Anime derailed from the Manga

GolGotha

Death Scythe
I brought this up in the Chatroom last night and thought it would be interesting to see what other people thought.

What anime had derailed from the Manga/Light Novel, that you would like to see remade?

I would of like to of seen a better adaptation of Gantz.

Chrono Crusade. I've just finished reading the manga yesterday and its ending was much better than that of the anime.

Bamboo Blade ! - but both versions worked well and it was only about half way through the manga, 3/4s the way through the anime that the change occurred. As a fan I'm happy with both.

Appleseed. The original anime was basically just one of the four volumes, plus the reason behind the story name was completely dropped from the anime. Successive anime got worse, becoming more style over substance. The last series was even worse (didn't even realise it was completed as fan subbers dropped it and it got poor reviews in Japan - but else where they have suggested it's licence has been picked up for the US).

Nausicaa. The anime is good, but only covers the first arc of the manga series, changes lots of elements resulting in a different story.

seconding Nausicaa.

I would say Rozen maiden, but that's being made.

If we interpret the topic slightly more loosely, Tsukihime would be fairly high up as well.

I did say in the description Manga/Light Novel, I was going to say that in the title as well, but decided to trim it as it looked better.

But yes, if it derailed from the original source then feel free to mention it.

I always say the same but Tsubasa cries out for a complete remake.

The anime series twisted it beyond recognition. Its a shame because after volume 16 of the manga it was on a whole other level. It could have been amazing. The OVA's just gave a glimpse of what could have been possible.

The answers in the thread already are quite robust!

If we want to extend the discussion as far as shows that were left hanging half way through an adaptation, I would like to add Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu, and Seiken no Blacksmith.

Shakugan no Shana
My first vote will undoubtedly go to Shakugan no Shana. So much was cut out from the light novels. It made some it really jarring to watch - especially season 3, when we have characters appear who we're supposed to know, but don't and how the hell did Yuji end up talking to the Snake of the Festival in the first place? I was really looking forward to the movie, as I heard it was a more accurate telling of the first novel (which the anime decided to mix up by jamming the second novel's story into it too). But nooo, they had to shoe-horn Margery Daw in there as well.
J.C. Staff really ballsed that one up...in fact, what source material hasn't J.C. Staff butchered? In fact, why don't I just go with:

Every Anime Adaptation J.C. Staff has ever done?

Now, onto something else:

Black Cat
The original manga was 20 volumes long...but the anime decided to take that story and squeeze as much as they could into 20 episodes (the last 4 episodes are anime-only). I loved the Black Cat manga, but the anime fell flat for me. Hell, the anime randomly changed Shiki's gender 9.9.

Joshawott said:
Shakugan no Shana
My first vote will undoubtedly go to Shakugan no Shana. So much was cut out from the light novels. It made some it really jarring to watch - especially season 3, when we have characters appear who we're supposed to know, but don't and how the hell did Yuji end up talking to the Snake of the Festival in the first place? I was really looking forward to the movie, as I heard it was a more accurate telling of the first novel (which the anime decided to mix up by jamming the second novel's story into it too). But nooo, they had to shoe-horn Margery Daw in there as well.
J.C. Staff really ballsed that one up...in fact, what source material hasn't J.C. Staff butchered? In fact, why don't I just go with:

Now, onto something else:

Black Cat
The original manga was 20 volumes long...but the anime decided to take that story and squeeze as much as they could into 20 episodes (the last 4 episodes are anime-only). I loved the Black Cat manga, but the anime fell flat for me. Hell, the anime randomly changed Shiki's gender 9.9.

Agree on both counts. For Shana, Season 3 could have essentially been a completely different anime. All the new characters were interesting but you're right, they were just thrown at us with little to no explanation.

I just recently watched Black Cat and it made me really tempted to read the manga because you could just feel there was so much more to it. Even knowing nothing about the series, I could feel when it became filler as it started to lose sense.

Both very deserving of a remake.

Joshawott said:
J.C. Staff really ballsed that one up...in fact, what source material hasn't J.C. Staff butchered?
Azumanga Daioh, Nodame Cantabile, Railgun, Toradora!, Bakuman, Taisho Yakyuu Musume, Zakuro, Hayate, could go on for a while...

JC Staff have made a lot of shows.

Also worth pointing out that there are a lot of people who think that the source material for Shana sucks after the first few volumes anyway, same with Zero no Tsukaima.

Joshawott said:
Not by a long shot, they have enough hits amongst the bad light novel adaptations. Their jousei shows are strong too.
Nodame Cantabile, honey and clover, Taishou Yakyuu Musume, Aoi Hana.

They just produce so much and have been going so long that Sturgeon's Law clearly applies.

I'll post anyway, despite not being fastest.

ilmaestro said:
Joshawott said:
J.C. Staff really ballsed that one up...in fact, what source material hasn't J.C. Staff butchered?
Azumanga Daioh, Nodame Cantabile, Railgun, Toradora!, Bakuman, Taisho Yakyuu Musume, Zakuro, Hayate, could go on for a while...

JC Staff have made a lot of shows.

Also worth pointing out that there are a lot of people who think that the source material for Shana sucks after the first few volumes anyway, same with Zero no Tsukaima.
Going to have to pick up on this post with respect to the topic
Nodame Cantabile.
I've seen all of the anime, the live action, and read all of the manga up to the point Viz dropped the series, and by that point the anime very very close to the manga (as was the live action).

Bakuman
The only difference between the anime and manga (Manga volume 17, anime Series 3, episode 17) is that they dropped the 'cheat studio' story from volume 16 - which I personally was not bothered about as I felt the author showed he was struggling for inspiration with that one. In fact they are so close I had to stop watching after #17 as I was going to have to wait over a month for volume 18 to come out and I wanted to read it before watching the story.

Reaper gI said:
I'll post anyway, despite not being fastest.
Heh, I was quite glad for the backup, the "JC Staff are the devil" attitude seems to be super popular these days, I'm glad to see I'm not going crazy.

ilmaestro said:
To be honest, with Shakugan no Shana III -FINAL-, I often found myself sitting there thinking "Why are the Crimson Denizens the bad guys again?". If anything, I saw the Flame Haze as more of the villains in that series.

manga_addicted95 said:
I second this. The Ala Alba and Magic World OVAs were the only bits that even came close to doing the manga justice. The first series focused on the not-so-great pseudo harem stuff from the beginning, pre-Genre shift. The second series was a pretty good surreal action-comedy in its own right, but it was more it's own thing when I would have liked a proper adaptation. The final movie I'm mixed about...but in the end I thought it ended up being a much better ending than the ACTUAL ending!

I just loved the way Negima evolved into a huge shounen action fantasy manga with breathtaking scope, meaningful character development and great battles. In an ideal world, Akiyuki Shinbo and SHAFT would be put in charge of a long-running, faithful adaptation of Negima from beginning to almost-the-end. They could then improve on the manga's horrible, horrible ending :wink:

Rosario+Vampire. The Mangas had so much potential but sadly wasted by turning into a fansevice laden comedy. Now don't get me wrong, I love the Anime but compared to the Mangas it just felt that there was a whole lot missing.

Joshawott said:
ilmaestro said:
To be honest, with Shakugan no Shana III -FINAL-, I often found myself sitting there thinking "Why are the Crimson Denizens the bad guys again?". If anything, I saw the Flame Haze as more of the villains in that series.
It suffers pretty badly from some of the common pitfalls of overly-lengthy serials with convoluted storylines/a million characters, yeah.

Back