Anime everyone else thinks is great but you don't like

Warmaster

Great Teacher
I've been thinking about the previous times this has come up. (And I know I have had my argument before :p) In my case it is Evangelion. I remember watching it on the Sci Fi block back in about 2002. At the time I was not on the net all that much and certainly not for Anime. To be bluntly honest I thought it was Meh (especially next to Nadesico, which was also on at the time) and the last two episodes were diabolically bad. I put it right out of mind on the 'naff' pile.

Then I start checking about on the net a few years later and people treat the thing like a holy object. To this day I really can't believe that people often claim it is 'the best Anime ever' etc. I'd put a dozen or more mecha shows above it at least.

So what's your piece of junk that everyone else thinks is a sports car? :p

animefreak17 said:
Evangelion is a great anime you need to look beyond the series

But the series was what everyone praised in the first place...and after watching the series I don't really care about the characters or the plot enough to go any further. Which is my point :p

Dragos mentioned that with the other movies coming out from FUNi, that it be better to just watch them then the entire series

How long have you got?

Black Butler
K-On
Zero no Tsukaima
Seto no Hanayome
Hetalia
Gurren Lagann.

It's not that I necessarily hate them, it's more just that I was totally apathetic.

Apart from ZnT. Screw that show, seriously.

Like Irony said, I don't hate these (some I actually have enjoyed) but there are aspects from them I can't really find great; compared to other people:

Baka to Test
K-ON!
Elfen Lied
Star Driver
My-Hime

Most of the Ghibi/Ghibli-esque "all that" artsy films by *insert acclaimed director here* aren't all they are cracked up to be, most of them are good, but nothing more.

The two things that partiularly come to mind though, are Howl's Moving Castle (which I just thought sucked) and Azumanga Daioh (which I only found funny when watching it in a group and sort of being cued by other people laughing. On my own, not that funny at all).

Hmmm...Just had a quick look at MAL. I would add that the Ghost in the Shell films were rubbish aswell. Stand Alone Complex was FAR superior (as a series, at least).

Highly rated and don't like:
*looks at actual list of what is highly rated first*
From the top 128 (down to 8.5/10 average on DB):
Full Metal Alchemist(2009)
Seirei no Moribito
Hagane no Renkinjutsushi(2003)
Natsume Yuujincho (season 2)
The Melacncholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (2005)
My Neigbour Totoro

Generaly I like all the high rated shows I've seen.
Do check the stuff you are trashing is actualy high rated guys.

I've not got down the list to things as bad as K-on!, the Eva TV series (just rebuild), or Ghost in the Shell (but have passed both seasons of SAC) yet.

Elfen Lied
K-ON
Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle
Ghost in the Shell
Evangelion
Gurren Lagann
Azumanga Daioh
Samurai Champloo
Ranma 1/2
Ah! My Goddess
Dead Leaves
Appleseed (2004)
Angel Beats
Saikano
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade
Chrno Crusade
Excel Saga
Mai-Hime
Death Note
Soul Eater
Valkyria Chronicles
Shinryaku! Ika Musume
Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt
Twelve Kingdoms

COME AT ME BRO

Saikano i hate this anime with all my bean
1 i hate the ending
2 i hate the characters
3 i hate the plot
4 everything its a depressing anime

well critics are paid too say nice things about movies and series, its actually up the the individual that watches theses movies and series the praise the need

Maxon said:
Reaper gI said:

I was unaware that every website on the internet was in agreement of what should be highly rated. How embarrassing.
You could also debate on people's different extent of "not liking" something. 3/10? 4? 5?

animefreak17 said:
well critics are paid too say nice things about movies and series, its actually up the the individual that watches theses movies and series the praise the need
Critics get paid to say things; not necessarily good, not necessarily bad. Just their opinion. Don't be a tool.

Is this series I think are bad that lots of people like?
- Honey and Clover
- Mai Hime
- Natsume Yuujinchou
- Outlaw Star

Or really big and popular series that I just don't think are anywhere near as good as they're made out to be?
- Akira
- Afro Samurai
- Angel Beats!
- Code Geass
- Revolutionary Girl Utena
- Samurai Champloo

Jaymii said:
Maxon said:
Reaper gI said:

I was unaware that every website on the internet was in agreement of what should be highly rated. How embarrassing.
You could also debate on people's different extent of "not liking" something. 3/10? 4? 5?
There's good agreement between MAL, ANN and AniDB, whole point of using a ratings agregator, it does use many opinions.

Baring in mind the very bottom is about 5/10. (with outliers), the top 9/10 (with outliers).
Bit like games reveiews everything is overrated so:

not like would be at about 7/10 maybe

8+=very good, 7-8 = okay, 7-6 = dislike, 6-= bad

Of course there's good agreement between MAL, ANN, and AniBD, it's almost certainly the same group of people who can be bothered to enter ratings on each site.

Not to mention the irony that you are admitting to applying your own assumptions of what a rating "really" means, and to the massive flaws in a ten point rating system that doesn't actually get used properly.

I guess Clannad would be the most obvious choice for me. After a decent couple of opening episodes things took a turn for the worse when Fuko was introduced. Every time she was on screen I wanted to bury my head in wet cement. Her unbearably mawkish story arc went on and on, eventually culminating in some of the cheesiest scenes I have ever witnessed in any form of entertainment. There was no coming back from that.

The rest of it wasn't nearly as bad (though I faceplamed hard at the utterly cliched way in which the basketball match played out) but still not very engaging, and the distinct story arcs made the show feel oddly segmented and piecemeal. The two OVAs, however, I enjoyed a lot, mainly because they focused on the more interesting characters and had some actual romance. They did more in 24 minutes than the series did in 24 episodes.

Back