Anime Con News Round-Up for BEEZ, MVM and other Info!

christor said:
ou can get the UK singles for a fiver each from Anime-On-Line (though you'll have mismatched spines, argh). The cheapest I can find the re-released box set is £28.99 (the orginal box set is OOP). Hope that helps.

Ooh thanks that is quite cheap! United publications have a 'bargain bundle' for £21.00 for all volumes but if you have to pay postage on all 7 volumes then the other option may be cheaper (with free postage!)

And you save some space!

Otaku-san said:
Neferpitou said:
BEEZ

BEEZ are looking into seeing if the USA rights for Magical Index and Scientific Railgun include the UK rights.

I'm sorry, what do you mean by these rights exactly. I thought Beez wouldn't be able to pick up a FUNi title (or FUNi let them). Had the impression that they only got stuff from Bandai, with the likes of Haruhi, Gundam or Eureka if you catch my vibe
FUNi does not get the UK rights for all the shows they license. If they only have US rights for these series then they're fair game for Beez. If they do, then a UK release will almost certainly come from Manga.
Beez and Bandai Entertainment are sister companies, but they do not automatically get all Bandai titles and they are also able to license titles independently, and it looks like they've recently been given more latitude in that respect from the comment "Andrew says he’s interested in looking at older titles now that he has the necessary remit to do so".

JohnC said:
BEEZ are curious to know if they think licensing Japanese live action TV series would be appealing?
Are people even aware of them?
YES and I would pay for them if they were download-to-own (neither streams or discs of them are of use to me, though I imagine the latter being preferable for the fangirls one would want to aim these at – and anything is an improvement over streams) as well as well-translated (i.e. better than fan subs of them tend to be) and HD when available and reasonably priced.

Crunchyroll have got it spot on by licensing the trashy, low-budget, comic-ish ones I like and giving them subtitles that go for the more humorous option of possible translations and don't use Japanese terms when they do have a perfectly fine and succinct English translation (which does not include replacing names of mythological creatures – and raccoon dogs – with the translator's choice of western analogues, by the way). But as they only offer subscriptions and non-savable streams I'm forced to continue using illegal fan subs if I want trashy dramas I can take on a USB drive to friends and laugh over with them as I like to, without spending half the time trying to work around the frustration of streams.

Back