Anime DVD UK quality vs US quality

Tind

Dandy Guy, in Space
9yzc3nuozx34kgrkl0qf.jpg

Hey there!
We all know that some animes have differences in box quality if we compare the US release with the UK release, however I now know that sometimes there are differences in DVD quality too. If any1 knows any differences that he/she experienced, please share here.

Myself I start the topic with my favorite anime, Dance in the Vampire Bund, which unfortunately has quality differences compared to the USA release. Since I own both UK and US DVD releases of Dance in the Vampire Bund, so I took the time and completely disassembled both DVD releases, so here are the differences that I found between the US and UK Dance in the Vampire Bund DVD releases (some are minor but some are really irritating):

-menu: Manga changed the menu backround and menu music in the UK DVD
example of US and UK DVD DISK 2:

Why? Don't know, don't care. Personally, I think the UK DVD's menu is better (not just the backround and music, but the buttons too, it was irritating to find that at the US DVD the "back button" is the bat on the bottom of the screen):

35cq1ys96g2wfbhlzfix.png
VS
7k0se5zum2ngbnsee85a.png

-missprint: first I thought that Manga changed the number of episodes on disk 1, because the inner cover in the DVD case says that DISK 1 has 7 episodes (the US has 6), however it "only" has 6 episodes as the US DVD (and DISK 2 has the other 6 episodes).

Not to mention that under this missprint, there is another one, where they say we get 6 extras: "Intermission 1-12", "Original Japanese commercials", "Pomotional video", "Textless songs", "Trailers". We got all of these, except the trailers.

-extras Not counting the American anime trailers, both releases has the same extras:

-lower bitrate: the UK release has higher resolution because of the PAL format (720x576) compared the the US release's NTSC format (720x480), because of this the size of the video file is larger, so Manga had to reduce the bitrate so it could fit the DVD9 disk, however Manga wen't overboard with the bitrate reduce.

Bitrate comparison:
1bghn5cv4k0i3f3f8s4j.png

To make things worse, Funimation used 5.1 audio at the creditless OP and ED to bring out the max from the extras, however, Manga used 2.0 audio instead!

DVD size comparison:
wtscl96ftjxhwbt1tqwc.png

Manga is using DVD9 disks too, so why did they have to leave ~1,5 GB space free and lower the quality instead? Just by removing the American anime trailers from DISK 2 they gained an extra 500 MB space...standing really close to the TV I can spot picture distortion at the UK DVD....but at least it's just 1-2 pixels which can be hardly spoted, if some one is watching the TV from normal distance. But still the fact is, instead of using all available space, they just lowered the video and audio quality and changed 5.1 audio at certain points to 2.0 audio for no true reason.

-Audio lines not coded properly+trash
I found 3 audio tracks that are not coded properly:
1) creditless OP audio track
2) creditless ED audio track
3) menu backround audio track (1) and 3) are using the same badly coded tracks)

They were probably trying to convert the 5.1 audio to 2.0 (still don't know why...) but they did not encode the new audio tracks properly, since now they have the sound quality if some one recorded it while sitting on the toilet. Last time I saw (I mean heard) same quality audio when I was editing DVD audio tracks and 2x 2.0 tracks were next to each other perfectly synced. I made 2 videos showing you guys the differences in the audio quality:

UK & US creditless OP comparison (audio quality):

UK & US creditless ED comparison (audio quality):

(The reason why the US audio sounds a bit slower is because of the NTSC format and FPS differences)

The background music in the menu is using the audio track from creditless OP, so of course, the music in the menu is badly coded too. Personally I think most of the buyers think that creditless OP and ED are the most important extras on a DVD and not the trailers so for me it is a bit irritating that they screwed them...but at least the trailers and intermissions are fine.

I have to mention also that DISK 2 is full of trash. All extras only have Japanese audio tracks (Funimation did not dub the extras), however Manga put the same audio tracks on all extras, 2 times, only difference that they marked the 2nd Japanese track as "English". For this reason even tho they had to make 1,5 GB+ free space on the DISK, they waisted 33,5 MB (they used the same subtitles 2x times too) of space with trash (not to mention that the IFO files are full of trash too).

I tried out what could happen if I convert the American NTSC audio to UK PAL and on first attempt I got same bad quality too, but on second attempt I tried a different way to encode it and this time it was ok.

