genius it's supposed to be. Actually I don't get Nabeshin at all, the only show of his that I do like is Tenchi GXP, and even that gets a little too much at times.

Ryu Shoji said:
I must have watched the first two episodes like 3 times, and it just didn't click with me.
You didn't just... go beyond the first two? I find that both ridiculous and intensely passionate [as an anime fan].

Jaymii said:
Ryu Shoji said:
You didn't just... go beyond the first two? I find that both ridiculous and intensely passionate [as an anime fan].

im 110% behind you on that dude i told this guy to give it another chance

Jaymii said:
Ryu Shoji said:
If a show can't capture my attention after 2 episodes, then it doesn't get a watch. As I was constantly taught in English class, it's the first chapter of a book that's supposed to encourage readers to read on, and buy the book. Needs a start that grabs you and makes you want to watch more.

GL just didn't have that for me.

TO Ryu Shoji - i watched the first disc of area 88 and i was so freaking bored but when i watched disc 2 and 3 my heart was beating like crazy it was so good. i agree at the beginning of something is boring but when the story works up and up it pulls you in that how a story works

Ryu Shoji said:
Jaymii said:
Ryu Shoji said:
If a show can't capture my attention after 2 episodes, then it doesn't get a watch. As I was constantly taught in English class, it's the first chapter of a book that's supposed to encourage readers to read on, and buy the book. Needs a start that grabs you and makes you want to watch more.

GL just didn't have that for me.

That's the current attitude to any form of entertainment. If it doesn't grab you by the balls with the first exposure to it, forget it. It's a marketing choice rather than anything to do with storytelling. It doesn't allow for the slow burn, gradual, insidious storytelling, or simple growth through word of mouth. Everything has to hit hit hit! Which is why Casshern Sins Blu part 2 gets cancelled within 36 hours.

I'm not saying that the instant hit, crack cocaine method of marketing doesn't have a place, certainly it does. But slow burners are equally as valid. That said, I found that Gurren Lagann started off average for me, and got worse the more I saw of it.

I'd perhaps argue the book analogy doesn't carry over to televisual mediums. Films, maybe - films are planned and structured over one script and story. Shows are not - writers come and go, so do directors and their idea of the story they are telling. I would have missed out on a lot of amazing things in my life if I just dropped after disliking the first chapter.

animefreak17 said:
i hate gundam seed its nothing compared to wing

I agree. Gundam Wing is much better than Seed.

Another show I don't rate - Robotech - awful dialogue.

Shows I did not like after watching 1 episode on a magazine cover disc - Divergence Eve, Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo (did not like the visuals) and Samurai Gun - watched all three episode 1s once, never again.

Just Passing Through said:
I watched Gurren Lagann all the way through when it was streamed, and I loathe it with a passion, so self referential and up itself.
Self reference, what?
It's a genre deconstruction (it's suposed to atack itself somewhat do I don't recall self reference), it's refenceing like 10 shows per ep. Go watch more 1970's/80's robot anime.

Reaper gI said:
Just Passing Through said:
Self reference, what?
It's a genre deconstruction (it's suposed to atack itself somewhat do I don't recall self reference), it's refenceing like 10 shows per ep. Go watch more 1970's/80's robot anime.

I get the genre deconstruction. It's supposed to poke fun at itself and the genre. But it's so blatant about it. Big neon signs flashing, idiotic characters, a whole tongue in cheek 'Hey, look at me, look how cool, smart and witty I am, taking the piss out of all the things that you've enjoyed about the genre in the past, and making you mugs think it's cool too' attitude that just made me say, "shut the **** up and just tell the story!"

Which is why I think Aquarion does it better.

megagold5 said:
Most of the Ghibi/Ghibli-esque "all that" artsy films by *insert acclaimed director here* aren't all they are cracked up to be, most of them are good, but nothing more.

... I would add that the Ghost in the Shell films were rubbish aswell. Stand Alone Complex was FAR superior (as a series, at least).

Some of you people make me cry. So on with making some other people cry in return:

Baccano (if you've seen Syriana or Crash, its narrative gimmick is definitely not enough to save its otherwise shallow events)
Wolf's Rain
Code Geass R2 (I enjoyed the first one)
Afro Samurai
Sword of the Stranger
Elfen Lied
Fullmetal Panic!
Gundam Wing (others are so wrong: SEED is a successful popcorn show while Wing is failed pretentious shite)
Hellsing
Kara no Kyoukai
Sarai-ya Goyou
Xam'd Lost Memories

And the mother of all heresies:
Spirited Away (I fell asleep! Twice! I will attempt to watch it a third time... one day... because being the only one in the world who can't remember much of it and hates the fact that it has an Oscar while Grave of the Fireflies doesn't is an uncomfortable position to be in)

Back