Anime central on the way out?

evangelion rocks

Vampire Ninja
As many viewers will know,for the last few weeks anime central has been repeatedly re-running cowoby bebop and both series of ghost in the shell in triple bills,using up all of the timeslots.With cowboy bebop being finished every week or so, people are beginning to tire of the same episodes week after week, evidence of which can be seen on the channels forums(the topic now has 9 pages and rising every day!).Rumours had began to circulate that anime central would be beginning a new schedule on april 1st,but one look at the sky epg will tell us otherwise.Another mystery surrounding the situation is that according to the channel itself, there will be "big changes" coming,which no-one from the channel has commented on.could the party be over for anime central, or have they just stopped to clean up the vomit that gi joe left behind?

I've noticed the same thing, in that they just seem to be repeating the same old stuff without bringing through anything new. It's worrying, and their apparent silence on all of this worries me even more. We've already been through all of this with Rapture and Anime Network so the signs aren't good, but I guess all we can do is just sit tight and wait for some news. If the BARB ratings are anything to go by, it hasn't exactly captured the imagination of the public, but at the same time, they went and produced those cosplay skits earlier in the year, which goes to show they are making an effort. I've always assumed that while an anime channel could be popular, it will take a lot of time just to break the public perception of 'cartoons'. Also, logically, their primary audience is teenage, but their time slots are fairly inconvenient; most teenagers won't be able to wrestle control of the TV from their parents during 7PM till around 11PM, so expanding to day-time and introducing more shonen jump style anime ala Dragonball Z, Bleach, Yu Yu Hakusho and One Piece is probably best. Also, they should get Death Note if they haven't already.

I just had a quick look at their Ofcom license, which was apparently updated earlier in March (which may mean they've renewed it for another year, not sure, really).

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/tvlicensing/cs/1509.htm

they have mentioned something big, but god knows when that will happen, i'm assuming they're doing 1 last run of these 2 shows then changing it again

but god knows what they're thinking tbh.

As for going to daytime, not going to happen aslong as they share the same sattelite as pop girl

the lack of communication from the channel is one of the main things that bothers me,not only because no-one from the channel is on the forums(unlike anime network)but also that it's almost impossible to find contact details relating to the channel and not just the website.perhaps if just one member of staff was present on the forums they could reassure the viewers.

Maybe the "big news" is that Pop Girl is going 24/7? I can't help but remember what happened to CNX, which also seemed to air Cowboy Bebop and DBZ continuously until it became Toonami. Thinking about it, I'll be really surprised if AC comes out of this in-tact, considering how they are obviously ignoring the fans' questions on their own forums, which is just like Anime Network all over again. Why ignore your fanbase if you intend to nurture them in the future?

I still think the shedules flew by too fast. It was one of the reasons I stopped watching. I simply couldn't keep up.

Paul said:
Maybe the "big news" is that Pop Girl is going 24/7? I can't help but remember what happened to CNX, which also seemed to air Cowboy Bebop and DBZ continuously until it became Toonami. Thinking about it, I'll be really surprised if AC comes out of this in-tact, considering how they are obviously ignoring the fans' questions on their own forums, which is just like Anime Network all over again. Why ignore your fanbase if you intend to nurture them in the future?

The possibility that they could be merging anime central with another channel from their group,and only using the anime in an "adult swim" fashion,don't forget that the original name for anime central was "toon central" or something to that extent, and there were recent plans for a "pop boy" channel to be added too.Perhaps the big news is that from 6am to 9pm the channel will have more kid friendly shows or anime as you suggested and from 9pm to 6pm the anime block airs.Like you said, i guess all we can do is wait and see(wait deja vous!)

They are probably just re-showing thse over easter like they did with mass re-runs over christmas, I mean, I wouldnt want to go in over easter and make sure all the new shows were running smoothly and the such-like. Just re-run everything so we dont have too much work:D As for the "big news", it will probably just be the third season of bleach, which is great and all, but it isnt THAT great....

The "big news" as everyone has mentioned might be mentioned during the MCM Expo in may. Its a bit of a stretch time-wise, But, Its probably the easiest way for a announcement. Also; I've only followed a couple've shows via it, And, Its a really hard thing to do (Therefore, Sky + helped). AC are going for the mostly episodic types of shows in which they have most definately got enough now. I think they basically need to sort out their schedule and make it a weekly/bi-weekly episode situation. Getting a hold of some more shows, which in turn would help make if go 24/7 if it does, or at least stops the repetitive nature of shows each night.

To be honest, They still need to advertise the channel, A LOT more. I know its a expensive thing to do, But, I still get friends saying to me "oh? did you know there was a anime channel. I never knew that". The ones they aired might've caught the attention to a few people, But, Some proper adverts airing their material surely would have worked more successfully. ;x

I hope this is not bad news for AC, we still need a public outlet on TV for anime. I only watched a few series on the channel myself as most of the stuff they showed I already have.

I still think one if the big problems it has is that it starts all of its shows as a block, viewers don't want to watch any of the shows in that block they loose a viewer for a month or whatever it take to show all the episodes of the shows in that block. What they should look at is starting new shows say a week apart that way they should always have shows that are just starting or just coming to an end, that way they may only loose a viewer for a week or so until a show they wanted started up.

The other thing as mentioned is, an episode a night is quite hard to follow, maybe they should look at theamed nights, this would allow fans of specific genres to pick and choose their viewing better.

I hope AC hits it head on the way out because AC schedule was awful (Miss a day and you miss the whole anime). Not everyone has Sky + but the idiots at AC think they do.

The other thing as mentioned is, an episode a night is quite hard to follow, maybe they should look at theamed nights, this would allow fans of specific genres to pick and choose their viewing better.

Yeah, Good point. That's the best idea and yet, AC haven't used it.

Frankly, if AC goes. Then Good ridance. I rather buy expensive DVDs than watching a channel that doesn't do any justice except repeats of 2 anime or more FMA[/quote]

I wondered why this schedule for this channel was starting to become a pain though I'll shoot myself if as part of their "Big-changes", they show Fulmetal Alchemist again.

AC is an FTA channel. Maybe your dish needs to be re-aligned if you're not picking it up.

I wouldn't bother rushing, though, until AC start getting their act together.

Oh? Which channel number? I see it has another name durning the day?
EDIT:
ah i see 199, hmm i'll have a look and see what thats listed as on my DVBviewer listing.

evangelion rocks said:
Paul said:

The possibility that they could be merging anime central with another channel from their group,and only using the anime in an "adult swim" fashion,don't forget that the original name for anime central was "toon central" or something to that extent, and there were recent plans for a "pop boy" channel to be added too.Perhaps the big news is that from 6am to 9pm the channel will have more kid friendly shows or anime as you suggested and from 9pm to 6pm the anime block airs.Like you said, i guess all we can do is wait and see(wait deja vous!)

The adult swim type block won't happen on one of the kid channels however I could see it happening on Scuzz etc.

CSC are fairly happy with NME and it pulls in about 3000-5000 viewers, looking at the animecentral forum with 2000 members it's not exactly god awful and I hazzard a guess there are a few more fans who aren't on the forum.

I don't actually care for Bleach but when it airs on AC the viewing figures rise and it's no coincidence that the figures have fallen after it stopped.

I really hope it sticks around and they come out with a cracking new schedule. It's just unfortunate that the channel doesn't have more financial backing.
Anyone know of an update on Animax in the UK?

Back