Comparison of the original Audio and the reencoded (to my ear "fixed") audio:

(The reason why the other audio has higher sound is because the sound was a bit low on my TV's built in speakers, so I amplified it)

If I could hear that the first attempt to encode was not good, than why didn't the person in charge of this at Manga hear this?

Oh and +1 more for trash, because when I was looking through the IFO files, I found this:

6u7gixviit9kgmbcfz99.png

What does Dance in the Vampire Bund got to do with Vampire Knight, besides the fact that Manga is the distributor for both series?

Long story short, what do you get for paying for the UK Dance in the Vampire Bund DVD?
If you buy the official UK release of Dance in the Vampire Bund, you get a factory defective DVD that almost has (or at some points maybe even worse) the quality of an illegal Chinese bootleg release from Malaysia. Are we happy? I'm not.

(Nobody tell me that the mentioned audio tracks are fine, they are not!...or in Britain it is normal for music to sound like if I was listening to it on the toilet?)

Let's summ the problems I found:
-3 not correctly coded audio track
-unnecessary converted 5.1 audio to 2.0
-unnecessary lowered bitrate
-a lot of trash left in the video files and IFO files

So, 2 questions:
- Who do I need to contact to get a full refund? If I wan't a cheap bootleg, I order 1 from Malaysia through Ebay
- If I send this information to Manga that this release is factory defective (I don't think that I only got a lemon), I wonder, will they recall all releases and fix them (technically they should, since the current release is defective and UK probably has a law too that prohibits selling factory defective merchandise) ?

ps: Please don't ask me to provide the audio tracks that I encoded or the patch I made to apply fixes easily to the disks, because technically Manga owns them, so I can't make them public.

Price
Forgot to compare prices -_- I tried to search for lowest prices for both releases and the prices I found are:
US ->30 GBP
UK ->15 GBP

The US price is 2x higher, however you get 2x DVD and 2x Blu-Ray disks packed separately in DVD cases which can be found in a bigger, specially designed hard box, with overall better disk quality, while the UK DVD just comes in a plastic DVD case with worser quality DVD disks.
So, the UK DVD is exactly what you pay for...it has half the price, but you don't get BR disks, you get worser quality packaging and overall worser quality anime disks. Just like a bootleg from Malaysia lol :D

Impressively exhaustive post (to the extent that I didn't read it all, in the interests of honesty). Probably worth including "price" as one of your comparisons, though, for complete fairness.

ilmaestro said:
Impressively exhaustive post (to the extent that I didn't read it all, in the interests of honesty). Probably worth including "price" as one of your comparisons, though, for complete fairness.

Sorry 'bout that, I edited the post.

Wow, that's some impressive work. Those videos show a clear difference in the audio quality of the songs.

Tind said:
- If I send this information to Manga that this release is factory defective (I don't think that I only got a lemon), I wonder, will they recall all releases and fix them (technically they should, since the current release is defective and UK probably has a law too that prohibits selling factory defective merchandise
I very much doubt that will happen. They brushed off complaints about Haruhi S2's mono audio, blaming Australia's Madman (who author most of Manga's DVDs), so I don't think they'll be interested in things most people wouldn't notice or care about.

Wow and wow and they expect us to buy their releases after screwing over customers several times? They really should double check some one's work in there.

animefreak17 said:
@Tind

what series did they screw us over on

Dance in the Vampire Bund and it seems Haruhi S02 too. Releasing something with mono audio instead of the default stereo or something with not properly encoded audio tracks are not considered a proper release in my book.

Illegal Chinese bootleg makers can afford screw ups like this, but not an official distributor (expesially if that distributor marketises itself as "The UK's largest and best anime distributor.").

If MangaUK releases are like Schrödinger's cat, I think I pass on them and import it from the US instead.

(By "Schrödinger's cat" I mean that until I open the box, I can't tell if MangaUK's release is a good release OR a bootleg quality release)

Don't have time to read all of it right now, but the changed menus won't be manga's fault directly as those are almost certainly done by Madman. Madman's Kiddy Grade menus were an improvement on FUNi's in terms of design (although I think they skimped on chapter selections IIRC).
The PAL conversion will also mean that the video quality will not be identical, unless they are just using speedup.

Tind said:
- Who do I need to contact to get a full refund? If I wan't a cheap bootleg, I order 1 from Malaysia through Ebay
- If I send this information to Manga that this release is factory defective (I don't think that I only got a lemon), I wonder, will they recall all releases and fix them (technically they should, since the current release is defective and UK probably has a law too that prohibits selling factory defective merchandise) ?
Message Manga on Twitter, that'll be good for a laugh.

I'm pretty sure being lower quality doesn't actually count as being defective; you can still watch and listen to the show in reasonable quality. It's not like it was recorded off TV with a Handycam. Lower video bitrate is a little annoying, but it's a DVD, it's never gonna be great. We have Blu-ray for that now. As for the audio quality on menus and credit-less op & ed extras, I don't actually think would be possible for me to give less of a toss. Despite your exhaustive (and very interesting) findings, I really don't think Manga or the vast majority of buyers would notice anything wrong with this release.

As a casual viewer (as in, no idea about the technicalities of audio or video quality) I didn't notice anything wrong with the show itself, but the audio during the menus did sound a bit off. But hey, I usually only look at the video for 2-5 seconds (or more if the remote isn't in my hand).

ayase said:
Tind said:
Message Manga on Twitter, that'll be good for a laugh.

I'm pretty sure being lower quality doesn't actually count as being defective; you can still watch and listen to the show in reasonable quality. It's not like it was recorded off TV with a Handycam. Lower video bitrate is a little annoying, but it's a DVD, it's never gonna be great. We have Blu-ray for that now. As for the audio quality on menus and credit-less op & ed extras, I don't actually think would be possible for me to give less of a toss. Despite your exhaustive (and very interesting) findings, I really don't think Manga or the vast majority of buyers would notice anything wrong with this release.

It is true, that lower bitrate means almost nothing, the main reason for my ranting are the bad coded audio tracks. There are people who don't care, but there are who do.

Oh, and I allready posted it on Twitter :D They replied that they used Madman's Region 2 PAL DVD replication master...seems something's fishy in Australia and seems Manga doesn't like to repair bad replication masters.

Also, thumbs up for the grammar nazi at Manga: "BTW, there is no such word as "worser"! " :D

Here's a question about the US discs...

Do you get the weird cross-colouration in certain, not all scenes?

Here's a link to an example image...

http://www.myreviewer.com/Image_uploaded_by_Jitendar_Canth_DVD_JPEG/a145289

See where the highlighted girl is, where darker shades contrast with lighter ones, her uniform and blouse, or her hair against her skin, there's this weird blue bloom...

Is that the same on the US DVD disc, or dare I even ask, the Blu-ray?

Just Passing Through said:
Here's a question about the US discs...

Do you get the weird cross-colouration in certain, not all scenes?

Here's a link to an example image...

http://www.myreviewer.com/Image_uploaded_by_Jitendar_Canth_DVD_JPEG/a145289

See where the highlighted girl is, where darker shades contrast with lighter ones, her uniform and blouse, or her hair against her skin, there's this weird blue bloom...

Is that the same on the US DVD disc, or dare I even ask, the Blu-ray?

Do you know the episode number and time where this screenshot was taken ?

Tind said:
I checked, US DVD and even the Blu-Ray has that blue bloom.

Yuck! So either that's a creative decision at SHAFT who animated the thing, and SHAFT are known for their freaky animation techniques., which is all too possible given that it's a selective issue...

Or the Japanese shafted (heh), the Western markets by supplying dodgy source materials to all.

EDIT: Thanks for checking... :wink:

And it looks like you kicked off another classic Manga Twitter rant...

Congratulations! :lol:

Just Passing Through said:
Tind said:
I checked, US DVD and even the Blu-Ray has that blue bloom.

Yuck! So either that's a creative decision at SHAFT who animated the thing, and SHAFT are known for their freaky animation techniques., which is all too possible given that it's a selective issue...

Or the Japanese shafted (heh), the Western markets by supplying dodgy source materials to all.

And it looks like you kicked off another classic Manga Twitter rant...

Congratulations! :lol:

To quote Lance Corporal Jack Jones (Dad's Army),

They don't like it up 'em!

Somehow I can't really accept the "We are a small company" reasoning for releasing something with bad encoded audio tracks.

Tind said:
Somehow I can't really accept the "We are a small company" reasoning for releasing something with bad encoded audio tracks.

The professional response would be...

"I appreciate your observations, and have passed them on to the relevant quality control people at Madman Entertainment who author the discs, the rest is out of our hands..."

or words to that effect.

A quick and diplomatic answer...

But no... classic Twitter freak-out.

Back